it was a nice Saturday morning until...

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Buzztail, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Met HTSRocker for a quick coulpa hours of trail riding. Weather was spot on, not a thing to bitch about. I just put on some new TKCs. I'd come through some deep sand and was feeling good about the situation as a whole.:ricky My boots were good and muddy, my KLR was running good, and we were two miles from getting back on the hard road when :doh
    [​IMG]
    The sand got me. Somewhere along the way I figured I'd sit down on the seat. Well that was not my best idea ever. Front tire rode up on the side of the rut, and it got hairy from there! After a couple of fishtails, and crossing the center into the other rut I knew I was screwed. As my shoulder was doing a bottom plow impression I heard something break. When I came to a stop I could not breath, but I laid still and counted to 10. Got my air back , and wiggled my toes to make sure I could still. Moved my helmet around a bit and sat up. I knew what was broken right away- I could feel it moving and the two ends rubbing against each other.
    HTSR called NoleDiver for an extraction cause I was in no shape to ride out. When ND and his SO got there we quickly figured on him riding the KLR out and Ms. NoleDiver driving my sorry hide to the ER (where my wife is a nurse)
    The X-ray guy said "I'm no Doctor, but your shit is broken" :lol3 X-ray guy is a friend of Ms. Buzztail, and also rides.
    I got some kind of "figure 8" thing on right now, and I go to see Tallahassee Ortho Center tomorrow to see what my options are.
    I can't thank HTSR enough for the ride yesterday morning and him, ND, and Ms. ND for their help after the DOH. I look forward to riding with you guys again ASAP!
    Mugwest likes this.
  2. Monsignore

Monsignore Plunger Boy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Heal quick! Nothing like the sound of your own bone(s) snapping to brighten up your day.:deal
  3. shovelstrokeed

shovelstrokeed Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sucks to bust that and there is no amount of gear that will prevent it if you land just wrong.

Speedy healing, whatever they decide to do although I think your gonna wind up with some extra metal in you from the looks of that.
    Dale402 likes this.
  4. Bender

Bender I can pass this guy..

Oddometer:
    Where HTSRocker goes, trouble follows. :wave

Heal up fast.
  5. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the well wishes! I hope to get some good news tomorrow from the Ortho Doc. How long do these kinds of things usually keep someone from riding?
  6. NoleDiver

NoleDiver trees are hard

Oddometer:
    You got that right! I guess Buzztail is just another notch in HTSR's handlebars.:rofl

Who will be next...?:lurk
  7. SomeAssemblyRequired

SomeAssemblyRequired Here kitty kitty kitty

Oddometer:
    Me, actually :cry -- I snapped my right collarbone in two places yesterday when I swerved to miss a rat-sized dog and hit the rear brake a little heavy. Over-corrected and high-sided, landing on the right shoulder. ATTGATT prevented other more serious injuries (the Shoei looks a little worse for the wear) so I guess I'm "lucky".
  8. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Between the two of us, we have a good pair.... Heal quickly, and keep us posted.
    What kind of brace are you in? They gave me two choices. The figure 8 deal that I'm in now, and a total shoulder immoblilzer. I can't spank the monkey with my shoulder on lock down so I had to go with door number one:deal
  9. HTSRocker

HTSRocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like things started going wrong at the beginning of this turn.

[​IMG]

as I remember this was the scene when I looked back, on my way to paved road.

[​IMG]

and was the last time I ever saw Buzztail.

[​IMG]

thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
  10. SomeAssemblyRequired

SomeAssemblyRequired Here kitty kitty kitty

Oddometer:
    They just put me in a sling and gave me enough percocet to keep me in a haze until I see the orthopedist tomorrow. Since it's in three parts, it'll probably need some sort of plate.
  11. NoleDiver

NoleDiver trees are hard

Oddometer:
    How much for that KLR in the garage? Do I get a delivery discount er sumthin'?
  12. GoNOW

GoNOW Long timer

Oddometer:
    I snapped mine just like that into 3 bits. I am no doctor, but I went with the no surgery option as suggested by many doctor friends. They said the risk or infection and recovery was not worth it. It healed up just fine, but not pretty as the two bones didn't realign themselves, just formed a bridge between. I have a nice bump in that area now from the "shelf" between the bones, but it has caused no other problems.
  13. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Appt today at 10 for the Ortho Doc. My main concern is being able to shoot a rifle again. I will ride again, but it'll take time. I have heard horror stories about never shooting off of that shoulder again though:(:

Hurts a bunch this morning, but I'm flying solo (no meds) to see what they say about surgery.
    After that,I gotta see what my boss thinks about me being off work for awhile:waysad
  14. doughy

doughy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Buzz, don't work yourself up too much. Its a dandy of a break, but in a week you can ride slab again. Keep moving your shoulder and wear the brace. The figure 8 one. NO MATTER WHAT!!.........put it over a T-shirt just so you don't get raw in the armpits. Use your shoulder as much as possible to prevent stiffing. I busted mine about 5-6 weeks ago. I didn't keep my brace on and I didn't move my shoulder up and down. Now I have a weak shoulder without the movement. Use the perks too minimize the pain of moving it. Go to the limit then rest. If you look at the GTA tread in canada forums and you can see me out on a trail fixing my brace two weeks after my break. Its sucks ass but a week or so and you can ride again. just don't be dumb like me and hit trails, and try one wheeled action until the fourth or 5th week. Im in Canada we don't have the riding season you do, if you can rest it or are willing to, do so.
    bykemike likes this.
  15. HTSRocker

HTSRocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well :ear what did the Doc say?
  16. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    looks like I'll get cut Tuesday or Wednesday. three days after I should have full mobility. coupla weeks more until I'm good to go
    it ain't cheap though..
  17. HTSRocker

HTSRocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    How are they going to handle it?
  18. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    plates and screws. They even said that down the road I could have them removed if I wanted. My shoulder will be in the right place, and the same height as the other.
    out paitent ordeal, about three hours worth. two or three days down time and a month or so reduced activity. I asked about shooting, and riding, should be no problem in short order. Better outcome for the longrun I think.
    Being that it's kinda new (4-5 years), and still pretty much elective- I'm a little skeptical.

besides- chicks dig scars:evil
  19. HTSRocker

HTSRocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sucks about the surgery but good it will be repaired. Will you be getting any tracking devices installed while they're at it?
  20. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    I'll be making sure I wear my tinfoil hat to block the mind altering brainwaves.
    The less "uncle" is able to keep tabs on me the better..
    45-70 Govt is one of the few things with 'government' in it that's worthwhile