It wasn't as bad as I'd imagined...

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by larryboy, Jan 25, 2018.

1. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Crashed the Triu mph 12 00 Ti ger last night on the way home from work. First crash on pavement in 31 years of street riding.

Dark, raining, right hand uphill sweeper that I take at 75 mph when dry. I'm a roll on roll off type of rider, familiar road ten miles from home, long straight approach, roll off like normal, my plan is to roll off until about 50 mph at the apex before I pick up the throttle again, but it jumped out from under me at 63 mph. I thought I could save it, but once I was full left lock and could see the rear tire to my left I knew it was over.

I tried to save it all the way to the ground, but once we were sliding I kicked free of the bike. I didn't notice any oncoming traffic on this two lane road, but we stayed in our lane, the bike and I. I waited until the sparks quit coming off the bike and figured I could get up...that was a mistake, I must have been doing 40 mph and slapped the pavement with my right hand when I came down again...ouch.

Slid for much longer than I would have thought, probably because it was wet. Finally stopped, shook out every thing that hurt and didn't feel like I had any broken bones so I jumped up and flapped my arms to stop the car that had been behind me from running over the bike. He whipped around me and turned his four ways, I knew I had some time before the next one came along, so I started up the road after the bike, it was quite aways up the road. About then the next couple of cars came up, so I did the jump up and down flap my arms thing again and they stopped. Got the bike upright and off the road, nice guy offered to help, but I and the bike seemed able to continue, so I let him take off while I regrouped.

Cause? I really don't know? Good tires, good road, not too much speed. The only thing I can think of is something on the roadway. There is a cross street right about where I lost control and maybe somebody pulled out from that road and spilled something, it was like ice, zero traction. I'll take a closer look at the road here in a minute on the way to work.

Gear. New Tourmaster black power ranger outfit, no damage. Pretty new Scorpion hel met, no scuffs. Redwing boots have a few new scuffs. Cor tech glo ves and some palm scuffs, I'll keep wearing them

Bike. Right Barkbuster took a good hit, but twisted up and I broke the bra ke lev er. Right crash bar saved the engine, need to repair or replace, ground 2/3 of the way through. Right front blinker lens broken, right fo g lig ht cov er mangled. Bra ke pe dal ground down a bit and the passenger peg took a grinding.

Me. Right ankle, left shin, right hand and lost some skin on my right wrist. The worst of it is that I got soaked because my jacket rode up higher than my pants.
    John2453 and Nixels like this.
  2. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    I'm sure the rain and wet road saved a bit. Slid instead of ground down.
    trc.rhubarb and larryboy like this.
  3. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Whew.

Whew!

Forces me to remember 2 wheels are inherently unstable. Glad that it wasn't as bad as you'd imagined. Must've been something on the road, that 1200 probably had a fair amount of engine braking going on to break loose like that. Let us know what you find.
    larryboy likes this.
  4. Dracula

Dracula afficionado Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, that sucks; must have been diesel or something similar, that stuff is scary as it can pass unobserved, especially on a wet, dark road. The great news is that you didn't get hurt badly and the bike only has small damage. I had a eerily similar experience years ago, except that it was dry and I hit a large patch of sand while leaned over at about 60 mph or so. I had more damage than you, my bike flipped and I got a cracked fibula, but other than pain and time spent to get back home, then my foot recovering for about a month, nothing major. ATGATT does work. And now I blow even in yogurt (slow way down when anything feels uncertain). I won't even mention about hitting a deer. After every such incident I feel like another one of my cat lives was used up, but I live to ride another day. That feeling is priceless.
    ACR and larryboy like this.
  5. dave6253

dave6253 GCBAR Explorer

Oddometer:
    Wait! Larryboy was wearing new gear? Glad to hear faded red is okay. :D

Real happy to hear you and the bike are pretty much ok.
  6. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    That's why I don't do all kinds of shifting, especially when wet, normally good rolling off in sixth on that corner.

