Is there such a thing as standalone shoulder armor?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by PWMO, Feb 14, 2020.

1. PWMO

PWMO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Recently picked up a GPX 5.5 chest/back/flank protector on closeout from Leatt for $55 and scored some of their elbow guards as well. However now I'm stuck with no shoulder armor and I haven't been able to find any standalone armor. The closest thing I've seen are the Forcefield pieces but they seem to still be required to attach to the chest armor piece. Perhaps I'll just have to manually sew a set of shoulder pads on. Just created this thread as I have seen no topics regarding standalone shoulder protection solutions. Yes I could wear a jacket with pouches and stuff some D30 pads in but off road that honestly isn't a viable option due to heat.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg
  2. imnothng

imnothng Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does shoulder armour actually do anything? I have a few buddies that wear it, but I've never bothered. Whenever I hit a tree with my shoulder, it's usually from the front caused by "clipping" the tree getting too close.
  3. mminob

mminob MotoHolic

Oddometer:
    The old Fox airframe chest protector has saved my shoulders a few times and can't ride without it now... The shoulder pads will take a hard hit :-)

Fox-Racing-AIRFRAME-Roost-Deflector-Guard-Chest-Protector.jpg
  4. motoinmoab

motoinmoab Questioning Reality Supporter

Oddometer:
    You could look into other sports armor, like hockey maybe?
  5. PeterW

PeterW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some of the elbow and knee pads will work. I have a box of armor pulled out when various jackets have been scrapped and I've found stuff in there and reused it.
    But stand alone shoulder armor is available fc-moto.de for example. And yes it is of some help, mainly against small rocks if you come off the bike and slide for a while.
    PWMO likes this.
  6. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The current Leatt 5.5 body protector comes with shoulder armor. Are sure that one doesn't have attachment points for it?
    PWMO likes this.