Is this guy a asshat tool, or are we?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by indycar, May 21, 2021.

1. indycar

indycar Calmer than you are

Oddometer:
    So there we were, :ricky Minding Our Own Business :ricky last April in NC, and we come up on this GS rider. He nails the throttle out of the curves and then slows way down on the next curve. I prepare to pass along with Special K, but Mr. GS is twisting his wrist hard and I don't follow Special K when he passes. We're all on coms, and comment that although we never saw the GS rider check his mirrors, now that he's been passed, surly he'll check them now and note the group of riders piled up behind him and on the next straight he'll not race to the next corner to allow us to get by.

Oh no! He makes it hard for everyone in our group to get by:bash. The music in the video changes to reflect the changing moods and (my) attitude.

It seems like these types of riders are proliferating.

Who is the :asshat here? What do you do in this circumstance - both when a faster group comes up behind you and when you get caught behind a difficult rider like this? It took the guys behind me quite some time before they could get around this turkey.

oic, Willmrx, JustinP and 4 others like this.
  2. LOUFY034

LOUFY034 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A hot inside pass with a side of stuffing would likely get his attention.
    The boxes complicate this somewhat though.

What do slower riders get out of not letting faster riders/groups through?
    MrVvrroomm, AHRMA17L, Andrew and 7 others like this.
  3. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m not going to answer your question directly, but I will say working that hard in that riding environment to pass someone who doesn’t want to be passed is not what I’d do. Easy enough to pull over and chill for a bit and let him do his thing.

I’d much rather have an inattentive, irate, incompetent, aggressive, whatever rider ahead of me where I’m in control rather than behind me where I can’t easily see what he/she is up to.
    308Hunter, pkat, mike and 54 others like this.
  4. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He looks like a novice afraid of cornering. The road looks enjoyable except for some of the speeds I saw in the HUD. I'm with szurszews on this.
    Dale402, Milosh, goldentaco and 5 others like this.
  5. indycar

Oddometer:
    Conversely, once by, he's never to be seen again and you're pretty well assured there's no one in front of him for many miles. Once by, we (er... the two of us) were well on our way again, and catching my buddy - who was quite a bit up the road by the time I got around - was good fun. I felt bad the others stuck behind him, we had the good fortune of unencumbered great roads and riding unfolding ahead of us .

I've pulled over before, only to run on on these types again.
    oic, Brtp4, RedEX and 3 others like this.
  6. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    We refer to these cats as "straight-line superheroes" and they're awful to be stuck behind, especially if you're on a slower bike.
  7. Dualsport4ever

Dualsport4ever Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    GS rider is the :asshat here. Golf etiquette should apply here, as far as I'm concerned - Let faster groups play through. I was on a ride years ago where we were joined by a fellow rider (coworker of someone in our group) who did exactly the same as GS rider above. Hammered the throttle on straight stretches only to brake hard and basically creep around corners. Problem here was we couldn't just pass him and leave him, as he was part of our group (some of us did pass him on a few corners, just for fun).

Edit: Video was entertaining - music selections were great.:lol3
    twinrider, oic, Mrstig and 4 others like this.
  8. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get what you're saying, and I don't know that road other than your video clip, but it doesn't look like the type of place where you've got miles and miles of uninterrupted highway ahead, so it would be easy enough for you to encounter someone/thing else that slows you down enough for that guy to catch back up. As mentioned in the post above, this rider doesn't seem up on etiquette (golf or otherwise), and I try to spend as little time around those folks as possible/give them as little reason as I can - reasonably - to not want to be around me. I figure anyone who seems to actively work to keep you from passing is the exact kind of person who'd want to "have a chat" if he caught up with you at a traffic light or when you were stuck behind a tractor. No thanks.

Anyway - you asked ;)
  9. indycar

Oddometer:
    I appreciate your comments and perspective my friend! I get what you're saying, and that's why I asked. We got behind a longggg train of riders last Fall, on very narrow roads. We were stuck behind them for 35 minutes - it was too dangerous to pass. They were not novices. Our experience has been most riders recognize the etiquette, but these recent experiences led to my pondering.

