Italian Cars. old, new, ugly, exotic, anything from Italy

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by AceE, Mar 6, 2018.

1. AceE

AceE supermoco

Oddometer:
    Got Pasta?

was starting to derail the Lancia Stratos thread and i have lots of photos, so why not? im pretty sure there are more ADVriders than me that enjoy the Italians.

probably a few good stories involved with them to. it all started for me with this one:

'79 FIAT 131 Brava
    View attachment 1129818

sorry for the poor quality photo, this was shot back in the late '80s. I didnt even know this car was italian when i bought it, it was the cheapest car on a used car lot and i didnt have much money.

i test drove it and was pleasantly surprised and $800 later it was mine. didnt realize at the time that FIAT had completely left the USA market and that there was literally no official parts network or anything. this, before internet but as it turned out, a neat underground network of FixItAgainTonys was in the making.

some of the former FIAT dealers had auctioned off entire parts inventories for nearly nothing, parts were hard to come by so a local club developed a newsletter and left it at various mechanics shops for other stray FIAT owners to find.

I had no clue that FIAT was also court ordered to buy back their last cars sold in the USA but went on to learn alot more than that about them and other Italians. I'll share some of that here as I can if there is much interest.

now onto the good stuff:
    View attachment 1129819

shot this one at Road Atlanta in 2001 or 2 IIRC

share whatcha got here. nothing is off limits so long as its italian.
  2. UncleJ

UncleJ It's Happy Hour Somewhere

Oddometer:
    A supercharger and turbo charger? Why not?

[​IMG]
  3. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    IMG_0958.JPG IMG_0959.JPG IMG_0961.JPG IMG_1044.JPG

Sophia our 1978 Alfa Romeo Spider...
    My wife named her Sophia because she's Italian and has lots of curves...

[​IMG]
  4. Scooterdoodler

Scooterdoodler Long timer

Oddometer:
    Could there BE a cuter car than an old Fiat 500? I think not!
    2.jpg
  5. AceE

AceE supermoco

Oddometer:
    Purcell69 and flei like this.
  6. AceE

AceE supermoco

Oddometer:
    Purcell69 likes this.
  7. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
    Yep...

[​IMG]
  8. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:

My wife had a Brava when we met... We also had a 124 Spider at one time. I worked at an Alfa Dealer in the late 70s and 80s and had my own shop in the 90s.
  9. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
    Owned a 71 GTV, 76 GTV and a 75 Spider Veloce. I really miss the '71.
    aftCG likes this.
  10. AceE

AceE supermoco

Oddometer:
    some of the coolest A/A dragsters ive ever seen were made from those. ive never seen an original one with my own eyes. its probably worth a bit.

I got into the service and repairs bz in the late '90's, ive always been a mechanic since when my dad got tired of fixing my motos when I was a kid. he handed me a service manual and let me use his tools and said "here.. you fix it this time!" LOL

didnt really want to be a mechanic I really just wanted to ride! when the FIAT underground became a car club, one by one i was fixing lots of FIATs and decided to quit my real job.

even raced one for a while but it was more work and money to be competitive than bikes and as it turns out, wasnt as much fun as bikes either.
    View attachment 1130127

View attachment 1130128

View attachment 1130129

i still wrench on a select few Icars.
    fullmonte likes this.
  11. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    Our family car when I was a baby, I don't remember it. The story goes that we were stopped entering a forrestry road in bad weather, Model A's couldn't get through. We got to my uncles place in the Fiat no problems.

