Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. Johnny Drunkard

Johnny Drunkard Todo utz Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    ScotsFire likes this.
  3. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can’t help ya with your inquiry man, but it’s damn good to hear from you Royce.
    noshoes and infinityjellyd like this.
  4. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    Chris:
    Sorry I'm late to the tire party...
    On my way back home from long trip I contacted one of the CycleGear stores on the TX side of border and told them what I was up to ...
    They were VERY accommodating...
    I ordered in the tire they held it for me ...
    When I got there I dropped the back wheel of the bike they mounted up the new tire and I was on my way again ...
    shiryas likes this.
  5. Bar None

Oddometer:
    I know that there use to be a ferry from Florida to Cancun and was hoping that it was starting up again.
    Last time I went to Mexico I rode from Florida to the Panama Canal in 1997.
  6. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am interested! interest is about as far as Ill get, have a good trip!
    chilejack likes this.
  7. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or Bar none , you could be 6 months too early for that old April fool's joke of a news item :jack
    If you open the link you gave and then tap on the green bar at bottom of page ,then > Home, you will find the date March 12 2006 at the left bottom.

There has never been a reliable ferry service running for any extended period between Florida and the Yucatan ( okay "never" may be too strong a term ,perhaps there was a sailing vessel or paddle wheel steamer way back:lol3)
    Only several big build-up publicity campaigns followed by an ill planned attempt and near-immediate cessation have happened in the last fifty years . You may be thinking of the one run where a boat was found to start service to Progreso but on its first arrival it was discovered that the pier facility and shallow water made docking impossible so they had to hunt around and wound up at Cancun . They were never back for another trip .
    Soon there may be other new rumours of a ferry service to come . Mexico News Daily reported that an Italian company is going to spend many millions of dollars to start a new ship building facility at Progreso . They will of course need docks and stuff built and such might be an incentive to revive plans for ferry connections to the USA
  8. Mane

Mane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi folks, I'm currently in planning stage for a trip next year.

Going from Veracruz, MX to Corpus Christi, TX, which according to google maps it could be stretch between 1200km and 1400km. I would like to do this in two to three days.

For the first night stop I thinking Tampico is the best bet, but after that which cities/route would be the best in term of accommodations a safety? Which border crossing offer the best "expierience", McAllen or Brownville?

Regards,
    Mane
    shiryas likes this.
  9. Bar None

Oddometer:
    One can dream can't he?
    When I use to live in Houston it was no problem to ride to the border.
    Me on the way to British Honduras in 1966 or so. Camped out most of the way.

img160.jpg

The time I rode down to the Panama Canal in 1997 with Pancho Villa Motor Tours I rode from Florida to the border. Froze my ass off getting to Texas. Ice on the bikes at the crossing into Mexico.
    A ferry to the Yucatan would be wonderful!
    Oh, I forgot about the time my wife and I bought a old truck and drove it down to Belize to give it to one of my sisters and her husband. They needed it for their farm. That was probably 1970 or so. We flew back to Houston.
    Grynch, OroDas, randypower and 6 others like this.
  10. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    That looks like a 1968 T 500 titan
  11. Bar None

Oddometer:
    1967 Suzuki X6 Hustler 250 29 horsepower at 7,500 rpm. Plenty of juice.
    Luggage from a Army surplus store!
  12. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    bet you wish you had that now. I rode cross Canada in 1975 on a 75 titan with bicycle panniers and a camp trail back pack wearing a lee storm rider denim jacket...simpler times!!
    OroDas, noshoes, MAXVERT and 2 others like this.
  13. JuddS

JuddS Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all you old timers for sharing the travel stories from the 70's. Its such a joy to hear from people who share my passions and came before me. I hope I can share my travel stories to help inspire future generations.

As my kids would say, "mad props, yo".
    Mofrid, OroDas, randypower and 2 others like this.
  14. Bubwheat

Bubwheat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You might want to join this FB page, 56k members and a lot of current experience about traveling the roads. Not really related to motorcycle travel but you may find it useful.
    "On the Road in Mexico"
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/ontheroadinmexico
    Mane and noshoes like this.
  15. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mane tone down your expectations .Three or 4 days from Tampico is pushing yourself to ride inhumane distances daily in Mexico and you will be trapped to riding ONLY the Mex 180 . It is not a bad route , but most of the variety it has occurs in the first segment up to Tuxpan which alone deserves two days . North from there it levels out even more and it is pleasant but flattish with spiny brush, yucca and cactus ranchland with some stretches of really good grassy ranches too and then the Rio Grande irrigation districts .
    Up to Tuxpan you need to stop and enjoy the vistas on the coastal bluffs, do some side tours at Los Tuxtlas and Catemaco, visit some ruins like El Tajin .

Don't fear getting shut out for a night, no need to worry or make reservations in Tampico , there are plenty of towns en route where there are nice hotels for you where you just walk in and get a room in late afternoon well before sunset .None of that riding your tail off into night because you have stuck yourself on the idea of getting to Tampico or wherever you reserved a room .

If you want great variety of scenery like mountain roads with curves you need to head farther inland , then go north . Get out a road map and check out the black wiggly lines . Give yourself more days . Veracruz to Corpus Crispy deserves at least five days or more. Do not commit to a strict time schedule and iron butt riding .Do not make promises to be at CC on a particular 3-days hence when you have no idea of what lies between .Avoid the fast sections of toll road - see Mexico.
    The " border experience " will involve waiting and paperwork for you at the US side so show up inn daylight and avoid the frustration of the delay into the night .
    Cal, pceire32 and Rossmoesis like this.
  16. Mane

Mane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you
    Bubwheat, thank you for the heads up. Seem like a good resource, I've already sent the join request!

Regards,
    Mane
    pceire32 likes this.
  17. Mane

Mane Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Sjoerd, thank you for the advice.

I just check it Tuxpan, Ver after your tip and it really seems like a nice place to stop for the day.

I'll try to add more days as per your recomendation, its just that Corpus Christi if just a milestone/stage in a bigger trip... ;-)

Regards,
    Mane
  18. WileyRTW

WileyRTW Wiley

Oddometer:
    OroDas, ScotsFire, noshoes and 2 others like this.
  19. subcomm

subcomm adrenaline junkie

Oddometer:
    Some advice please. I was in Mexico this past weekend. I did not turn in my 7 day FMM when I left the border. I only had the FMM and no vehicle permit as I was close to the border and stayed in the commercial zone. Will I have an issue next time I visit Mexico since I did not turn in the tourist visa?
    Thanks in advance.
  20. Bubwheat

Bubwheat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It shouldn't be a problem. I have crossed a few times and couldn't find anyone that wanted it. That being said, Mexico is cracking down on people who stay in Mexico on multiple 180 day tourist visas. In some cases, not extending them at all and in some cases giving only 7 or 10 day visas. This is hitting some expats that lack the financial means to meet the residency requirements, so they have lived in Mexico on 180 day tourist visas.