Checking the video, we had 16 minutes of riding before we hit a T Junction, went left and kept on our way!

Hope you can make it back East again and join us for START or FART.
    szurszewski likes this.
  10. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would have been closer on the corners and maybe beeped the horn a bit to let them know I was there and wanted around. See if they would be courteous. For all you know the guy never looked in the mirrors. I have a friend who never does... or seems that way. If he gets away in town he's gone, without a look back. Saw a sheriff's deputy follow him for 2 miles before finally hitting the siren briefly to catch his attention. Pulled over for passing on double yellow.
  11. CharlesLathe

CharlesLathe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is a typical North Carolina driver. If he were in a pickup truck, he'd be straddling the centerline.
  12. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:

This guy was being a deliberate asshole. I hope you raised a one finger salute as you passed. I agree with the other posters and the concept of just staying back is the right one and one I hope I would follow. But I probably, no I likely would have passed him just as you did.....that guy was a selfish clueless moron who just wants to show that he doesn't care.

I work for the park service and I get a little jolt of happiness out of pulling my big green pickup to the side for bikes to pass. Almost always get thank you waves. What people don'yt understand is it costs you literally nothing. You speed right back up and arrive within a few seconds of when you would have if you didn't pull over.
  13. c_m_shooter

c_m_shooter Ninja Warrior Supporter

Oddometer:
    If the speedometer on the screen is correct, I can't imagine having trouble passing him... Slowing down near the stopped trailer early on seemed reasonable, but I would have left him pretty quickly. I deal with the same kind of drivers every day going home from work.
  14. Colorad0

Colorad0 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hate riders/drivers that go slow on the corners and fast in the passing zones. A1 a$$hole material.

But... I wanted to make a friendly comment about your cornering. It's always hard to tell from go pro footage, but to me it looks like you're riding crossed up in the corners. Your weight should be inside the corner, not centered over the bike (which is leaning underneath you). My apologies if I'm incorrect and it's just a go pro optical illusion.
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  15. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is the land of the curvy mountain roads, with turnouts. I usually give drivers / riders ahead of me 2 turnouts to do the right thing. Many do. The ones that don't generally aren't locals... when they don't:

I climb up their ass, high beam on, then pass aggressively and fire a shot across the bow, followed by a "what are you doing???" raised left arm with upturned palm once I'm in front and an exaggerated head shake of disgust. Kind of my default move...

I've been known to slalom between staggered group riders on slower bikes, too, if they refuse to move over after a few turnouts. You realize how oblivious they are as their heads whip left and right to analyze the sudden movement to their side as you pass inches from them... they never even realize you're behind them for a few miles until you pass.
    Willsfree likes this.
  16. Motonirvana

Motonirvana Can't make this shit up

Oddometer:
    GS rider should sell his GS and buy a Honda Trail CT-125. With the $10-$15 grand he has left over from the sale, he should invest so of that cash in track day school.
    Bt10, JustinP and CROSSBOLT like this.
  17. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shrug.
    It’s a public road, not a race track.
    Subject to the vagaries, rules and laws of a public road.
  18. szurszewski

szurszewski Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can we get the original options for the answer expanded?
    docsabre and Clem Fandango like this.
  19. bigdog99

bigdog99 Weaned and neutered

Oddometer:
    Maybe the guy thought he was doing you a favor by getting up the road in the straightaways? Some of these people are clueless to the actual situation.

Like following a motorhome/Prius/SUV through miles of double-yellow at 5 under, then immediately upon a two-lane passing zone suddenly they can go 70? WTF?
  20. Turkeycreek

Turkeycreek Gringo Viejo

Oddometer:
    I rode with a novice who was slow in the corners but hammered it on the straights using this very logic that he was doing good by trying to make up for being slow where he could. I 'splained that riding your own ride means letting others pass you so they can do the same. Never happened again, he would slide over and wave others on after our chat.
    Animo, Utrider1, DeepBarney and 7 others like this.