Is this guy a asshat tool, or are we?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by indycar, May 21, 2021.

1. Knapper-UK

Knapper-UK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nor me. He didn't go over 48 mph. He'd have been history after the first bend for me.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  2. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I noticed that I slow down for curves and speed up on the straights too. Doesn't everybody?
  3. C/1/509

C/1/509 Think for yourself

Oddometer:
  4. Colorad0

Colorad0 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not if there's someone right on my ass, who wasn't there five seconds ago.

I noticed I check my mirrors all the time. Doesn't everybody?
    Fleksta and Sal Pairadice like this.
  5. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Life is for good friends and great adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Just for shits and grins I went back to look at the OP's on-screen speedo through part of the video, again.

In the first part of the video, on a straighter, more open stretch of the road, the OP only hit 55 so the suggestion that he was going way faster than the GS rider is pretty much nonsense.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  6. Knapper-UK

Oddometer:
    55.. The GS rider must have been shitting himself.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  7. Knapper-UK

Oddometer:
    I don't think anyone's described him (the GS rider) as hopelessly slow. It is hard to assess a road from a video, of course, but I would say he is definitely not a fast rider and I couldn't see why to would be difficult to pass. him. Someone who's slower than you are isn't hopeless. As long as they're competent, why shouldn't anyone ride at their own pace.
    If I'd come up upon that rider I think I'd have passed him in pretty short order. That isn't a question of bragging, just an observation.
    I have come upon seriously exasperating riders before, invariably Sunday riders who are riding sports bikes well above their own ability. They nail it in a straight line when they see another bike in the mirror and then panic at the next bend and crawl round it bolt upright and wobbling. I've ridden with someone like that and a few of us actually passed him on a bend on the inside, which sounds, a stupid thing to do, but in fact, he was so slow and his road positioning so appalling a bus could have gone through on the inside with all the time in the world.

The GS rider wasn't in that league, just slightly slower in the bends than the OP, which can be frustrating, especially if there are solid no overtaking lines in the road.
  8. Big John Sny

Big John Sny Long timer

Oddometer:
    this dude is not exactly on the GS riders ass either.
    He is almost so far back I was unsure if he wanted to pass or not.
  9. messes

messes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Having watched this through a couple of times, I don't think GS rider is that bad, sure he had fun opening the throttle on the straights but I've seen much worse in corners.

I assume the double lines mean no passing, and yet both riders did cross them at the point of the first overtake. So I also assume that OP isn't too bothered by the law and so won't be in this response.

If someone was following me that far back, I'd assume they were happy to follow along. The first rider got much closer to launch his overtake. Which is good because it's less distance to cover in the overtake and should mean a lower speed is needed overall.
    I would have closed him down more in the corner (since we're faster right?) so I am close on the way out, once I see it's clear as early as safe, move across and simply apply more throttle than the other bike. :-) Position and timing are key and I think the lack of this led to OP's frustration.

OP you might consider if you were looking far enough ahead. I feel there were missed opportunities, mostly due to being too far back for the length of clear road, but there was at least 1 long straight before you managed the overtake. Antipicate the opportunity to overtake as you exit the corner and if it's not there well you don't really have to do anything.

I understand the frustation of someone riding a corner slower than you but given the top speed on the video, it's not like the GS is going faster than most road bikes can go.
    RedEX and Willsfree like this.
  10. car94

car94 What's this Box for?

Oddometer:
    It's a Push. They all look Lame to me. But I ride like I'm late for my Funeral everywhere I go. Even when I don't have anywhere to be I'm not happy under a ton.
    BobcatSig likes this.
  11. El Hefe

El Hefe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Give the GS rider a break. He heard there was a Starbucks around the next corner. So he slowed way down on every corner expecting to turn in
  12. Andyvh1959

Andyvh1959 Cheesehead Klompen Supporter

Oddometer:
    Da frozen tundra eh? 1.5 mile west of Lambeau
    I don't hold others back, and I don't try to keep up, ride my own ride. However, on a road like this (looks a LOT like SW Wisconsin back roads), I can only hold back so much and I'd find a spot for a quick clean pass. IF the GS rider was actually trying to hold everyone back, then he's the asshat. If everyone is hounding the GS rider the asshat has passed to them. One thing for certain, the GS rider only knows one line through every turn. At the speeds he is riding is probably not an issue, until that is, he comes into a blind right hander that blends immediately into a left (or some similar situation), he'll be in the wrong position seriously. He really needs backroads/curvy roads training to understand proper lines and setup for cornering. As it is he only knows to hug the centerline which tells me he is very unsure about actively using countersteering to his advantage and eventual safety.
  13. Dayypete

Dayypete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I cannot believe the amount of sanctimonious stick up their axx people who have never tried to overtake someone only to find the passee all of a sudden finds the throttle? Do I live in a strange land? Sometimes it is just subconscious, I have done that and when I realize it, I stop it. When someone wants to pass me, I want them to be ahead of me. It is amazing to hear all of these people act like if you get behind someone you should stay there until they turn off or something.
    In any case, I have passed many a person on a double yellow and been passed on a double yellow as well. No big deal. A lot of people like to argue, just to argue. The internet forums are made for those types.
    RedEX and Sal Pairadice like this.
  14. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Were I the GS rider I would have moved right and waved both following bikes by as soon as I saw they were there and had a decent sight line.

Were I on either of the following bikes, I would have put that guy behind they did in the video.
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  15. hypersports

hypersports Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jesus man, 16 pages of this so I finally go get a look at the video. Wow, dude was out for a leisurely stroll just singing his song and the OP couldn't find his spot to pass for over 3 minutes??? You gotta know your skillset man. If that kind of scenario is a problem for you aint gonna do you no good to get pissed. Odds are you run into that kind of stuff every time out! So settle in man, hang tight for 3 or 5 or 10 minutes until you feel you got this and go ahead and pass and enjoy your ride :thumb
  16. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think anyone is objecting to being passed on a DY by someone who chooses to do so safely. It's the judgmental expectation, and sense of self granted entitlement a few have that is objectionable.
  17. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep. The day I can't let a fellow rider pass safely ( and with thumbs up) because of my insecurity, or lack of awareness - that's the day I quit riding.
    Colorad0 likes this.
  18. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Plenty of opps to pass him by crossing the double yellow. Time to add "No more Mr. Nice Guy" to your play list. :D
  19. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    This thread has convinced me it's mostly an opportunity for a few to humble brag, or virtue signal, as its rarely a real issue. Most are able to pass and be passed without issue.
  20. Project84

Project84 I can haz adventure?

Oddometer:
    To bump for the sake of it...

I believe part of "ride your own ride" also includes acing people (what I call passing, be it vehicles or bikes) who end up kinda... in your way. From the video I believe there was plenty of passing room at the 2:00 mark, then you can see through the turn at 2:15, 2:31 there was a chance, 2:40 opened up, etc. I'm young and dumb, however.

If I'm riding my ride and someone halts all the fun, I end up chomping at the bit so to speak. Just pass 'em and leave them a distant memory and continue having fun.

That said, yes, mirror and etiquette are important. Let faster riders around. Hell, encourage them to go by. It's the right thing to do for everyone involved.