ISO my ideal electric motorcycle...

Discussion in 'Electric Motorcycles' started by Andrew, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    My R1150GS is a daily ride, but I'm wondering if an electric would be good perch for my lazy butt. My basic criteria:

100+ mile range at freeway speeds (75 or 80 mph)
    Adequate suspension for my weight, 230 pounds naked, plus gear and luggage
    Ergonomic for my height, 6' 6"
    Thermal battery management
    Regenerative braking
    Simple iPhone app for tuning and tweaking
    Decent ground clearance for hopping curbs and ditches

The Zero comes close, but its battery management seems sucky, losing charge at high speeds.
  2. ultrarnr

ultrarnr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Andrew,

Based on what you are looking for it doesn't exist. The Zero doesn't even come close. I have a SR, and the range is far from what you are looking for. The only electric motorcycle that can get you 100+ miles at freeway speeds is a Bell Custom Cycle Brutus V9. http://brutusmotorcycle.com/brutusV9.html#specs And I don't think the V9 has any thermal battery management and I doubt it is an iPhone app.
    The need for thermal battery management on an electric motorcycle is due to DCFC heating up your battery and slowing your charging speed. Have seen this on my Energica Eva. But that would also add a lot of weight and cost and considering how often that really is a problem I doubt you see thermal management on electric motorcycles any time soon.
  3. wombatz

wombatz Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Thanks, and yes, that's my sense, too. It would of course be fun to have a trials bike, or pure city putt-putt... but I have room for about one motorcycle, and I definitely have combat commutes to see my customers around the area. That said, I'm keen on the idea and will keep my eyes on the new models coming along.

Thermal management needn't be a heavy addition, by the way. Air and liquid cooling through a battery pack can be achieved by fairly simple means.
  5. ultrarnr

ultrarnr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Energica has air vents through the middle of their battery pack, directly behind the front tire. But when you need air flow through the battery pack the most is when you are parked and charging with CCS. You can tell when the battery is getting warm as the charging will start to taper a lot sooner than it usually does. This time of year it isn't an issue but you will definitely see it in the summer. (At least in North Carolina)

I am lucky enough to have a big garage so I have room for more than one motorcycle! Right now I use my KTM 1290 SA for the long trips and when range and or charging time isn't an issue I take my Eva 107. The Eva is more fun than the KTM but not practical as someone's only bike.