Island Transfer for bikes

Discussion in 'Asia' started by chook chaser, Jun 18, 2009.

1. chook chaser

chook chaser adv

Oddometer:
    Salama laki laki
    Are there any restrictions for taking a m/bike to the various islands around Indonesia, permit required, re licensing?
    eg/ if I buy a bike in Java can I take it to Bali, lombok with no probblems??
    Terima Kashi
    Greg,
  2. dpouwel

dpouwel Petualang

Oddometer:
    hahahaha....salam laki-laki

nope, no need permission to taking a bike from one island to another :D

anytime Greg :D
    Pouwel
  3. chook chaser

chook chaser adv

Oddometer:
    TX dpouwel for that info one question solved
    I had a look at laki laki I was trying for brother but didnt want big brother or small brother so i just went for laki laki I find out it just means male heheheh
    more practise required :D Salamat laki laki sounds a bit mmmmmmmmmmmmmm hehe:D
    gracias amigo dpouwel salamat tingaal greg
  4. h17

h17 Enjoying The Ride

Oddometer:
    helow guys... hehehe i thik that's referring to salam laki laki...

if the bike has indonesian registration you wont get any difficulty or what so ever to cross through any island in indonesia.

cheers greg

:freaky
  5. T-REDZ

T-REDZ ADVentourider

Oddometer:
    Hahahahaha... I still don't understand with your words: "Salam Laki-laki"? is that mean: "Hello Brother..?":jjen

Greg,
    as long as you have a legal motorcycle with license and registration, you don't have to worry about taking that bike anywhere in Indonesia. :dj

But, maybe to buy one you have to do some registration or for a simple one, using your Indonesian buddy for the owner name...

Don't worry, all ADV Riders are brothers, so if u need our help, don't be a stranger... just e-mail us and we'll try our best to help you..

:pynd:pynd
  6. dpouwel

dpouwel Petualang

Oddometer:
    the good news is if Greg buy 2nd hand bike he doesn't need to register the bike.

FYI Greg if you buy a 2nd hand bike from people, you will receive BPKB (Certificate of ownership of motor vehicles), STNK (Motor vehicle license) which using past owner's name and invoice. Both BPKB and STNK are on hand certificate and license, i mean even those certificate taged past owner's name it will be your's if you keep it with the invoice. When you riding don't forget to bringing STNK but no need BPKB and invoice, keep the last two safe coz if you losing BPKB it's mean you lost your bike. so i suggest buy a 2nd bike rather than hiring it than you can sell it before back to your country:D

for addition, if you buy 2nd hand bike from dealer you will pay tax than both BPKB and STNK will tag your name, but of course more time and more money needed
  7. chook chaser

chook chaser adv

Oddometer:
    Salamat dpouwel

If I loose these papers but not the bike can I get other papers or does it mean that the last person on the BOKB means by the law they still own the bike.
    Also do you know of any International insurance companies that do insurance for m/bikes
    Terima kasih
    Greg
  8. dpouwel

dpouwel Petualang

Oddometer:
    well, that is unordinary chases:D usually people loose their bike but still have BPKB....it's very very difficult to administer lost BPKB and maybe it's not worth. But even you loose BPKB you still can walking around with your m/bike, furthermore there's no need BPKB if you will elongate STNK, you need BPKB only for selling m/bike because with BPKB it's mean that bike is yours

about m/bike insurance we not too familiar, only cars and 'expensive bike' such as HD, DUCATI, and all of more than 600cc legaly purchased bikes can be insuranced
  9. chook chaser

chook chaser adv

Oddometer:
    Salamat dpouwel
    Insurance is mainly for cover for the third person and damage to their vehicle
    dont want to get into hassles with having to pay up for damage to persons hospital treatmeant etc would be a nightmare in a foriegn country.
    How do you go for securing you bikes are they kept in side or just on the street locked up?
    cheers greg
  10. dpouwel

dpouwel Petualang

Oddometer:
    i see, i just remember...all insurance company both national and internasional doesn't offering insurance for m/bike except for Harley, DUCATI, and all 'expensive bike' which priced more than US$10.000

most of indonesian using less than 250cc m/bike and insurance company doesn't offering insurance for small thumpers:cry

to secure our bike of course we keep it inside our house/buliding at night. When we go outside we can park our bike in parking area, you will see a lot of parking area in indonesia:D. There's a "tukang parkir"--> a man who secure your bike, we pay him/her Rp.500-Rp2.000, and definitely you'll find a lot of "tukang parkir" too:D

when we go adventure of course we must keep an eye:lol3

Cheers Pouwel
  11. T-REDZ

T-REDZ ADVentourider

Oddometer:
    insurance is covering for a leasing bike for 3 years with condition: Total Lost Only, which is mean that the company only covering if the damage is over 80% condition or the bike is lost.

But, after 3 years, people ussualy doesn't care dan didn't covering their bike into insurance again..

I always put my bike in insurance for at least 5 years.. after that? sell it.. hahaha..
  12. T-REDZ

T-REDZ ADVentourider

Oddometer:
    Don't worry, everytime we buy a bike/car, we have a MoU/selling letter with duty stamp that will proved that the bike is belong to you..

But don't worry, u can always use our name if you want to buy bike while you were here, so u don't have to worry about regulation and just ride. When u're about to leave Indonesia, sell it..
  13. dpouwel

dpouwel Petualang

Oddometer:
    i dunno that
  14. T-REDZ

T-REDZ ADVentourider

Oddometer:
    Just for sure brother.. :)

But if you buy your bike in cash, usually they're not coming with an insurance. It's different if you buy your bike by leasing.. They're usually insurance the bike for 3 years. After 3 years, I usually lengthened it two years more then sell it after 5 years.. ;)
  15. mujiburrahman

mujiburrahman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    for short term it is better to by a bike 2nd hand less complicated and ready for the road if buy new then must follow all the procedures which in my experience took about a month

the importing in jumping from one island to the other in Indonesia that that you have all the relevant documents some times there are inspections by the police about identification and vehicle registration usually done in Ports or on the side of the road.