It was steeper than it looks in the photo - HELP STOP THE MADNESS!!

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by sandiegoland, Oct 11, 2006.

1. sandiegoland

sandiegoland Adventure Boy®

Oddometer:
    How many photos are pre-qualified with the statement - "it was a lot steeper than the photo does justice to"

Hey I am guilty as well...:cry

Let's analyze: (skip ahead to post #13 for the technical diagrams...:bueller)

[​IMG]
    28% grade. Bike heading uphill. Really. Looks flat. Why? Because I'm looking straight at the bike and in this perspective the front wheel is lower than the back. Hardly looks like the bike is climbing at all.

[​IMG]
    Now this pic is better. Looking just at the right it looks fairly flat, but in contrast you can see the change in how the road continues to climb on the left. Still, not very impressive.

[​IMG]
    Let's examine this decsent. A lot worse than it looks... blah, blah.

[​IMG]
    Now we just take a close up look from the downslope side. Certainly more dramatic, but could still be flat for all we know. Seeing a horizon helps some.

[​IMG]
    Now let's go to the side and see what we get. Hmmm, better. See the wheels are very apparently at different levels. Thus the brain sez... slope!!

[​IMG]
    Now if you are going to "emphacize" (i.e. rotate, manipulate, and cheat...) the photo to enhance the slope experience, make sure you crop out any trees, rocks, buildings, telephone poles or signs that might otherwise contradict your created reality.

[​IMG]
    Ooops. Yea. I never went down this...
  2. idahoskiguy

idahoskiguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks pretty nasty to me, but then I know the pictures do not do it justice. Just looking at the KTM guy spray roost all over the place is a good indicater of the difficulty,

Hope it wasn't hot.
  3. sandiegoland

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Looking down. So, so. There's some clue that it's rough, but not unusually steep.

[​IMG]
    Looking up. This reminds me how steep it was, but I don't think it would stand out as impressive to anyone who wasn't hiking it that day.

[​IMG]
    Again, a good memory for me, but no perspective or objects for a new viewer to scale how narrow the trail is.

[​IMG]
    Much better.
  4. kirkmoon

kirkmoon Making up for lost youth

Oddometer:
    Keep the camera perpendicular to gravity, not parallel to the ground, and the slope will be more accurately represented. This usually requires the use of a fairly wide angle lens.
  5. sandiegoland

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Now let's see it put into practice. Good representation of the hill. Zoomed in to emphacize relavent angles. Tires on different levels. Lot's of dust to show effort of previous riders. A horizon to show I'm not just shooting down at a flat spot from a hill. Pacifico in the Otay Mountains, CA.

[​IMG]
    Maybe not as steep as it "felt", but a photo more worthy of the drop than if I had just been shooting looking straight back up from the bottom of the hill. Trey650 on Heart Attack Hill, Anza-Borrego, CA.

[​IMG]
    Definitely steep. The moment captured. The wheelie from the sudden traction didn't hurt the effect either. This is surfphoto, and he was just getting it out of a hole for me, so spare him the ATGATT remarks. He's safer there than I would've been with any amount of gear on! :D

=====

Got more examples? Photographic tips? Every ADVrider needs to do their exploits justice... let's help them out here. Show us your photos that truly captured the steep climbs and decsents...
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It sure looks steep!! Great pics!! :thumb
  7. sandiegoland

Oddometer:
    Check out laughing gas's thread for a steep GS climb. :evil

Great stuff!!!
  8. inte

inte neophyte serendipity

Oddometer:
    Looks nasty enough to me... :eek1

Your area down there does have some steep stuff!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What is that trail you were on :ear ?
  9. LaOutbackTrail

LaOutbackTrail Certified Smartass

Oddometer:
    Hey SDL! When you going back to Costa Rica?
  10. DrunkWombat

DrunkWombat GS and Proud

Oddometer:
    When you take a photo of a slope (looking up or down) try getting closer to the ground. Standing up flattens it.

Its worth a try...
  11. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know, I'm going the wrong way, but hey, got the steepness :D

[​IMG]
  12. DantesDame

DantesDame Ridin' Fool Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    SDL - thanks! I've been trying to capture "just how steep it was!!!" but never seem to quite get there. Got to get the shot right so I can scare my uncle when he reads my ride reports :evil
  13. sandiegoland

Oddometer:
    Exactly on the first point (level), but you can get around on the second (wide angle) if the terrain cooperates and can give you an even vantage point further away (most compact digitals have limited wide angles). The wide angle will definitely open a whole lot more options if you've got it though. Check out some of Inte's Trials pics using a wide angle (wow).

[​IMG]
    This is the basics of how the camera will capture the front (green) and rear (orange) wheel. The positions of the wheels to each other is a clue to the eye about the slope. If the rear wheel is directly in line behind the front then there will be no apparent climb or descent depicted in the photo.

[​IMG]
    A perfect side view will be the most accurate, but slopes always "feel" steeper than they are, so an accurate photo might disappoint. If you have to capture the rider coming at you it is best to be level or higher. In the case where you don't have a wide angle lense, you can move as far to the side as possible, or find higher ground a little farther out. Going to an opposite facing slope works well too. You can either capture more of the hill, or use a telephoto. You won't have the dramatic angles of a wide angle lense, but the relation of the wheels will still be correct to represent the slope.

If you do shoot from a distance, or shoot from above the level of the rider, be sure to include the horizon as a reference. Otherwise it will just look like you are shooting down on the rider from a high vantage point (and they will look like the are on flat terrain):

[​IMG]
    See this photo I posted previously? Cropped this way without the horizon it looks like I could be on hill shooting down on a rider in the flats.

[​IMG]
    Now back to the original with the horizon. More of a clue now that I am low, looking up on a rider descending a hill.
  14. sandiegoland

Oddometer:
    We're doing some property investigations right now. I can PM you some assorted tracks but we won't publish it until everything is "squared up". There is an unresolved access issue regarding the bottom. The top is good, but somewhere below where we had trouble the "road" crosses a boundary.
  15. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  16. praveenkm

praveenkm Speed Demon

Oddometer:
    Wow looks like u gonna keep circling the hill :huh

ok a few :D

It was steaper than it looks
    [​IMG]

may be this will give a hint : ma buddy standing holding the cam perpendicular to the gravity.:1drink
    [​IMG]

bad angle to show the slope
    [​IMG]

coming down
    [​IMG]

Gettin there :)
    [​IMG]

Disclaimer: Redundent, yep i put all of em in other thread too. but suited the topic i think :1drink
  17. Dudsamoto

Dudsamoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is Jawbone Canyon, [​IMG]I kind of forgot my 11 y.o. son was behind on his xr100!:doh You can just see a spot in the upper third of the hill. I had to go back up and offer encouragment, but he made it!
  18. LaOutbackTrail

LaOutbackTrail Certified Smartass

Oddometer:
    Yeah. Well, I was just wondering... because I will be there December 17th.... for a few days
  19. sandiegoland

Oddometer:
    Those people are whack about X-mas. You'll see some decorations...:pope

Whatcha plannin' to do?
  20. robdogg

robdogg turnip truck driver Supporter

Oddometer:
    not my photo; stole it from a friend :D

but when I think of steep, I think of the Saddle Mt area of eastern Washington

the blue arrow points to someone attempting the climb, you can see the trail as it continues on up the hill and takes a sharp right and proceeds straight up the fall line

[​IMG]

This ain't even the biggest hill over there