Is that a car tire on your bike?

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by scorch, Oct 1, 2019.

1. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    Im always wonderin what to eat on the road. I want to be healthy, and people eat alot fried stuff on the roads, and eventually look like a road. And i've ridden with riders who stop alot in restaurants, but i can't afford that. Don't have money, so what i do is usually buy food in grocery stores and eat along the way. Bananas, tuna... stuff that wont go bad fast. For me food is just fuel, i just need to eat to keep going. But i know alot of people treat it as an addiction.
    Davidprej likes this.
  2. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, give notice when you get just north of Memphis and I will ride out to meet you!
    scorch likes this.
  3. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    Lets ride Karl!

In new mexico i found alot of odd things like history of hermits that got killed, random people that got killed. Then you see Billy the kid grave up ahead. And you knew exactly why, new mexico back in the day was gangsta, super dangerous. Like probably . more dangerous than Baltimore.
    CROSSBOLT and Richarde1605 like this.
  4. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    I finally reached the valley of the gods! This place is eerie. But i came in and there were plenty of campers, even met a fellow advrider who camped near me. He came around in a VW from 1950ish whatever it was. Drove from NY. And i thought i had a long ride. He said his name was the jerk! That was pretty funny. I guess advriders are everywhere.

3 years ago i crashed here, no one was around. It was one of those times i thought i stumbled upon a place all for myself. I went to sleep, woke up at 3am and got out of the tent to pee. Looked up at the sky, and saw something i never seen before. The milky way, it was insane. I stood there just looking up for minutes, almost loosing my balance as i looked up. I couldn't sleep, so i just laid down on the ground and i looked up.
    Clampett and CROSSBOLT like this.
  5. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    Davidprej likes this.
  6. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    For me this started it all
    [​IMG]
  7. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  8. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
  9. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    Taking some photos at night. The vstrom doesnt draw alot of viewers, but its an amazing realiable bike
    [​IMG]

The valley at sunset
    [​IMG]

Top of the world in glen canyon looking down

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just one more night shot
    [​IMG]
    Clampett, Rollin', Davidprej and 3 others like this.
  10. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    North of Valley of the gods is this other section that looks down at the valley. Its BLM Monticello
    Davidprej likes this.
  11. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
  12. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm darkside curious and wondering how you've arrived at your opinion. Have you tried darkside and found it dangerous? Do you know someone who had a bad experience with it? I've been following this issue for about 3 years and have yet to hear of one negative experience from a darksider. Seems that all who warn against it are just repeating what they've read or heard. So, I'd love to know what informs your opinion. Thanks.
    Richarde1605 likes this.
  13. Davidprej

Oddometer:
    Just curious as to why you don't have a bash plate on your bike. I have one on my Vstrom and I rarely go offroad. The oil filter is totally exposed, as I'm sure you know.
  14. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    What size is your rear tyre ??
  15. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    I have been darksiding for the lat 2 years i think. Probably 3. It works really well, never heard of an issue either. But you hear of alot of riders saying it's dangerous, but no one ever can point to any evidence. So far i have 30kihs miles on my bike on the darkside. And no issues at all. Ridden twisty roads all over the place and ride it as well as i did on a regular tire.

You hear alot about darksiding being dangerous from people who want you to comply. People want you to agree with them, or act like them. When they see a car tire it doesn't comply, and it brings out some strange reactions. It works for me, but i don't care if anyone does it.

The rear tire is a 205 bf goodrich sport comp 2

and I dont have a bash plate because i dont ride offroad much, so where i live and commute and ride there aren't any gravel roads. I might make my own, but right now i dont have crash bars or bash plates.
    CROSSBOLT and Davidprej like this.
  16. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    Its a 205, its a really good soft compount tire. im at 15k miles on this rear tire.
    Davidprej and CROSSBOLT like this.
  17. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, I never ran a car tire. Some years back a good friend of mine had a Honda Valkyrie and mounted a car tire. I eventually bought a Valkyrie and did not put one on. I had been on a ride in the local mountains on a group Valkyrie ride and one of the guys had just put a car tire on and was having all kinds of trouble adapting. Some months later my friend with the car tire and I started a ride. We got on the freeway and he hit a lane bump and I would guess his rear end jumped almost a foot. He said that was "interesting". This was a freeway we got on in his neighborhood. We were on a week long ride through Utah and north, with lots of mountain riding. He had "concerns" keeping up in the mountains. After 3 years with the car tire he was done. I have ridden with others that like them, but from my experiences, I would never mount one. Not looking to argue, just adding a data point.
  18. Davidprej

Oddometer:
    Not to make this a car tire thread, but it is in the title. I have a Vstrom and am 'car tire curious' for it, due to the mileage, not for costs purposes, but for convenience on long trips. I put a car tire on my Goldwing a few months ago and have taken three long trips of 1500 - 2000 miles each. I'm never going back to a motorcycle tire. So, one more data point. This is a personal decision, so to each their own.
    scorch and Ol Man like this.
  19. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    Is the vstrom with darkside good offroad?
    Davidprej likes this.
  20. scorch

scorch Poser

Oddometer:
    Monument valley, its a tourist trap
    Davidprej likes this.