Israel !

Discussion in 'Africa & Mid East' started by icestorm, Nov 20, 2008.

1. mikyheimann

mikyheimann Miky

Oddometer:
    No.
    And you can't miss an orange elefant..
  2. Bonsai Elephant

Bonsai Elephant Banned

Oddometer:
    But those black ones fade into the forest like a wolf in the night...
  3. dpetri

dpetri Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

My name is Daniel and I live near Tel-Aviv. As it happens, I am also the manager of Israel's largest bikers forum at http://www.tapuz.co.il/Forums2008/ForumPage.aspx?ForumId=8 (my nickname there is "Mitsu", in Hebrew).

As most people said, there isn't a steady and running bike rental business in the country, and the only occasional rentals are from the Harley and (possibly, not as of this moment) BMW dealers. Do NOT expect to be able to easily rent a bike here, unless it's a small scooter for city travel.

Some additional tips:

For those traveling WITH your bike: Riding is done, as in most of Europe, on the right side of the road. Unlike some countries, most drivers obey the traffic rules, but do NOT expect them to do so, and ALWAYS be careful. We've got at least 40 motorcycle kills each year, and most of these are because of driver-biker incidents, with around 80% of the accidents in total are due to the driver's fault.

Speed limit is (usually) 50 Kph in the city, 80-90 on most roads, and 90-100-110 on the highways. Speed limits are not as roughly enforces as in some countries (talk about Switzerland...), but you don't want to be caught. If you are caught, you ***may*** be able to get away if you're really nice, show your passport, and speak some foreign language, but don't bet on it. You do NOT want to offer anything besides your papers to the cop, because that WILL get you into trouble... Speed enforcement is done by means of static cameras on poles on the side of the roads (more of these are going to be installed this year... :-( ), laser traps (only from the front, never from the rear), mobile cameras on unmarked police cars that are parked on the side of roads (mostly, as of this moment, WV Jetta, Honda Accords, Skoda Octavia and some Mazda 6), and from mobile radars (BEE) on marked and unmarked policy cars. Radar detectors are legal, but radar jammers are NOT.

Signs are easy to understand. Directions to places are (usually) written both in Hebrew and English (as well as Arabic), however do not expect this to always be true, and a localized GPS would be a good companion.

Weather is mostly sunny and warm, with approx. 300 days of sun per year. We do get rain (or we hope to get rain) in the winter, from approx October to March, but the last 7 years were bad in terms of rain and so far, this year, we only got about 10-15 days of rain in total... Winter can be cold, but not as cold as Europe or North America. If it snows, it only snows once or twice, and only on the Hermon mountain with small chances of snow in Jerusalem and the Galilee mountains. Besides the high areas, roads are almost 99.999% ice free, so no special riding gear is needed except some good warming clothes and some good rain protection, if you ride in the winter. Summer, however, is long, warm, and sunny with 0% rain, from June to September. Temperatures can go as high as 30, 35, and even 40 degrees (C), with some very hot places that can be even warmer. The Tel-Aviv area and beach areas will also have high humidity (not as high as Florida for example), so combine that with heat and you get a very hot weather that will cause you to strip to your shorts and T-shirt. Do NOT expect to be able to keep your riding gear on, and if you do, you need to drink a lot!

The entire length of Israel from top to bottom can be ridden in one day (!), although doing so will make your trip here virtually useless as there's so much to see and so many places to visit, especially if you're into seeing holy or historic places, or into seeing the interesting city life in Tel-Aviv, Jerusalem or Haifa. I'd spend at least 7-10 days riding here.

I am personally acquainted with most of the dealers and some of the best shops in the country, and I will be happy to assist if there's any need.

If you ever come to the area and need some local assistance, feel free to contact me at daniel AT mitsu DOT co DOT il and mention you came from Advrider. I cannot promise 100% availability, but I'll do my best.

BTW, as of this moment I am waiting to get my brand new KTM 990 R bike, so wish me luck! The dealer (Tomer, who has been mentioned here in this thread) promised to have it ready by Tuesday. If it's not, the ENTIRE world will soon know! :rofl
  4. Bonsai Elephant

Bonsai Elephant Banned

Oddometer:
    He was late with mine...

:lol3

Tithadesh and I expect I will see you on the KTM organised rides!

Edit: This was in responde to dpetri's post - which has since disappeared!
  5. danmurphymn

danmurphymn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I've read through all of the info in this thread and I'd love to contact anyone who lives in Israel so I can have a contact to help me with info. I'm thinking of taking a trip to Israel in 2012 and would love to rent a motorcycle to spend 2 weeks or so there. If anyone can email me and is willing to be a contact for me who I can ask questions, I would greatly appreciate it.

danmurphymn@gmail.com
  6. McCormack

McCormack Cronkite of CSM

Oddometer:
    Looks like the last update was a year ago. Any new developments on rentals? I'm in Hadera for the next 5 weeks and would love to rent a bike on Fridays/Saturdays.
  7. mikyheimann

mikyheimann Miky

Oddometer:
  8. Jerrykap

Jerrykap Motorbike mishugana

Oddometer:
    Hello Landsmen & Landsgals?,

The wife (Joanie, my wonderful shiksa) and I will be over for our first ever trip to Eratz Yisroael. So much to see and do in so little time. But if all possible, I'd love to hook up with some fellow ADV riders to see what it's like over there. Even if it's only socially that's alright by me.

Please feel free to get in touch with me through this forum, email= jerrykap@pacbell.net or skype user name= jerrykap.

Also, if there's anything I can do for you up here in Northern, CA (Davis between Sacramento & San Francisco) let me know and I'll do what I can.

Shalom & C-ya,

Jer :norton
  9. Bonsai Elephant

Bonsai Elephant Banned

Oddometer:
    Jerry, when will you be there?
  10. Jerrykap

Jerrykap Motorbike mishugana

Oddometer:
    We arrive very early in the morning of 20 March and leave the afternoon of 2 April. Thanks for getting in touch.

C-ya, Jer:norton
  11. abhicles

abhicles Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know this thread is over 18 months old, but I'm wondering if there's anyone that could give me a hint when it comes to renting a bike for my girlfriend and I to explore Tel Aviv and Jerusalem for a couple of days. (Road suggestions are also greatly appreciated!)

Can anyone spare a couple of minutes of time to help me out? I've looked at a few of the links earlier in the thread, but it seems the best I can find is around $80/day for a 250cc scooter. I'm sure it's a big ask, but I'm hoping to find a motorcycle (instead of a scooter) for cheaper.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can give me!
  12. Camelrider

Camelrider wondering wanderer

Oddometer:
  13. deg10715

deg10715 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi All, I know this is an old thread but I will be in Israel for a month and wanted to rent a 250 + scooter, I will be based in Jerusalem but happy to trek anywhere. If anyone has any ideas that would be awesome. Only place (in English) I can find is 50 bucks a day which is steep for a month