It wasn't as bad as I'd imagined...

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by larryboy, Jan 25, 2018.

1. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Ordered some replacement parts, I'm not fixing every little thing because like Nixels says...now I get to beat the crap out of it. :evil

Crash bar was the most expensive at $155, ordered the fog light bracket, turn signal lens and the front brake lever, about $275 total to my door. The passenger peg and hanger took a beating, still works and I don't use it, I'll probably take both sides off. I'm sure glad I didn't have the aluminum bags on it at the time of the crash.
    Nixels, dave6253 and waylongway like this.
  2. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    I assume you've lived there for a long time but I've found a lot of 160 to be very slick when it's wet out because of all the agricultural traffic.
    In fact, Sacramento area as well... roads that are perfectly fine in the dry become a ballet course in the rain.
    I was just there last week in the rain and the left onto El Camino from 80 E looked fine but I went around it somewhat supermoto style.
    Mostly I stay away from 160 in the rain even though it's my preferred route to/from Sacramento.

I see you're running knobbies but I can't tell which.

Mitas E10's were very slick in the rain. I still run the front and it's tried to wash a few times but the Shinko 804/805 seems to have good wet grip. Neither helps on grease/oil/diesel though.

I'm glad you're ok and the bike is mostly good. Now that it's been a few days, how are you feeling?
    larryboy likes this.
  3. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    I'm a little beat up. The goose egg on my left shin flattened out and my right ankle is yellow and purple. Didn't notice it right away, but I must have driven my right shoulder into the pavement because I could barely lift my arm for a couple of days, getting better now.
    Nixels and trc.rhubarb like this.
  4. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, Kenda Big Blocks. I had planned to put the Trail Attacks back on, but I'm going to Death Valley in a few weeks so I left the Kenda's on it. I didn't really mention tires because I never really even leaned the thing at the point it jumped out. I was on the Triumph because my GoldWing needed a new rear tire.
    trc.rhubarb likes this.
  5. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well written. I know that road well. Your recount is a lesson to us all. Thanks.
    larryboy likes this.
  6. Max L

Max L Duct Tape

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing and, glad to hear you are all right.
    Yes ride it like a proud and, smarter warrior.
    Hope you have a great Death Vally trip.
    Either way, agin thanks for the detailed info..
    larryboy likes this.
  7. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    I got an answer from Caltrans, "Situation Acknowledged. Will be addressed."

:clap :clap

I'll keep you all posted as to what they do.
    Nixels and trc.rhubarb like this.
  8. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    Good on you for reporting it. :thumb

I just hope they don't think signs are cheaper and easier than road work. :dirtdog

[​IMG]
    larryboy likes this.
  9. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Awesome that they're going to check it out. Lots of 160 could be disastrous to slide off the roadway so hopefully it's a priority to them.
    I hope the swelling is starting to go down.
    larryboy likes this.
  10. Vrode

Vrode Testing...1..2...

Oddometer:
    Glad you're ok. Night riding when it's wet is spooky for this exact reason. Hopefully they can improve that section a little. Heal quick!
    larryboy likes this.
  11. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about this the other day and was reminded of something from my old wildland firefighter days...#2 on the 18 situations that shout watch out!, "In country not seen in daylight."

That tells me that I should occasionally ride my route in daylight or at the very least scout my 'in the dark homeward bound route' when I'm heading to work, take a look at the other lane as I ride.

Shoulder feels fairly normal, right wrist took quite a hit..I think it was when the barkbuster twisted up, the missing skin looks just like the barkbuster. Right ankle looks ugly, but doesn't hurt. The left shin that looked like the goose egg went away is actually just a big swollen leg and hurts to the touch, it's going to take quite some time to heal I think. I've never broken any bones and have been in some pretty violent dirt bike and mountain bike crashes.

Edit; I have noticed a little bit of gear damage that I didn't initially see. Right knee is scuffed and the right forearm lost the reflective piping. I was obviously trying to save it even when I was down already, I think I was pushing my knee and forearm into the ground. The armor did well in both areas as I don't have any bruising in either of those areas.
    JoeMongo, trc.rhubarb, Nixels and 2 others like this.
  12. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been riding in - or through - the Delta for many years. During the day all is fine but at night the roads are haunted with evil spirits. You'll not find out what the exact cause was. Trying too hard just makes the evil spirits angrier and vengeful.
    Scot66 and trc.rhubarb like this.
  13. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

Except I did, wet roadway, pavement polished like glass.
    Nixels likes this.
  14. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad it was not worse...Only times I’ve been down was oil on wet roads and slick center line markers.
    larryboy likes this.
  15. JoeMongo

JoeMongo ¿Por dónde? Supporter

Oddometer:
    SF Bay Area, not exactly dirt moto heaven
    I'm glad that you stayed out of the other lane, even if there wasn't a big rig full of Budweiser heading towards you.

It's not always the young squids that hit the asphalt. Sometimes it's us old and experienced doods that do so, regardless of how careful we are and how good we are at riding a moto well and also relatively safely.

Sometimes, it takes all of that skill and experience, and even a little luck, to get to be able to ride away afterwards and write about it. Thanks for writing about it. It gives the rest of us perspective and food for our own thoughts.
    j.
    trc.rhubarb and larryboy like this.
  16. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    I was a bit hesitant to post about it since face plant moves a bit slow and this story might be on the first page for a year, but if it helps us think a little more about road conditions, then that's ok.
    Matt fe2o3, JoeMongo and Nixels like this.
  17. Matt fe2o3

Matt fe2o3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Holy hoppin hookers! Glad you’re ok.

I have some spare gear but you’ll have to gain 100 pounds to fit into it.

Seriously though, lucky outcome.
    Nixels and larryboy like this.
  18. mminob

mminob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your crash details and close call with what could have been a real nightmare... a highside launch instead of a lowslide ... glad to hear your not hurt worse and get well soon brother !

I raced a couple rain races on my supermoto KTM 450 smr over the years and the worst crash I ever witnessed was some dude in front of me at Horsethief Mile track at Willow lose the rear tire at 70 mph and save it , only to get launched

over the bars and land so hard he was in a coma for a while from the impact ... yikes !

Some of the racers were very skilled in sliding all over the track with super slippery spots and having fun , while I was freaking out try not to crash ... yup , aliens ...

Kinda like this guy I found on the web...

By the way , super sticky rain tires help , but I have followed , and tried to catch a racer on knobbys in the rain , yup , skills :thumb

trc.rhubarb and larryboy like this.
  19. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Well, Caltrans has the pavement marked for repairs where I crashed. Totally impressed with them at this point, I still need to see what kind of a repair they do to the roadway.
    ultrasheen and HardWorkingDog like this.
  20. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    They repaired double the distance that I was hoping for, nice work Caltrans.

IMG_20180528_151743139_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg IMG_20180528_151753844.jpg
    twinrider, brucifer, Nixels and 2 others like this.