Is now a bad time to buy a new bike?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by mylastbike, Nov 19, 2020.

1. The Dude

The Dude Just Love To Ride

Oddometer:
    No you are missing the point. They were not willing to even split the bullshit 1000.00 I offered to pay 500 of it they said know. And let’s not kid each other they would take my money or anyone’s for that matter that is willing to pay there charges. I admit I’m old school I’ve owned over 150 bikes in my time 47 at once ! I’m now down to 7 and will stay around that number. This frankly wasn’t about money as much as principal. Although new to the area they know who I am .... no I’m not special I just happen to buy bikes fairly frequently. I would think good repeat business wouldn’t be charged freight and admin... guess I’m wrong. I will continue to by from my long term dealer in Texas even if it is a pain in the ass. This requires me to drive down .. no problems there visit friends but then I do have to go through the license part in CO. It’s all good though they have treated me well for along time I shall repeat the favor and keep my business there.
  2. dirt hokie

dirt hokie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its a toy, not an investment. You can either afford one now or you cant. Sure it may be cheaper tomorrow, but you could also be in a wheel chair tomorrow. It could just as easily be more expensive next week.
    It not like saving a few hundred bucks will magically make buying a bike a smart choice.....only a slightly less dumb one.

Buy that bitch and ride.
    1greenmachine and tire joe like this.
  3. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    People often argue over if it's a buyer's market or not. It's always a buyer's market. They want your cash, they have a bike you want but you have to ignore local inventory. Go to CycleTrader, do 500 mile radius, pick the bike you want, show only new models then sort by lowest price and buy from that dealer. You can buy the entire thing over the internet and then go pick it up or have them ship it to you for $450. If you're talking about the local dirt bike store, then sure they can list any price they want. You are the one that decides to pay markup. There are exceptions like rare limited bikes but a KTM500..there are thousands of those in the US right now just sitting around.
  4. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was just kidding. It came out better in my head than on the computer. :beer
    The Dude likes this.
  5. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    Sure. Fine. But, right now the market is more in the favor of the sellers over the buyers. Semantics is all it is really. You could do the exact same thing you're suggesting (great idea BTW) one year ago and compare them to the prices you'd find today, and you'd find that you are going to pay more today than a year ago, hence the term a seller's market.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  6. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b

Oddometer:
    but we're talking dirt bikes, we're talking a few hundred bucks at most.
    GravelRider likes this.
  7. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    True. But many people aren't as fortunate to be in a financial position to think of a few hundred bucks as minimal. That may be the make or break for the purchase to make sense.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  8. mylastbike

mylastbike Long timer

Oddometer:
    And to add to that, you have folks that always finance a bike and folks that always pay in cash.

The difference of a few hundred bucks when financing a bike doesn't sting as bad as having to pony-up those same few hundred bucks and laying them all out at once when paying in cash. I don't ever finance bikes, but if I did I'd be ok with overpaying on the total bike cost since it's just a few extra dollas a month. But, as a cash buyer, when you walk in to a dealer expecting X price and then they quote you Y price that's significantly higher than you were expecting, it may be a few more months before you have the dough to plop down.

Focusing back on the original topic, it seems that it is a relative seller's market due to high demand on dirt bikes at the moment. I'll probably wait until the market reaches saturation and dealers can at least catch their breath on inventory. My local dealers are quite empty still and the holiday season probably won't help either.
    PeterTrocewicz and GravelRider like this.
  9. JETalmage

JETalmage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, now is a bad time.

Wait 'till Monday to find out if there's actually anything exciting about the new Kawasaki's they've been teasing.

JET
    mylastbike likes this.
  10. liberpolly

liberpolly Lazy rider

Oddometer:
    They're not selling at all now in the colder parts of the country right now. Find a deal, drive there, rent a trailer one way, if it saves you enough money. Wear a mask.
    PeterTrocewicz likes this.