Is the Montana being discontinued?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by bross, Apr 20, 2019.

1. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been thinking of replacing my Delorme PN-60 so have been watching for Montana's to come on sale. gpscity have one Montana available, the 680T, all others are out of stock. So now I'm thinking I should wait and see what they replace it with. Anyone heard anything?
  2. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    montanas are good units when they work,, LOTS of folks had problems with them, ive had three and all three failed.

i'd wait.
  3. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    let's hope so! it's time for Garmin to release a gps that has modern stuff like real bluetooth/wifi , track editing, swipe text input, a speaker (lol really Garmin?) , and similar stuff we're used to from the last decade!
  4. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    i thought the monterra would have been that beast
    EmmEff, ohgood and levain like this.
  5. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    I would almost swear they did. Montera anyone? I would like to see a proper effort from them though.
    ohgood likes this.
  6. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Honestly, it's time for them to figure out that they need to complete with smart phones.

They'd probably sell more units if the price was lower. There's just nothing in those things worth the $600 price tag.
    EmmEff, clawdog60 and ohgood like this.
  7. deserteagle56

deserteagle56 deserteagle56

Oddometer:
    I'm one of the lucky ones. I got one of the original Montana 600 units when they first came out and years later it is still working just fine - even after surviving some horrendous crashes (survived them in better condition than my old body!). This thing is simple to use and does everything I want a GPS to do. If in fact Garmin will be discontinuing the Montana series then I'm going to have to find an extra just to make sure I have a spare for the future.
    Blissed likes this.
  8. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    thats awesome!, i really like the layout and size of the Montana, thats why i kept trying.
    i didnt use half of the features,, all i really want is a digital topo map that shows where i am.
  9. baiku

baiku Manaical Engineer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought so as well, until my original Monterra and TWO replacements failed. I've been a lot happier with my Montana 680 since July 2017.
  10. clawdog60

clawdog60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Like I’ve said; Vermin is a better name for them.
    EmmEff likes this.
  11. deserteagle56

Oddometer:
    A bit off-topic, but why do you want to replace the PN-60?

I ride with both units because the Delorme maps and the maps on the Montana contain different information, both of which I find handy to have. For whatever reason, Garmin has chosen to restrict the information visible on the screen of the Montana. I know this is true because occasionally when in my Jeep or van I have the Garmin topo maps running on a 7" Garmin automotive GPS and it names all the surrounding terrain features.
    P1110550r.jpg

The Montana does not show any of these names despite using the same gpsfiledepot maps. Yet the Delorme GPS, despite its tiny screen, does give names to surrounding terrain and physical features, including names the various windmills, abandoned mines, etc. and I find that very handy when I am riding an area completely unfamiliar to me. So I have both the PN-60 and the Montana mounted on the handlebars.
    P1030955r.jpg

And by the way, one of the reasons I was disappointed by using a smartphone as a GPS is that the maps I loaded also did not name terrain and physical features to the extent the PN-60 did.
    ohgood likes this.
  12. ohgood

Oddometer:
    i'm still wondering why they let that one die. it seemed like a decent first revision/public beta. always figured the 2.0 was right around the corner, but then -nothing-. this one really puzzled me.
  13. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I'm convinced, from a marketing standpoint, that Garmin doesn't want any one GPS product to hit a home run, including their failure with smartphone apps. This way, they can scattershot their market segment with consumers that are always not quite satisfied, with the end-goal of getting them to try different models until they are satisfied, if ever. Otherwise, they would have put more effort into a smartphone app, which of course would have put a serious hurt on their standalone unit sales. There's absolutely no reason they couldn't have duplicated their GPS programs into an app format.
    clawdog60 and ohgood like this.
  14. ohgood

Oddometer:
    hashad thought of that, but it makes sense. dissatisfaction never seemed like a great marketing tool before now.
  15. clawdog60

clawdog60 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bottom line and keeping staff that doesn’t work on military stuff in a job. This changing models every couple of years is ridiculous when they could just next version of something that works.
  16. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    I've also had great luck with my Montana 600.

But it's definitely time for Garmin to replace the current 610 and 680. The GPSMap 276CX and Oregon 700 feature some newer tech and features that really should have made their way into the Montana line by now. Here's hoping a Montana 700 is on the way that finally brings it up to feature parity.

--mark
    Blissed likes this.
  17. bross

bross Where we riding to? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the late reply, have been traveling. My PN-60 has a weird date and I can't set it. But mainly the small screen. The maps have also been a bit disappointing a few times, was in Palm Springs area doing the Box Canyon hike and found it was of limited use. I don't need anything too fancy, it's basically a backup for when we can't remember what fork in the trail to take to get back to the truck.
  18. deserteagle56

Oddometer:
    The "weird date" affects my PN-60 also - but it is something that affects all GPS units depending on when they were made. See the thread "GPS Week Rollover Event April 6" in these forums. There was an update for the PN-60 to correct that but I didn't bother - date information is something I never use. You may still be able to find that if you search the internet.

Maps...I have yet to find any maps that are up to date with the latest information on all the areas I'm interested in. Even Google Earth data is dated by the time we get to see it. Another reason to use more than one mapset. But if all you are interested in is having a track to follow to return to your truck - just use your smartphone.
  19. ohgood

Oddometer:

what features are those?
  20. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Chiefly, Wifi/Bluetooth connectivity and the ability to use your smartphone's data connection to download Active Weather radar updates and display them as a map overlay. Also the ability to handle longer tracks, more routes, more waypoints, etc.

--mark
    EmmEff and ohgood like this.