Is now a bad time to buy a new bike?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by mylastbike, Nov 19, 2020.

1. mylastbike

mylastbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm considering buying a dirt bike, likely new, or used from a dealer. I know that dirt bikes are selling like hotcakes due to COVID. Just wondering if I'll be overpaying if I buy a bike from a dealer right now since they won't likely be willing to deal because there are plenty of folks willing to pay full or over full price for a bike.

Buying private party is not really an option for me (personal choice, don't ask).

I'm thinking I should just wait until this big wave of off-road vehicle consumerism dies down and dealers will start to be hungry to make a sale again. Though it's uncertain how long that may be.
  2. tessalino

tessalino Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there a question in all that? Cause, you sound like you answered your own question.

BTW, just because someone values riding over dollars doesn't make them "schmucks."
  3. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever Nice, until you're not.

Oddometer:
    You simply have to decide whether you’d rather have a bike or not be a “schmuck”. Me, I’d pick the bike. The opportunity to ride now rather than wait has some value, too. And these days, saving a few bucks out of pride seems like a hollow victory. But that’s me...
  4. mylastbike

mylastbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're absolutely right, poor word choice on my part.

Everyone's financial situation is different and the breaking point between overpaying for a bike vs. backing out is different. Right now, I'm seeing an upwards of a $2,000 upcharge in BS fees on sub-$5,000 bikes since the dealers know someone will come along and pay it. That's pretty hard to swallow for me, but it may be a drop in the bucket for other folks.

Just trying to stir up some conversation on the topic is all. :beer
  5. racermx66

racermx66 Suzuki

Oddometer:
    Motorcycles are dangerous. Street or dirt. Save your money.
  6. F150

F150 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got friends who ride? Borrow a bike if possible. Might find offroad is not your thing, especially if you have to load up and drive hour(s) to reach your riding grounds.

If you own 4,000 acres that needs exploring, PM me:-)
  7. TNC

TNC Candyass Camper

Oddometer:
    OP, while your take on the covid effect on bike sales is somewhat generally correct, there are still dealers with a few good candidates at decent prices if you look hard enough. In June I drove a couple hundred miles from home to snag an outstanding buy on a pavement bike on a new non-current year model. I don't know why this shop had three brand new, different top tier bikes still sitting on their floor during the buying frenzy, but that's the way things go at some dealerships.

Also your assumption that all dealers are jacking up their prices isn't always the case. The shop I've worked at part time continues to sell Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha motorcycles at suggested retail, and even one or two of them with an occasional discount. In other words they didn't change their pricing method. But I'm in Texas and probably not within your preferred driving range.
    BetterLateThanNever likes this.
  8. BikeMikeAZ

BikeMikeAZ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd say there are only two important questions that only the OP can answer:
    Can you afford it?
    How badly do you want a bike?
    ...If you can afford it, overpaying a bit becomes secondary...
  9. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Q: do you want a bike?

A: if yes, buy one.
  10. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    There are still dealers charging MSPR without mark-up. Just have to look for them.
  11. mylastbike

mylastbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you mean MSRP is the OTD price?
  12. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would guess that best chance of a deal from a dealer would be 2nd half of December or maybe early February depending on the local riding season.

Dirt bikes are hot right now but the market will reach saturation at some point.
  13. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    It sucks when things you're into are hot and overpriced. My hobbies are guns, reloading, motorcycles, and RVs... All of which are hot right now and overpriced/impossible to come by. The good news is that when things are in great demand, eventually the market becomes oversaturated and prices go down. The question of when is what we don't know. I suspect this time next year the world will be a very, very different place. Hopefully the vaccines will be out and numbers plummeting. Plane tickets will be high and things such as RVs and dirt bikes will be at rock bottom prices. But who really knows.

If it fits into your budget at the higher prices, get it. If you have to stretch your budget to buy the bike, you should keep saving until it makes financial sense to buy it.
  14. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    I paid MSPR + shipping + tax. No set-up or ADM.
  15. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    Right now where I live it's getting cold. Perfect time to guy a bike, since no one else will be buying. Or course, you'll need a truck or trailer to get your new acquisition home, unless you're part polar bear. And your new bike will be sitting in your garage for awhile.
  16. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    If you can't pay cash for said bike then it is a bad time to buy it.
    steingar and tire joe like this.
  17. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You say that you'll buy either new or used from a dealer but not from a private owner. A private owner once owned that bike that the dealer is now marking up. If its about a warranty you're not getting much from a dealer on a dirt bike anyway much less a used one. I prefer private sales but you gotta know what you're looking at.
  18. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quit looking only at dealers who offer low pricing in their ads. If you look at the dealers who are closer to MSRP and go in to talk with them you may just find some may be more honest and up front than you think. When I was selling bikes we advertised mostly at MSRP and labeled it as such. If the customer came in, unless the bike was one of those sold the instant they hit the floor, we would deal with the price, usually at least absorbing the real shipping and set up costs, just adding tax, title, temp tag and the maintenance fee for the state/federal required paperwork records. No crazy $2000 jack ups. Good dealers don't do that. They'd rather work down than up... the direction most buyers want.

Plus on the hot sellers we did MSRP, legitimate set up and shipping costs, plus the stuff mentioned above. Our comment when the customer asked after knowing MSRP was usually, "what will it take to have you on it today?" Get things rolling, less BS.
    PeterTrocewicz likes this.
  19. The Dude

The Dude Just Love To Ride

Oddometer:
    I just recently purchased a new 2020 KTM 790r I’ve recently relocated to CO from Texas. The CO dealer charged me MSRP plus Tax, title , license, and almost a grand in admin , set up , and freight. I since went back to buy another a 2021 Husky 350. When they worked up the price all the extra shit was still there. I told them I can drive to Texas still have the house there and pay MSRP plus tax and title only saving me a grand. There response was basically have a nice drive. I was ok paying it the first time as I thought this is the ante. Establish your self with the new shop etc. I even offered to split it with them... no was the answer. So I’m driving down to my house in Texas in Dec and will pick up one of the new 890 KTM... 32 inch seat height on the standard my 790 R just to tall for me. For the record I’m an old man 65 and touching the ground has gotten important..lol. Bottom line I will now not purchase a thing from the CO shop . I’m a cash paying good repeat customer ... and they have lost my business over 500 buck due to their unwillingness to split the grand in bullshit cost.
  20. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    To play the devil's advocate, you now can't buy locally over your unwillingness to pay the $500 bullshit cost. :hide

This being said, I would have done the same thing and walked away.