Is this guy a asshat tool, or are we?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by indycar, May 21, 2021.

1. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh, so if my vehicle is short enough and fast enough, I am not held to the legal markings on the road?
    Or is it, if there is too much distance between passing zones, it is ok to break the traffic laws. Maybe, how inconvenienced I am should decide what traffic laws I follow? Just my road enjoyment level?
    Should each of us have different traffic rules based on our own perceived skill level.

The road is public use. It has rules for our public use and its primary purpose is transportation from one place to another. If Uncle bob wants to park his Winnebago at the minimum speed limit for the next 300 miles without stop, he is well within his rights and moral wellbeing to do so. He is using a public road within the posted parameters.

I totally understand wanting to ride at a spirited pace. The way I see it. I can pay for private use of a road (the track. in which I will still have to operate within the rules the track owner has put in place), or I can get my panties out of a bunch if someone else is using the same public use road in a different way than me, especially when the way that person is using it, is within the posted rules, and mine is not. Then I back off, enjoy the scenery, and find different enjoyment in my ride.
    BLJPHX likes this.
  2. bomose

bomose Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Take some reading comprehension. I said "yes it is illegal and potentially dangerous". There are many rules and laws in society. I doubt you follow all of them. You are choosing the ones you want to follow. You seem to be the one getting his panties in a wad. Let's end our discussions knowing we disagree before this ends up in CSM.
    Colorad0 likes this.
  3. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL, sounds like you are making assumptions of my intentions (and reading comprehension) as you are to the guy in the video above.
    I never said you were getting your panties in a bunch. I said that I could get my panties out of a bunch. Maybe you should work on your comprehension.
    Maybe just defensive about the condition of your panties. :p
  4. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    This particular thread would do just as well in CSM.
  5. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where I am coming from on this issue; Riders should be looking out for each other....and I am not being a saint or - what's the term - virtue signaling- but this is where I am coming from. And it includes deliberately making passing easier and safer by both the faster and the slower rider. The fast rider should wait until they have a good visibility and signal and get well into the other lane. The slower rider should roll off the throttle and stay right.

Taking sides beyond this simple principle, of doing everything with some concern so we all get home safe to our families; I don't have any other interest.
    klaviator likes this.
  6. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    Yes, sometimes driving itself turns people into asshats. Its like a psycholigical test. But it should be easier for motorcyclists to respect eachother, don't you think? We are a much smaller group, we are all in pretty much mortal danger, we wave.

If you are thinking of something like the ethics of driving, yes its a national conversation that is sorely needed.
    klaviator likes this.
  7. ozmoses

ozmoses persona non grata

Oddometer:
    My motorcycling 'brother' today is the asshole in an F150 who cuts me off and flips me the bird tomorrow.

I do not disagree with you, it's just not how the world works anymore.
  8. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I hear you. It is not how the world works most times, you are right. Ultimately, all I can do really is live my life in defiance of that. I am the captain of my ship, and all that. And the reverse is also occasionally true. The guy who is an asshole one day, turns around and is a great person another time. This isn't a thing to depend on while riding however. Its only really somethng to keep you sane. We still have to ride like every car is out to kill us.
    ozmoses likes this.
  9. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    While I was riding a dual-sport in the Ozarks this past Friday, my friends and I got passed by a gaggle of sport-bikes. They passed on double-yellows on the outside of bends, etc., - generally high risk style, etc. I waved the last couple past but I needn't have. They didn't interrupt our riding at all; they passed on the opposite side of the road, with plenty of clearance and didn't crowd us. In fact, they caused us to make NO changes to our riding whatsoever. I don't recall noticing if any of them had Go Pros but as far as I know, they are not posting videos anywhere, whining about us because we didn't immediately pull to the shoulder for them.
    Clem Fandango, VX Rider and Wildmtn like this.
  10. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
    As it should be…
  11. sibyrnes

sibyrnes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    After reading all 15 pages of this train wreck of a thread, I finally watched the video. What a letdown! I saw nothing - just some guy riding his bike in what looked like a normal manner. What the hell is an asshat anyway? Where did that ridiculous term come from?
    H96669 and Big John Sny like this.
  12. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. sibyrnes

sibyrnes Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see, head up the ass = ass hat! I reckon there is no shortage of them!:-)
  14. Colorad0

Colorad0 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Unwritten rule #1

Dayypete and SFC_Ren like this.
  15. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really like how that guys puts stuff.
    I also like how he focuses on personal responsibility.

I totally agree with encouraging riders to be aware and considerate of the other riders. seems like a much better approach than calling people and asshat when they do not meet someones expectations.
    Colorad0 likes this.
  16. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    So regarding the OP: I get that the guy is speeding up on the straights, but passing this guy should be trivially easy, as he's nearly stopping before every corner. If this guy is meeting your definition of 'hard to pass' I'd say work on your comfort level passing people. If I'd encountered that guy I'm not sure I'd have even noticed him.

I don't mean this as criticism; just providing perspective. The guy is sub-30mph over and over (and over) in that video...lots of places to easily go by.
    Big John Sny, Gaulin, bomose and 3 others like this.
  17. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    Seems like a road where sub-30mph might be appropriate on some corners - but you are obviously a MUCH faster rider than everyone else.
  18. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    Probably most, definitely not everyone else; but you have entirely missed the point.

What I'm saying is that on such a road, if that guy is hard to pass for any given rider, the issue isn't that guy, it's the passing rider's comfort level in passing people. Again, it isn't a criticism, it's just an observation.
  19. slartidbartfast

Oddometer:
    I agree with your point RE passing although I tend to disagree with the assessment that the GS rider was hopelessly slow. I have come across REALLY slow riders and don't think this guy was one of them. Your initial comment came across as simply bragging.
  20. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    I didn't say that the man is slow, hopelessly or otherwise. I said that the man is going slowly enough to be easily passed.