1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Is older Africa CRF1000 built better than CRF1100? Let's bust the myth together or find the truth.

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by hammerun, Jul 24, 2020.

1. hammerun

hammerun Secret Eleventh Commandment - never fear.

Oddometer:
    Do you know images of which "cheap shitty welded from 5 parts" swing-arm I attached? 2020 Ricky Brabec Honda :-D So you are absolutely right. upload_2020-7-26_23-54-2.png [​IMG]
    Motogasoline and lithodave like this.
  2. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Ok. Fair point. But which manufacturer isn't making their bikes as cheaply as possible to maximise profit?

Your bike was an anomaly. Real bad run of luck you had with it.
    All three that i've had have been problem free. The first one stalled 3- 5 times i think, the second one once, but that's it. Over 80k miles of otherwise problem free riding.
    swimmer likes this.
  3. roktbox

roktbox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wait ....... now the brakes on the AT suck, too? The whole system? Under what conditions? The components? Which one(s)? How?
  4. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    20200729_184033.jpg I do notice the new bikes have less pretty welds than my 16 but have seen worse on older jap bikes.Will just keep hammering on mine for years to come.Except for some fork issues has been a good all around bike.Wifey and me had a great day on it yesterday visiting lake superior. Wife loves the bike as it fits us so well.
    N0madic likes this.
  5. Fiftyfatponies

Fiftyfatponies Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a -99 transalp, the welds on that bike look like a 5 year old went to visit dad at work, but dad was drunk on the job and the 5 year old had to do the welds. Tragic yes, but it's still holding up. Not bad for a first try kiddo.
    pepebayeta and Junglejeff1 like this.
  6. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a '98 VTR1000F Superhawk ( Gosh I loved that bike). The welds on the frame looked excellent, classic "stack o dimes" wherever there was a weld. The welds on the swing arm were another story altogether. If a junior high school kid in shop class had made those welds he would have failed the class, but as Fiftyfatponies said it held up fine.
  7. AT Rick

AT Rick wanderlust is a thing

Oddometer:
    My 2017 dct has 22k on the clock and has run like a top since day 1. Fantastic reliability\dependability.
  8. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    You guys are lucky, mine was a POS and Honda Japan told me to fuck off when I said I wanted the motor replaced to fix the intermittent stalling after putting up with it and lots of dealer attempts to solve the issue. HJ even told me stalling was a characteristic of a big twin. No lemon law here.

JimsVFR800.JPG

My '99 VFR800 was flawless for the 3 years that I owned it. Build quality was far better than my AT, from the stainless steel fasteners to the tight tolerances of the plastics and the fit and finish in general. No nickle and diming on the center stand either. This is the bike with 45000 km on it. Still looked new.
    pepebayeta and merc16 like this.
  9. Ian-NH

Ian-NH Adventurer

Oddometer:
    With all the problems that plagued the first few years of these bikes I'm shocked to hear you guys say that generation was actually the good one. There's a 280+ page "Africa Twin Problem Thread" for a reason.

I've been considering another ADV bike now that I'm officially bored with my Harley, but it won't be another AT.
  10. hammerun

hammerun Secret Eleventh Commandment - never fear.

Oddometer:
    That's funny
    I'd plenty problems with my wife during 17 years of marriage, but she is simply the best, better than all the rest.
    Isn't same possible with Africa Twin :-) Ah?
  11. radbrad511

radbrad511 Incurable

Oddometer:
    Not sure ANY truth was found here. Like my 2017 a lot.
  12. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some of the materials, products and techniques used in the process for stainles steel, chrome parts, paintings, etc, have changed since the time you bought your VFR because of enviroment protection laws. However, even if the final product doesn't look exactly the same, it's still really good quality and does the job more than anybody will ever need.

I had a 92' VFR750F which I sold in 1995 with 60000km. Somebody smashed it in 2005 with almost 400,000km. I still love that bike.
    Aluminum frame, single sided swingarm, 90º V engine, gear driven camshafts. By that time, you could say "It's a honda" with a smile in your face.
    We will never see bikes like that again.
    twinrider likes this.
  13. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    My VFR800 was awesome. Nothing beats the sound of that V4 through a full Erion Racing exhaust. If I didn't have such bad knees I would have kept it.
  14. pepebayeta

pepebayeta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For me, it was not only the sound of those machines. It was about the philosophy of the way they were built. They used all the technology available to make the engine perform better, to save time and money on maintenance (gear driven camshafts), etc. And mostly, to make the customer enjoy every second spent on the bike.
    The feeling of my VFR was amazing. I always liked honda because everytime I hopped on one, everything felt as if I had been riding that bike my whole life. Pedals, levers, buttons, everything was where it should be. Throttle, brakes and suspension, everything permormed exactly the way you'd expect it to.
    The honda engines have never been the most energetic thing out there, the suspensions have mostly been soft on all of them and the brakes have always been more effective than powerful. But everything worked, and it worked great!
    I'm seriusly socked that modern bikes, specifically the one we're talking about here, feel like half developed prototypes.
    twinrider likes this.