Is this guy a asshat tool, or are we?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by indycar, May 21, 2021.

1. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    They were out in large numbers over Memorial Day in the PA mountains. RV’s and semi’s that just can’t, the speeder-uppers in the straights, the active blockers, the chasers, even a few ragers. Had me thinking of some folk from this thread. I think their heads might have exploded! :lol2
    c_m_shooter, docsabre and H96669 like this.
  2. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    :jack
  3. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would whine be better?
    docsabre likes this.
  4. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    :photog That's a given around these parts...
    JustinP likes this.
  5. docsabre

docsabre crusty curmudgeon Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes. And without a lot of name calling and insults. Cheers!
    SocalRob likes this.
  6. KeithC

KeithC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anybody NOT speed up when exiting a turn with straight road ahead?
  7. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    Not all the time. If anything I'll hang a high speed on the corner and maintain thru the turn. That takes more talent, but it ultimately depends on how fast I exit the turn and if I'm in the mood to go over 100 mph on a straight road. Typically not tho. Usually I just accelerate up to a bit past the speed limit and make lane arrangements for the next turn.

It's a public road for Christ's sake, not a race track.
  8. Dayypete

Dayypete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hilarious. All these people saying they have never been annoyed when following a 35 old maid MPH'er on the curves, 65 boy racer MPH on the straights. Come on man. When I am riding twisty turnees and someone behind is obviously faster then me, I pull to the right and let them go. Much safer and better for all concerned. Basic road courtesy. So flame on with your nonsense that simply isn't so.
  9. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some don't understand the difference between wanting to pass a slower road user when circumstances allow, and expecting them to help one do it when circumstances don't. We don't get to decide for others.
  10. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The guy is purposely speeding up to keep the others from passing. That's what makes him an asshat. There were plenty of places when circumstances allowed passing if the asshat would just not speed way up. Just keep a pace. Do you get pissed when someone goes slow in the passing lane on the interstate and blocking traffic? He's just riding his ride.
    Sal Pairadice and Colorad0 like this.
  11. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a failure to obey the rules and laws of the road. "Ride your own ride" is like "live and let live", it's not a valid excuse the violate the law or the rights of others.

And no, I don't get pissed, it's a normal and anticipated traffic condition. I don't expect otherwise and deal with it as best as possible. It is what it
  12. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    You don't KNOW he's purposely speeding up to prevent others passing. It doesn't look to me as if he's speeding up a great deal and the only corners he went real slow were where there were people or houses.
  13. BalancePoint

BalancePoint Local idiot. Aspiring to regional status.

Oddometer:
    When considered from the perspective of coming from the opposite direction, I'd always rather deal with someone being toooo cautious through those tight blind curves than with someone with less experience and skill feeling pressured and thus wandering over the centerline and onto a collision course with me. If they're slowing me down going the same direction, I will stop and give them some time as suggested earlier in this thread. More often than not, though, I'm the slug. As soon as I take notice of faster riders behind me I look for a chance to let them by. I've been humbled so thoroughly on numerous occasions I prefer to just get it over with.
  14. curtis6870

curtis6870 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So he is supposed to move out of your way? Sounds a bit arrogant to me. Maybe grow a pair and put the pass on him fair and square. If you cant or wont, you dont deserve to be in front of him.
    Willsfree likes this.
  15. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    How do you know his intentions?
    You assume that is why he is speeding up. Maybe he thinks there isn't a safe place to pass, and trying to create space where he can. Maybe he just rides that way and doesn't know that guys is back there. The guy behind, doesn't exactly make it clear he is trying to pass and, with double lines, it is not really technically legal for him to do so in the places I've ridden.
  16. bomose

Oddometer:
    Once the first guy passes he knows someone is back there. If he doesn't check his mirrors to find out, then he's incompetent. Speeding up doesn't create space for someone to pass., just the opposite. No, not legal, but on tight roads with all solid lines, the only way to get around. It's not "technically " legal to pass a bicycle or tractors over double yellows, but I bet you've done it. I've ridden a lot in Texas and been passed by many pickups in no passing zones doing above 90. Not legal, but I didn't speed up to keep them from passing, I slowed and moved over some. To Curtis, no, don't move out of the way, but don't hinder either. It's apparent people on this thread ride differently. If you ride slowly, fine. Let others by. If you don't, some people may get pissed and make an unsafe pass. If you ride fast, pick a good place to pass and make sure the slow rider knows your intentions.
    klaviator likes this.
  17. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    Being incompetent is neither illegal nor intentional.
  18. bomose

Oddometer:
    I didn't say it was.
  19. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did not say he was making it easier to pass. I said he was "possibly" making a bit of space so the rider that is behind him would not be slowed as much through the corners.
    Of course, I don't know. My point is, neither do you. None of us know others intensions. You said that he was speeding up with the intent to stop the other guy from passing him. There is no way to know that, unless he has somehow expressed his intentions to you. Otherwise, you only have an assumption.

My personal belief, is if someone does not go out of his way to make it easy to "illegally" pass him, that is his choice, and not a morally corrupt one. The argument could easily be made that riding at illegal speeds, and illegally passing people in road locations that are specifically marked as being dangerous passing zones due to poor visibility endangers others, as well as, the rider participating in it, far more than what the rider in the lead is doing. I am not saying I have never done it, but, thinking of how many things could go wrong in non-controlled conditions, with others that did not sign up to "race" with me, it could be said I was an asshat when I did. Now I go to a track.

The rider behind, should have just taken a break from pretend racing for a bit and waited for a marked safe passing zone.
    Clem Fandango likes this.
  20. bomose

Oddometer:
    On those particular roads there are very few , if any, legal passing zones. I've ridden those roads many times. These roads are not like any of the Texas roads I've ridden. Some go for many miles without passing zones. Those lines are designed by the engineers for cars passing cars. They don't take into account the acceleration and short length of motorcycles for passing. Yes, it's illegal and potentially dangerous, but that's why the overtaker has to judge if he has enough time and distance to do that. And those guys are probably not "pretend" racers, just going faster than the other guy. I've seen guys at the "Dragon" who are pretend racing. They are going much faster than those guys and wouldn't be able to stop if something is in the road around the corner. Many of those roads are posted 55 mph. I'm sure I've been adjudged an asshat by some when I've overtaken them. I no longer go to the track, but still like to ride a brisk pace. Stopping and waiting until the guy gets farther ahead only allows others you might have passed to get back ahead. No, I don't know 100 percent what the overtaken guy was doing, but I have a pretty good guess.
    Sal Pairadice, klaviator and Colorad0 like this.