it was a nice Saturday morning until...

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by Buzztail, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    ok. first of all the "nerve block" thing they did in my neck gets a big thumbs up!
    when they got inside, they found everything more broken up than they thought. the recovery time will be longer due to the fact that they are worried about the screws pulling out of the weak bone. the surgery took longer than expected too. i am still a bit loopy, and don't feel like eating. no pain to speak of yet though, so atleast that's going my way...
    ice pack 4 hrson and 4 off for a coupla days, and pain meds as needed. i have to wear these stocking things till thurs.
    I don't remember a thing from surgery, but had the most vivid dreams last night. I'll keep ya'll updated, and thanks for the kind thoughts
  2. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear it!! I have a follow-uo in a week (i think) Can't wait to see hardware pics!!
  3. SomeAssemblyRequired

SomeAssemblyRequired Here kitty kitty kitty

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, stockings, ice, the works. Came back from the surgery hungry as a bear, though; no stomach probs.

I'm learning the hard way on the meds -- felt good 24 hours after coming home from the surgery and tapered off on the dosage. Big mistake.:waysad So I now know you have two choices, at least for now: stay in a constant fog with the drugs (but pain just maybe 2-3 on the 10 scale), or stay lucid and hurt like hell. Follow-up with sawbones is tomorrow. I'd go through it again if this turns out to be the fast track back onto the bike as promised.
  4. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    +1 I agree with everything else you said too.
  5. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  6. GoNOW

GoNOW Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you have to safety wire it?
  7. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    They did all the bolting, I was just there for the ride:tb
  8. SomeAssemblyRequired

Oddometer:
    Wow -- I guess there's more than one way to get reassembled. :evil Mine has some kind of internal stitching that comes out next Friday. Right now it's not nearly as pretty as yours -- actually an unsightly mess of sutures, surgical tape and sickly orange disinfectant.:eek1
  9. NoleDiver

NoleDiver trees are hard

Oddometer:
    Nice work, man. That will make for a good scar.
  10. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    SomeAssemblyRequired, I told them that I would be shooting high powered rifles off of this shoulder, and expected a lifetime warranty. I didn't mind wearing the hardware from here on out, so I got the plate and screw treatment.:deal
    ND, I heard that chicks dig scars:wink:
  11. SomeAssemblyRequired

Oddometer:
    Buzztail, same treatment here --nice long scar, just a different surface repair. Should have pics of the nice titanium plate and eight screws on Friday when the stitches (actually "stitch" -- just one long one, apparently) come out.
  12. Sevoman

Sevoman Ever Vigilant

Oddometer:
    Buzztail;
    the "nerve block thing" is called an interscalene block. Its a WONDERFUL adjunct to general anesthesia for shoulder surgery. I placed one for a friend a couple of years ago after he broke his clavicle while skiinig in Colorado with his son. He returned to Tampa to have his surgery. He was feeling so good that when I stopped in to see him he was vacuuming the pool....with his injured wing!!! As I warned him...and will suggest to you, too...go easy with the injured arm. The nerve block is great...but will wear off...and then will hurt like a MF if you have "overdone" it while recuperating.

Good luck...and the "yes" will wipe off with alcohol :lol3

Sevoman
  13. NVarmr1

NVarmr1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    First off, hope you guys both heal up quick. No good in having to sit out a piece of the summer.

Secondly, I love this post. Makes a ton of sense to me. However that instinct to dodge anything thats not supposed to be on the pavement is going to be a tough one to overcome.

Maybe the ADV sticker guy can put out a line of critter specific decals to help keep score. I claim one small neighborhood dog that lost badly in his attempt to bite my TWs front tire. :grim RIP one ambitious furball.
  14. ke4yyq

ke4yyq Ham

Oddometer:
    I am trying to figure out how to post a freakin picture.
  15. ke4yyq

ke4yyq Ham

Oddometer:
  16. ke4yyq

ke4yyq Ham

Oddometer:
    Ok , that worked.

I did mine on July 5. Really screwed up a good weekend of riding.
  17. ke4yyq

ke4yyq Ham

Oddometer:
    Was going a little to fast on a FS road near Telico Tn. Bruised up my whole right side pretty good too. Broke the outer shell on my XD helmet also. The bike fared pretty good. Some minor damage but not bad or to expensive to repair.
  18. Buzztail

Oddometer:
    Sevoman, the interscalene block was done after the surgery. I was in recovery in the process of waking up when it was done. I did manage to get the writing off my shoulder. I had just taken the bandage off for the first time when I took the pic. Are you an anesthesiologist?
    My neck is still sore where it was done...

SomeAssemblyRequired
    I follow you now! I have no idea what all went into my repair, but I'm sure they'll let me know. How is your mobility so far?

ke4yyq,
    yeah, it did trash a good weekend, but I have gotten caught up on my reading:lol3

NVarmr1, Great Idea, but I need one for SAND:rofl
  19. ke4yyq

ke4yyq Ham

Oddometer:
    After the first couple of days, It was not too bad. I have had some trouble not doing more than the doc said I could do. I don`t want to screw it up anymore though. He said I would be out of work for 10 12 weeks:huh but the way it feels now I don`t think so:wink: . We will have to talk about the work thing in a couple of weeks. It has been 10 days since the surgery and I feel I could go back to work next week as long as I don`t get crazy. We will see next week. Supposed to get the staples out Wednesday, And I am really getting tired of TV.:D
  20. SomeAssemblyRequired

Oddometer:
    Geez, +1 on that. My "stitch" comes out on Fri and all is starting to feel pretty good at surgery +6 days. Long wait to the first ride, though; and it's summer in the Rockies at that. Bummer.