I used to work in a Fiat shop in 1980/81 - my favourite car...124 Sport Coupe.
  12. Scooterdoodler

Scooterdoodler Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was hoping to not have to play the 'Autobianchi Bianchina Cabriolet card' in this thread, but you leave me no choice, sir...prepare yourself for the ultimate in near-terminal Italian automotive cuteness....
    1965-autobianchi-bianchina-special-cabriolet-sport-jolly-like-fiat-500-1.JPG
  13. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum Supporter

Oddometer:
    My '79 Alfetta Sprint Veloce, now my son's.
    image.jpeg

My Nardi steering wheel. (Does that count?)

image.jpeg
    davyjones, plumer1kt, Scoozi and 6 others like this.
  14. gratefulJED

gratefulJED long strange tripper Supporter

Oddometer:
    I loved my old 124 sport, very cool car and chicks dug it, when it was running...! Interestingly enough my buddy has the L. Huracan and a lot of the parts say made in Germany on it, including the motor IIRC. He was up at Lake Sacacomie this week stretching her legs in "winter accademia"..not his pic but sure looks like fun![​IMG]
    davyjones, AceE and fullmonte like this.
  15. ddavidv

ddavidv Ignores Goats and Roadrunners

Oddometer:
    Low end Italian cars...pretty much the first dozen or so years of my driving life.
    Bought in 1985(?) for $450:
    [​IMG]
    Umpteen parts cars and a trip to the body shop later:
    [​IMG]
    I kept this car for around 20 years. Not used as a daily but very reliable because I learned how to maintain them properly. I eventually owned over 20 different Fiats in various states of wretchedness. Back then people would sometimes give them to you.
    Had this '72 850 Spider for awhile. Got it in a trade for an engine fire X1/9. Fun but not reliable.
    [​IMG]
    1973 124 Coupe I had as a daily driver for several years. The CC front end was never attractive and this color is what I call 'unfortunate'.
    [​IMG]
    I wound up working for an ex-Fiat dealer that still did parts and service in the 1990s. A guy came in and said he had received this car as payment for a debt. Knew nothing about it. I bought it for $1000. 1960 Fiat-OSCA.
    [​IMG]
    I had an impending wedding and we were house hunting so I flipped it to a dealer who exported it to Germany. Made a quick grand as I recall. Very difficult to get parts for and this one was a good ten footer but needed a full resto. I'm not sure it would win a drag race with the 850, lol.

Finally, I had a brief foray into the exotic Italian car world. I wanted a Fiat Dino coupe in the worst way and found one for sale in Hemmings. This would have been in the early 1990s. I paid something like $5500 for it. Complete and running but needed restored. Bad respray and WTF was someone thinking with those stripes?
    [​IMG]
    While you could get most of the parts to keep it going they were massively expensive (because Ferrari). I stored this thing for a decade, collected a few parts, found more dubious collision repairs the more I looked at it and eventually got rid of it. Because it was a car nobody knew WTF it was and being pre-internet the only way I could get rid of it was to trade it...for a '65 Skylark convertible. Do I wish I still had it? No. The constant terror of worrying what might happen to it sucked all the fun out of the experience. No more exotics for me.

I've been out of Italian cars for two decades now and have no desire to return. Mostly because I feel like I did all I wanted to do with them. Brief foray into British stuff (had a Mini) and several German cars which are easier to own and more rewarding to drive hard. I do still appreciate them all.

BTW the Fiat club back in the day, Fiat Lancia Unlimited, was a creation of mine and a few other serious Fiat geeks. It still exists today as Fiat Club America.
    davyjones, DC950, MJSfoto1956 and 5 others like this.
  16. Ever Onward

Ever Onward Older,Wiser, Smarter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Scoozi and AceE like this.
  17. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. fullmonte

fullmonte Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer:
    For some strange reason I have a difficult time imagining this parked in the showroom of Foreign Cars Italia in Greensboro.:jack Back in the mid 90's I remember the time Peter Krause showed up to instruct at a trackday weekend in a ratty primer gray 124. He passed everybody out there in the instructor group like they were going backwards.:nod He had that old rag dialed.
  19. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is mine....I actually have two of these.

upload_2018-3-7_10-13-6.png
  20. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really like the new alfa romeos from FCA. alfa-romeo-giulia-coupe-body.jpg
    RedRocket and Import like this.