Is this a Scam? cyclevinusa.com

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by Joseph Rogers, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Joseph Rogers

Joseph Rogers Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm currently selling a motorbike on craigslist. After a few emails back and forth, a potential buyer named Richard Soechting asks me to get a Report from this company called cycleVINusa.com for a vin report. He said he would pay for the VIN report if he buys the bike. I was going to buy the vin report but i didn't find much info on the net about cycleVINusa.com. When I googled the potential buyer I found this:
    Capture.PNG
    The website outscam.com is no longer active. Has anyone selling on craigslist had an experience like this? Something is fishy but I'm not sure what the scam is.

Attached Files:

2. TengaiJohn

TengaiJohn Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. bcliff

bcliff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't click on the link contained in his email. Very easy way to pass a virus.
  4. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really? If you think it may be a scam, it probably is! If the potential buyer is out of the ordinary, it's a scam. How desperate to sell must people be to fall for these scams? Delete the email and move on.
    Here's an idea, give him the VIN, tell him to get the report, if it doesn't pass, you'll pay the cost. Problem solved, bike sold, unless of course it's a scam.:D
  5. haystack

haystack Just ride

Oddometer:
  6. CycleVIN

CycleVIN n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello Adventure Rider Members,

We wanted to bring to your attention the fact that one of our customers contacted us this morning saying that they had placed an order with us when they had in fact not. They had placed an order with CycleVINUSA, which if you look closely is a non-secure site with fake security certificates. There is a scam going on with CycleVINUSA.com where they are pretending to sell history reports and are just stealing people's credit card information instead.

CycleVIN.com is in no way affiliated with CycleVINUSA, and we wanted to make sure that everyone knows about this scam so that they can be aware of it. We advised the customer to file a chargeback and get their money back and cancel that card as it will probably end up being used by someone else eventually if not. We even go so far as to offer Amazon Pay on our site as a payment method that allows you to pay without having to give out your credit card/bank account information to us.

If you look closely at CycleVINUSA, you will notice a lot of red flags that are readily visible. Their sample report is for a "wagon" from Europe and they have stock pictures of a car not motorcycles. Please be very careful and check out a website thoroughly before entering your financial information into it. Always look for the "https" instead of the "http" when checking out like the link in the above post says, to make sure that your personal information is being securely handled like it is on CycleVIN.com.

Thanks,

Management
    CycleVIN LLC
  7. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    I got the same thing with "usvinshape . com", it's a scam

Well I'd really appreciate it if you can get report and that you get it from ~redacted . com~ because I would like to repay you for it if we make a deal, and they're cheaper than carfax, and you know how it is, every dollar you save counts. I don't want to get it myself because if it's bad then i just wasted my money, but you can still use it however it turns out. I would like to see bike if you are available tomorrow (and if everything is fine with bike report).
  8. hamiamham

hamiamham Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why redact the scammer's email address? Protecting the guilty there methinks...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
  9. Plawa

Plawa ¿ʞO ǝʞᴉq ʎɯ sI

Oddometer:
    I've redacted the URL so that it wouldn't be converted to a link.. name is made up anyway ("Francisco Cotton").