it was a nice Saturday morning until...

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Buzztail, Jul 6, 2008.

1. SomeAssemblyRequired

SomeAssemblyRequired Here kitty kitty kitty

Oddometer:
    Hey Buzztail, we're in parallel universes.:thumb I had my appointment today and also opted for the surgery -- nice titanium plate to tie the three bits together, with the mechanical work scheduled for next Monday. My decision was based on the odds he gave -- a 40% chance that it would have failed to heal at the 3 month point. :eek1That's a lot of extra down time -- not to mention complications -- if I need surgery then. No way I'm going to take nearly 50% chance that would keep me in orthopedic jail for half a year if that jagged mess didn't heal right.
  2. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hear ya. My left shoulder is noticably lower than my right. I like to shoot the big thumpin' rifles, and am not about to risk losing my ability to take the .45-70 out for a walk in the woods- screw that!
    I made the appt for next Tuesday- I'm on the hook for 20%, but I think it'll be worth itfor the chance of healing better and faster. Adding the fact that without the surgery the odds of hunting with the big bores again was slim and none.
    They actually tried to bill my auto insurance for the ER, and the visit today-:huh
    Talked to my boss today too, and he seems o.k. with my "vacation". He said that he'd call me if he really needed, but I should do what's best for my long term health and comfort. :clap

My wife works in the hospital 1/4 mile from the Ortho clinic where I'll be, and can take off when she gets the call that I can leave. I'd have loved to been able to do it this week, but his schedule was full.
  3. SomeAssemblyRequired

Oddometer:
    Let's compare notes next week, after the hardware is installed. Not sure what it'll cost but the insurance is pretty good -- worth the price in any event, compared to the if-come-maybe "let it be" approach. I say one month and we'll be riding again :clap
  4. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Will do. I'll be home from now until the end of next week for the most part.
  5. echo15

echo15 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Buzz,
    Over 90% of the time clavicles heal all by themselves even if not treated.... however if like mine, it isn't healing after 8 weeks do not hesitate to get the surgery.
    I waited too long and ended up with a "frozen shoulder". After 1 1/2 years, I can now scratch my right ear with my right hand.
  6. Squelch

Squelch Everyday People

Oddometer:
    I'm kinda glad I was in Wisconsin and missed the ride. I'd have been the one to go down, I'm sure, being the noob and all...

Heal up quick - I broke my collarbone playing football in school, and had to wear that figure-8 brace for a few weeks. Everywhere you go it looks like you're puffing your chest out bowing up on people...
  7. Nialis

Nialis Super Motarded

Oddometer:

I never, ever, ever, ever dodge anything smaller than a deer. I learned the hard way :cry. But Since the beginning of this summer I have run over, 3 Opossums, 2 rat dogs, 2 Groundhogs, a shit load of squirrels, and 1 mattress. I am going to get some little stickers for the beak of my GS, kinda like the pilots in WWII for each kill put the animal shaped sticker on the beak ;) I am sure this post will offend some people but I really don't think it's worth risking my life or my bike over some stupid asshole's dog they let run loose on a busy road.
    Mugwest likes this.
  8. SomeAssemblyRequired

Oddometer:
    Good advice. All my non-riding friends agree (wife being the notable exception) that the little bastard should've ended up with tire tracks up his rear. It's a hard mentality to adopt unless you've suffered the consequences, as I now have. Lesson learned!:eek1
  9. mrpete64

mrpete64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From my experiences..and others...plan on a year before it is back to normal. I broke my leg, last September, and it is still a mess. Body armor might be in your "cards" for the future.

Heal well!

Mr. Pete--->
  10. Sucks2drive

Sucks2drive Banned

Oddometer:
    Remember If the doc or Rehab people give you excercises to do, DO THEM!:deal

Otherwise it will take MUCH longer to heal.

These words of wisdom are from someone who thought he knew better than a Doc,:rofl Its gonna hurt to do em, just take a Vicodin, a large JD and get on with with the excercise,

Best wishes on your recovery!

mARTYN

11. LoneStrom

LoneStrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heal up quick man, those TKCs aren't going to wear themselves out.
  12. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    I was worried the rear wouldn't last me the rest of the year:rofl Looks like I may give it a month and a half off from any abuse. I hope to be back on my commute in three or four weeks- don't tell the wife:wink:
    I can't explain how much fun I had up until the last 5 seconds of the ride, I will be doing it again! I will also probably start back on the XT225 because I won't want to be hauling #400 of mean green around in the woods for awhile:deal
  13. fas

fas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GF shoud do the monkey.............
  14. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Married....so I'm on my own:lol3
    Mugwest likes this.
  15. rboett

rboett posser noob 205

Oddometer:
    oh man,, speedy recovery to you both.

I use a general rule of thumb,, if it is about the size of something you could eat in one sitting,, don't swerve...:deal
  16. NoleDiver

NoleDiver trees are hard

Oddometer:
    Can't ya shoot right-handed?
  17. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Yep:wink: But why limit my options? While in the woods I usually shoot off of the shoulder that is needed, and would be easier to change calibers than change tactics. I would rather shoot from the left shoulder though from the bench though.
  18. SomeAssemblyRequired

Oddometer:
    Hey Buzz, one down and one to go? I had my surgery yesterday, now proud owner of titanium plate holding all the bits together. They found another piece of free-floating bone that was hidden by the X-rays, so the surgery really was a no-brainer. While he was in there, he also repaired a misalignment from my last collarbone incident -- 39 years ago!:clap They gave me percocet/oxycodone for pain management, plus a few tabs of morphine if it got really bad. So far so good, though.

I hope to have a picture of the latest X-ray posted in a few days after post-op visit to the doc on Thu.:eek1
  19. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    I'm goggy still, but everything was more broken up than expected... just got home- going to sleep. will update tomorrow.
  20. Homemade

Homemade n00b

Oddometer:
    I hope you heal up right I broken a 2 inch section out of my left collarbone 5 years ago.
    Doc said to wear the figure 8 strap for a while and thats it.
    Well after a week he said take it off.

Well 5 years later and it still hurts so make sure your happy with what ever they do.