"It doesn't get any better than this"

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Dalmatino, Dec 30, 2017.

1. davesupreme

davesupreme grand poobah

Oddometer:
    i remember going up/down some of that stuff at Moab, Chicken Corners was awesome...... i didn't care if the right line was on the edge, cause' over the edge was 100'+ DOWN, i'm takin' the BAD LINE on the inside..... and that was the EASY stuff..... that big tank w/all the weight on the front even made it even worse, i couldn't ride it, i had to take it off.......
  2. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    This is what happens to you when you aren't watching closely or have poor line choice or can't see the trail directly in front of the front tire. (jump to 4:49) No thanks.
    Eatmore Mudd and JCool like this.
  3. Dao1

Dao1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not DRZ, but.....=>> RMZ = usd forks = Showa Twin chamber style forks
    hydraulic clutch = Magura kit ($299)...but w/ the KTM version Magura (or Brembo) master cyl.
    https://touratech-usa.com/store/Magura-Hydraulic-Clutch-Kit-Suzuki-DR650
    [​IMG]

but I agree...awesome bike w/ some nice stuff.
  4. JCool

JCool Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's probably a KLR. :imaposer
    Bitingdog and Navin like this.
  5. beernutt

beernutt This space for rent

Oddometer:
    Looks bitchin' at Starbucks.
    Bitingdog and JCool like this.
  6. Dalmatino

Dalmatino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sweet Jesus, Ok, I am definitely in new territory. Perception is everything and probably should have thought a bit more about the title lol..

I hate clutter and all that shit (weight) on front forks/handlebars so I really liked the simplicity and neatness of that set up!

For my needs I want the fearing because it will be used as a long distance Adventure bike. Although I'm not a good off-road rider with total lac of experience I can appreciate the fact that this is not an ideal setup for hard core off-road stuff nor is the DR but for me it will be lot better than the 15 Vstrom 1K I got.

I did a lot of research in last 3-4 months to decide on which bike in this class would be most appropriate for me and my needs (for these trips) and the DR650 made sense. I should add that Money wasn't the deciding factor in the equation at all.

I have owned 2 DR650's previously. First was prepped as SM bike cause I liked to go to technical twisty tarmac and beat up on sport bikes lol, so I am familiar with them and their durability...a key factor!

Yenkro fairing kit had a lot to do with the decision also. Not being wind blasted hour after hour and day after day makes things much more enjoyable. Looks quality and part to boot.

So that's it in a nut shell lol.......
  7. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Fairings are great for prolonged distances on highway, and if you do any type of dirt touring in Australia, long stretches of fast dirt/highway are unavoidable, so that's why they are a desired thing on an adventure bike, I have also seen the creator of that fairing take a Safari tank equipped DR with the fairing set up through some pretty shitty rocky hills and single track.

Just remember this is an adventure riding forum, not everyone here is using there bikes for single track, some people here are actually using them for weeks long touring.:D

Mind you, this is my last set up...
    20160626_092900.jpg

It was great for touring, but I ended up selling the rally kit because I wasn't doing any big rides, and have happily run it as a normal 525 for a couple of years now.

And now I'm selling all my bigger bikes and just keeping a couple of 250s...
    PlowHand, GR0NK and Eatmore Mudd like this.
  8. capulin overdrive

capulin overdrive Been here awhile

Oddometer:

And that's why you have your PLB on your body!

JFC that's beyond sobering! Have seen enough of your vids to not armchair quarterback, and could very easily be anyone of us.
    ShineySideUp likes this.
  9. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    That wasn't technical single track, it's the Trans American Trail. Main east/west adventure route in the US, probably the most popular adv route in the US.

I agree, wind protection is great I put some on my 500 for distance rides but plan on standing allot off road with that kind of setup because you can't see through it.

THis gives great wind protection, weights about a pound, doesn't compromise the bike's handling and I can sit or stand and see perfectly. The only thing it doesn't have is the cool Dakar look.

[​IMG]
    PlowHand, GR0NK, Navin and 2 others like this.
  10. JCool

JCool Long timer

Oddometer:
    What screen is that ?
  11. Dalmatino

Dalmatino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's pretty sweet! What would that be a 530 or 450?
  12. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    Its a 500, the screen is made by Bajaworx, it'd work on allot of bikes as long at there room to bolt it to the number plate and the number plate doesn't have too much angle (slope) Here's some info
    JCool likes this.
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Fair enough.

I'm betting you are getting some kinda spif from Pitster. As a product pimper, I recognize other pimpers work.
    Navin likes this.
  14. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Wait I thought the $40 Chinese eBay version getting fluffed over in the Pitster thread was the bomb?
    Dao1 likes this.
  15. oldenuf

oldenuf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Almost 2018 here on the west coast USA.
    If it feels good, be it a ride of any make, plain or farkled, that's what is important.

Happy New Year....
  16. JCool

JCool Long timer

Oddometer:
    It feels better if it doesn't look stupid. :lol3
    Navin likes this.
  17. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    Come on Chris, that's just bad riding and you know it. :nod
    Whether he was inexperienced, tired or both has no bearing on the bike. Yeah the bike can exacerbate the problem eventually (heavy, bad suspension) but you just have to know when you're over your head. Granted that doesn't happen very often to riders like you or I but we don't all have 40+ years of riding in our bag of tricks. :deal
    Yes I know accidents happen, again, not the bike's fault.

If you are a slow technical rider there is no place on a bike for such a vision block however small it is. You should't be looking directly in front of your tire regardless of what speed you're doing. If you hit a babyhead that knocks you off it's because you are either not scanning far enough ahead or you are simply outriding your abilities.

Not a thumper but I still ride it like one...

Dutchess dashboard_zpsmtqmtpbv.jpg

The fairing really doesn't block much. I'm sitting for the most part and my camera is mounted eye-level on the side of my helmet. You can see closer than you really need to.
    I stand to take a little jump at 1:11 and from that position I can see the front fender. Unless I am doing pavement I sit/stand 50/50 and don't find the fairing gets in the way.
    (Disclaimer: My camera and editing abilities suck compared to yours so don't judge too harshly. :D )

I agree with you about the SPOT. I would never mount one on the fairing like in the first pic. Even with two broken arms I would rather have it on my body. To each their own I guess. :beer

Ultimately I am lucky that I don't have to resort to putting a fairing or windscreen on my 525 because I have the 950 but I have had that 525 for ten years now and never really felt it needed it for how I used it. I understand someone with a one-bike solution may have a different take on it.

Sean :-)
  18. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    I agree, that was a skill issue. I mainly posted it to show what's at stake. Experience counts for allot. You've been busy
    GR0NK and Navin like this.
  19. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

No spif, schwaaaag, spleefzz, snitzzz or schneef, nor rides in the Pitster company private jet. Ive not been lavished with sexual favors. Not even a LB lap dance. Actually, Ive been stiffed by every LXR buyer on my single Monster can request! (@Dirtleg )

I did get a nice Pitster baseball hat with my warranty replacement gas tank and shrouds to replace my defective leaker with siezed bolts.

Does that make me a "baller"? If so....

It doesnt get any better than this!

image.jpeg
    GR0NK, eakins, Dirtleg and 1 other person like this.
  20. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:

You get your MTV on that thing grinky?
    GR0NK likes this.