Is my XR400 doomed??

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Donjulio85, May 31, 2018.

1. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's still got a horn :-)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Donjulio85 likes this.
  2. Donjulio85

Donjulio85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ahaha yep, working through the check list
  3. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I meant under the seat lh rear subframe [​IMG]

4. Donjulio85

Donjulio85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    you mean here? 20180531_214023.jpg
  5. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente #501 Team f5oolery

Oddometer:
    @lentil is one of the Ozsylum mod's, IT wizard, V-Strom whore and all-round good bloke (if you believe his own advertising :wink:)... he also has an alias of cornjulio in another life (so i thought there was a chance yopu were related - or a fake n00b...? :dunno:lol3)

Okay - here comes the accountant:

1 x XR400R gumtree special 1200.00
    1 x facebook wrecker frame (replacement) 405.00 incl. postage. (are you sure it is in good condition and does not need repair?)

or

welding the existing frame 220.00 (plus material?)
    divers cosmetics - 500.00 (and up if you buy Acerbis)

toss in another 250.00 in for oil, fork oil bolts and cable ties (plus any accidentals that you stumble over in the process - is the rear shock still "original"? i.e. never been touched?)

by my guesstimation you are probably somewhere just south of 2500.00 (as you have not factored in any own time or unforseen stuff - battery for example?)

If you think that is a good price point for a second hand 22 year old XR400R to love and call your own... then rip into it! :clap
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  6. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just sitting in front of me, 22 litre acerbis tank, original seat, ims pegs, staintune. They are cool trailbikes :-)[​IMG]

7. Donjulio85

Donjulio85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. Donjulio85

Donjulio85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice bit of inspiration there mate.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  9. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    is it a "unic"...? :D

Can I review my appraisal...?

looked at the last few photos's (close ups) you posted.

To be honest... she's had a bit of a hard life mate (evidently).... prior to that stint in old mates shed... :eek7

The dodgy weld-on side stand repair and (rattle can) silver paint over the ground/repaired right hand lower rear subframe brace - coupled with the rust you pointed out in post #1.

The rear muffler is more rust that metal... close up of the rear shock coil reveals (what I suspected in previous post) - that the rear shock's never been touched... so fair to guess the fork internals are the same.

+ tires... as you pointed out.

2500.00 might not pull it up (to get her to roadworthy or rideworthy stage)... so only you can judge if that's what to spend your coin on... plus the labour of love to get it there.
    Mouse, Richarde1605 and Donjulio85 like this.
  10. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good observations, I would want three or more for mine in a rational world, but I know the history, and some of the slippery bits. This is why I can never sell bikes, they have emotional involvement...
    BTW Troy, I appreciate your 'objective', as I appreciate others objections.
    XR400's are pretty cool. Apart from shit gearing for the highway, and tall, top heavy feel compared to my mates 701, the xr is quite short, which is good for turning, not so good for loading, I can both sing praises, and quibbles are few for the dirty brief.
    So many bikes, so few arseholes :-)

troy safari carpente likes this.
  11. Donjulio85

Donjulio85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate, appreciate the time taken and advice given. You have definitely helped me frame the project in the right light. Looks like I will contemplate parting out the bike to see if I can get my dollars back and maybe some more to go to the next purchase, more time taken next time. These xr engines seem to be going for quite goid coin on ebay. Plus its got a clarkes tank. With the three months I would take to rebuild, I could probably maybe get my money back via ebay, or do the project and she is worth the cost. But I will sleep on it.
    troy safari carpente likes this.
  12. troy safari carpente

Oddometer:
    My last go at Dr Fill... and then I'll shut me trap.

"Parting out" bikes...

You may get a buyer for the motor (what do you estimate they go for?)
    The Clarke tank and the saddle and placcy's (if you tidy up) can maybe move... what else?
    Shocks and forks (in enduro an mx circles) can be sold on e-bay often... as long as they are "sought after" OEM stuff generally. What you've got is a pair of used - never serviced - 22 year old XR foks and a shock. Put "take 'em off my hands" in the ad I reckon. :dunno

If you can recoup your outlay on your purchase from the sales of those items above - then part her out. But my experience is with "parted out" old dirt bikes is; that you will end up with a garage corner full of bits (probably 50% of the bike as a whole) that you will have to take to the tip. The notion that a bike is worth more as parts - than it is as a whole... only applies if the parts are "worth" something (sought after) by others.

XR400's are pretty sought after (still) as station, musterer knock abouts out in the country. Where rego etc. is not a consideration. Maybe - if you do the 220 buck chassis repair - you can move it on and get at least equivalent (or a bit more) than parting it out? Even if you go back a couple of hundred dollars (on the purchase and repair) overall - do the math and see if that's still not a better calculation, than just selling the motor and plastics (maybe) and then having to take the rest to the tip. Selling all of the stuff could take months...

Unfortunately it seems you may have made a hasty purchase (sorry - but it was your original question :dunno) and seeing as your goal is to get it to registerable/rideable condition... for the money and effort required, maybe you could have found a better candidate to start with?
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  13. Richarde1605

Richarde1605 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually a sidetracked project mate. Have been heading to an all roads tourer with it for some years, but there are a some things that just don't work for me with the platform. I bought a Himalayan that doesn't have extra hp, or suspension, but does have better bottom end, and user friendliness, not so toppy. The xr is pretty tough though...

Poiter likes this.
  14. BLU_FZ1

BLU_FZ1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thats an easy repair ( im a Boily),,,, and would cost very little to repair and beef up a little. The biggest problem with these XRs is the swingarm/ engine bolt, if the bike has not been maintained ie suspension/swingarm being greased they suffer baldly with the bolt being seized inside the engine mount. I had to use a 50t press and heat to get mine out after using Penetrine for 2 weeks
  15. darren70

darren70 I don't own a KTM

Oddometer:
  16. lentil

lentil All round nice guy Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I thought because it was a Honda it might be a 'Eunuch'

We might be cousins :lol3
    Donjulio85 likes this.
  17. Donjulio85

Donjulio85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks mate. The previous owner hand the bolt and the things been greased. I think maybe if I strip her down and take it to someone like yourself it would be, what I 1 or 2 hours work?
  18. Donjulio85

Donjulio85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also, do you know if this can be done with engine in? I suspect not but you never know.
  19. Pezz_gs

Pezz_gs Cant ride for crap

Oddometer:
    I'm a bit late to the game

Go for it!!

You might buy something 'better' but as with dirt bikes they all can have issues...

Like said above easy repair on the frame

Take your time and rebuild each part as you go.

Good mate is very clever at repairing frames on the south side of Brisbane

Ian Lovell - Servalloy
    I can pm you his number if you like
  20. Donjulio85

Donjulio85 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Encouragement!! Yeah it was always going to be a project. Just getting frame anxiety.

Yes please mate. Referrals are very much valued.
    Richarde1605 and Pezz_gs like this.