Italian Cars. old, new, ugly, exotic, anything from Italy

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by AceE, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Solaros1

Solaros1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alfa Romeo Sprint Veloce

upload_2019-9-18_17-15-24.png

upload_2019-9-18_17-15-49.png
    zzzak likes this.
  2. Solaros1

Solaros1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Siata coupe

upload_2019-9-18_17-20-49.png

upload_2019-9-18_17-21-14.png
    waybill likes this.
  3. Solaros1

Solaros1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ex- Niki Lauda Ferrari - flanked by a 917 to its left, a D-type Jaguar, A Ford GT-40 and a McLaren M8 to its right. If Laguna Seca isn't one of the best places on earth for a gear head I don't know what is.

upload_2019-9-18_17-32-18.png
    zzzak, scot_douglas and waybill like this.
  4. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target

Oddometer:
    So, some of you may know that I have been going to Laguna Seca for the historic races for about 35 years. I have missed a few years but, I have been to the track many times and Im usually taking pictures.

You can check out a couple of my threads here and here if you like for more pics but ill post a few below for the sake of the thread.

since I had kids, I havent had a chance to take any more pictures but I already have literally thousands, maybe tens of thousands of pictures from the track.

here are a few

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] \

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    ive never known one.

You need to make a trip out for it soon. One of the best parts of the weekend is sitting at the end of Alvarado street the night of the big auction, watching all the other gear heads drive by, and then watching the multimillion dollar hardware roll onto the auction block

[​IMG]
  6. AceE

AceE supermoco

Oddometer:
    dont think Ive ever seen or heard of the ATS, thanks for posting it. (and the others OMG!) will check out your threads.

I plan to fix the missing photos in the OP oneday (long story) if I ever have the time. If I ever go that far west, Laguna Seca will be the main reason for sure. there is also a 'race car pic' thread here: https://advrider.com/f/threads/race-car-pic.1162892/ if you havnt seen it that some of us have been posting and bench racing in.

those are some great photos eat pasta, solaris1, and skunkwizard! those from riverside in the racecar pic one were nice to see. first time I saw a race on TV from there I could tell that was a fun track too. shame its gone. thanks again, good to see so many sportscar photos here and elsewhere on ADV.
  7. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    Thanks man - and yes you need to get out to Laguna for car week. If you do, come in on Thursday night as there is lots going on Friday and dont even bother with any of the concourses. IMHO once you've seen a GT-350 or 250GTO sliding at 120 mph, you'll never be interested in garage queens ever again.
  8. AceE

AceE supermoco

Oddometer:

yw, but what gives you the impression Im interested in garage queens? my ultimate plan is doing the sliding there lol, and some good ole wheelies ;-)
  9. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    People get all starry eyed about Pebble Beach. I dont get it.

:csm

IMHO things should be used for what they were designed, not to see how perfect they can be. Like those people who buy those Stradivarius violins and put them in glass cases, never allow them to be played until the pores of the wood close and then they sound like ass.

and yes, some sliding you should do!! Try out the Rossi line!

[​IMG]
    waybill likes this.
  10. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    This was down at my local paint guy's shop today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  11. Nico

Nico colorful

Oddometer:
    Oh my. Dead sexy.
  12. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    That would do

:nod
  13. AceE

AceE supermoco

Oddometer:
    that Daytona looks immaculate! no sign of overspray dust anywhere. even the GM EGR valve (common to all US spec Italians of this era) looks to never have been upto to full temp.

BTW, that is the homoligation version that allowed FIAT to enter the WRC and then go on to win three world championships with the 131s

they also made a supercharged Abarth 131 version badged 'Volumetrico', a local guy/customer has the only one ever sold with a factory sunroof. I'll post up some pics next time I have them handy.
  14. MudWalker

MudWalker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do miss my 131 BRAVA...……..1979 2 liter 2-door in dark blue. It even had air conditioning and it worked! Damn that was a good car and it was very reliable.
  15. Welshman

Welshman B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    An aquaintance back in the late 1980's had a bunch of Zagato's from Aston Martins, Lancias and Fiat's (when there were big classy Fiats) very very pretty.
  16. AceE

AceE supermoco

Oddometer:
    my first one made it 214,000 miles before I totaled it, the engine is now in an ultra rare '78 1/2 spider (one of the crossover models that were all painted purple) thats still going strong. yeah, great A/Cs but heavy as they get too (cast iron compressors)

also had a dark blue one (almost black) that is still around. they were great drivers for sure, I'd like to find another one but they are damn near extinct around here anymore.

saw a Zagato bodied FIAT 8V at pebble beach on the live stream this year. that was cool.
  17. High Hope

High Hope World's Best Dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    @waybill , @Nico and @eatpasta Wow! OK, true confession time: I was negotiating to buy an Allard J2 that I had found by happenstance. The deal ultimately fell through, but the car belonged to a wealthy, nasty, aged industrialist. While walking around his yard and garage, I came across a '70 Shelby GT500 under a tarp outside, and a Daytona. Red, in a garage, dusty and covered in shit. The industrialist had picked up his new Ferrari at Le Mans, at the running of the 24-Hours (1970?), where he was also a guest of Mr. Ferrari. This guy was old, wealthy, and really nasty, and had absolutely no reason to lie.

I had brought along an acquaintance (and wealthy amateur vintage racer) whose eyes lit up. He wanted the Ferrari and the price was $90,000. The Mustang Shelby? "That's an animal," the guy said, and he wanted $50,000 for it and the same for the Allard. I didn't make a move on the other two, but did offer $30,000 for the Allard. He said he'd think about and call me.

Weeks go by and he calls and simply says "I accept your offer." Ohhh Shiiiit moment. WTF was I thinking about spending $30,000 on a primitive, Cadillac-powered open roadster when I had a 4-yr old son and a 911? On the other hand, and at the time (pre-2008 crash,) I could buy it, and it would pay for my son's college tuition in 15 years. I called my acquaintance and hemmed and hawed. He said Look, I'll give you a $4,000 finders fee and I'll buy it.

Guess what? Not only did the acquaintance sneak the Allard past me, but he bought the other two cars as well, at an undisclosed price. I'll kick myself forever over that moment's hesitation.

The end. :fpalm
  18. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never trust anyone when objects of desire are involved. Ever.
    JimVonBaden, waybill and High Hope like this.
  19. MudWalker

MudWalker Long timer

Oddometer:
    The engine from mine lasted two cars as well. At 175,000 it made a good car out of a nice white 131 wagon of the same year with a hole in the block from freezing. I sold that car in the end but, two years later the owner came back and asked if I had any idea why it was running rough. I knew right away to check the plug wires and sure enough they were rubbing on the underside of the hood so back in the mix it went just like I left it. Anyway, my 2-door was that deep blue almost black...…...at night it was black. Nicest car color I've seen in blue.
  20. Nico

Nico colorful

Oddometer:
    Where is the "What the Hell, