Is that a car tire on your bike?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by scorch, Oct 1, 2019.

1. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    3 years ago i rode this same dl650 across the u.s. I rode to a place called valley of the gods, where i dropped it hard. This year i decided to revisit the place where i crashed and came close to getting seriously hurt.

The valley of the gods is amazing in Utah, as a city slicker it was quite an experience 3 years ago.

Warning: This thread might trigger you. If you are the sensitive type, find a happy place.

[​IMG]

This time instead of changing my tires 3 times during that ride i installed this
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Caution - this thread might trigger you if you are the sensitive type
    [​IMG]
  2. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    Getting the bike ready for the trip. And I should say im very disorganized which never works out well for a ride.

Here i prepare all my tools i am taking. Mostly things i will need in case of a breakdown. Tire plug kits, essential sockets, yada yada. Camping gear as i plan on camping everyday unless i use tent space hosts.
    Davidprej, wilfred and NxtGoRnd like this.
  3. DualDawg

DualDawg Been Lurking

Oddometer:
    Incredible first picture. Scary second picture. You’ve already had one serious crash, why would you knowingly increase your odds of another crash by running a car tire on a motorcycle? You said you’re running on the “dark side”, so I’m assuming you already know all the reasons not to run a car tire on a bike. Higher risk of another crash isn’t worth a few hundred dollars and a little bit of time saved. Either way, have a great trip. Safe travels
  4. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    So far I have no issues running a car tire on a bike. THey have all been positive. The crash 3 years ago was on a motorcycle tire, and i can't say that it was the tires fault either.
    5_19, FTL900, NxtGoRnd and 1 other person like this.
  5. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    Off to a bad start in Virginia. I made a left turn and all of the sudden i hear a cop behind me. He sees the gopro running and did a double take. Says i ran a red light. After the incident, i went back to see the light and it turns out there isnt a red light, just yield. I think the cop just wanted to pull me over. Glad i had the gopro running because when he say it he changed his tune

Attached Files:

EZMoney, wilfred, NxtGoRnd and 2 others like this.
  6. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    This is the highest valley around the back of the dragon in virginia. Burkes garden. Pretty neat. You climb up and then it's this very fertile land among the forest.
    [​IMG]

Not my photo, but i looked it up afterwards
    [​IMG]
  7. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    ***Day 1. Leaving DC to Marion VA***
    Thanks to Karl for letting me camp at his farm. This let me stay there a day and ride route 16 which is called back of the dragon. THey are trying to get more riders to frequent that area, and it's great because it's less popuated than the tail of the dragon.
    Riding from DC to Virginia is about 400-500 miles. I tried to stay on the highway, but it was pretty dull and i got off several times just to keep sane. Of course i did get pulled over right in Bridgewater va and the cop made it up about me making a left on a red, which was bs, i went back and looked at the sign afterwards, but the guy just wanted to make it up to pull me over, and realized i had a gopro running and let me go. What a nice guy.
    EZMoney, NxtGoRnd and CROSSBOLT like this.
  8. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    ***Day 2. Lets ride the back of the dragon ***
    sthe back of the dragon goes from marion va to tazewell. Pretty nifty road this route 16. I dont remember it being so commercial, but im glad they are bringing in money to this town

wilfred, NxtGoRnd and CROSSBOLT like this.
  9. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    I managed to ride the back of the dragon a few times
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    EZMoney and wilfred like this.
  10. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    Time to hit 421! the snakey
    [​IMG]
    EZMoney and wilfred like this.
  11. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    The best way to break a blinker
    [​IMG]
    wilfred likes this.
  12. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    While in Marion va and riding the back of the dragon i filled up at a gas station in Marion and saw a sign for a missing hiker. This left a lasting impression me. The guy is missing, but his dog and car were found. His dog was found inside the car unhurt. I believe he went missing this year for memorial day. I kept thinking about this over and over, i think motorcyclists are easy pray for this sort of thing. Vulnerable, out in a tent easy to rob and kill. I try to avoid having these thoughts on trips, but this little flyer brought up lots of images. And i kept thinking i'd feel safer with a gun. Do people ride with guns around here? Seems alot of motorcyclists do like guns, but hikers feel as if they would never have a gun and it hink it makes them a bit easier to rob if you are a criminal.

this is a local article
    https://www.wsls.com/news/virginia/...n-remains-ongoing-for-missing-buena-vista-man

The search has been halted, and he has not been found. Chad Austin is his name, and i hope they find him. But i fear the worst in these situations.
  13. Pongo

Pongo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Think of the money you could save if you put a car tire on the front wheel too.
    Road Barnacle, wilfred and CROSSBOLT like this.
  14. Joe Motocross

Joe Motocross Adjustafork.com - CEO

Oddometer:
    I've run automotive tires on motorcycles. It worked for me also. Feels a little different. Incredible mileage. Good on you for trying something that's outside the box.
  15. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Could be foul play, could be a suicide, could be he's alive and well and doesn't want to be found.
  16. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    Lets hope. But from what i read, he was really attached to that dog. And being left inside a car doesn't make sense. I don't think it's suicide, i think if you are going to off yourself then you probably would leave that dog at your house or parents etc... I think it defiantly feels like foul play to me. When you consider it's so easy to kill someone and get away with it, there are so many murders out there without anyone getting caught. I think it was probably robbery turned murder, and whoever did it took him somewhere else and got rid of the body.

There was a motojournalist a while ago who everone thought got killed, but turns out he went for a swim and drowned. So who knows what really happened, but if it was suicide, or drowning i think his body would have surfaced by now.
  17. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    I didn't think it would work before i tried it. I thought all these guys were going in a straight line and never could turn. I saw a fellow rider on a vstrom 650 with a car tire, and after spending so much time and money in shops changing tires I wanted to try it and see what it was all about. I bought a cheap tire thinking it would be crap and then i could with some knowledge say that car tires on bikes were terrible, but i found the opposite to be true.
    EZMoney and rufus like this.
  18. unfocused_adventure

unfocused_adventure Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a CCW and yes, I carry when I ride.
  19. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is this a ride report or a car tire on a bike discussion thread? If so, there's a long-running thread about it in the Riding forum, our next step will be to mop up this thread and keep it focused on the ride.

Mopped up the car tire posts.. and let's keep the concealed carry out of this thread too; both topics only attract a dogpile..
  20. jfauerba

jfauerba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, I not the only bike that runs a car tire on back a dual sport tire (Shinko 705) on front and not in Alaska. Major difference is that I am doing it on a FJR and ran it from Western NC to Utah and back.
    scorch likes this.