I didn't see anything obvious in the road today, but at least 50,000 vehicles have been over it since last night.
    Nixels likes this.
  7. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
  8. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    That engine guard sure paid for itself. Good you and the bike got off so lightly.
    mttandem and larryboy like this.
  9. Nixels

Nixels Face fears - live life

Oddometer:
    You did well - not going off the levee road is impressive.

I've fallen and slid to a (supposed) stop, stood up and flat-faced immediately. At 16, I mostly fucked up my hands and didn't hit face-on, so I just got up again (when fully stopped) and dug gravel outta my hands, got up and rode off.

I'm glad you're ok & the gear did its job!

Now you can ride the piss outta the Triumph! :clap :clap :clap
    larryboy, waylongway and dave6253 like this.
  10. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was going to say,.....:dirtdogDoesn't count w /out pics......:zilla

Seriously though I am Stoked you are all right......:knary

That's how it goes sometimes, No rhyme or reason and man does that pavement come up quick.....Hey, :scratch where did my bike go...?

just ride it as is Bad Ass and all......:gdog

Happens to the best of us Rob.....:stupid
    dave6253, larryboy and Nixels like this.
  11. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Just got a good look at the corner with the GoldWing bright lights. The road is dry tonight and the spot where it snapped loose there is a patch about 10'x15' that is shiny compared to the rest of the road. It's in the left side of the lane where I would start to turn in as I aim for the apex. I don't notice it when the road is dry because I'm going considerably faster and when it's wet it looks like the rest of the lane.
  12. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A friend of mine who used to roadrace once told me, "If you ever go down and you're sliding, even if you think you've stopped sliding, do not try to get up right away. Count to 10 to yourself first. As you scrub off speed your perceptions change and while you may think you've stopped it's likely you've just slowed down to where it feels that way.This is where a lot of guys end up with even worse injuries like breaking an arm or leg." I've only had this happen once when I hit a deer but that advice stuck with me and I did as he suggested. Pretty sure that advice stopped me from twisting an ankle or worse.

Glad you're okay and able to post about it.
    Sal Pairadice, ausfahrt and larryboy like this.
  13. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    That's the stock crash bar, I started looking for replacements...Heed looks really good, but the stock one did such a good job I think I'll just get a replacement.
    RedMenace and Nixels like this.
  14. MarkC

MarkC 2006 KLR650

Oddometer:
    Nice to hear you made out alright Larry :thumb A testament to good riding gear and bike protection.:ricky
    larryboy likes this.
  15. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Here's the corner, was heading north on 160. Lost it near the northern most intersection, down around the 160 symbol, slid off the screen and uphill onto the levee.

Screenshot_20180126-150517.png
    Nixels and waylongway like this.
  16. waylongway

Oddometer:
    You can see the diff/pavment in the corner and it looks like thats where it starts to get tight....:viking......:p3rry.......:happay:happay

:hide
    Nixels and larryboy like this.
  17. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you can't ask for better than that. The trouble with high bars is they tend to bend in on impact, I've read about Heeds bending in on the AT the high bars bending wasn't a surprise, but the fact that the low engine guard bar bent as well was.
    larryboy likes this.
  18. dirty adventurer

dirty adventurer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow!!!! Good to hear it was only minimal damage to you and the bike, especially at that speed.

Heal up! Death Valley calls..........
    larryboy likes this.
  19. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Ok, I got a really good look at it yesterday in the sunlight. The pavement is polished due to heavy wear throughout the entire curve in the northbound lane. I've opened a roadway repair ticket with Caltrans, one, because I don't want it to happen to anybody else and two, I'm on this road every night and would rather not do it again. I'm hoping they at least take a grinder out there and rough up the surface and maybe repave it next summer.
    trumpet, bowyer2002, ArrinD and 2 others like this.
  20. waylongway

Oddometer:
    larryboy likes this.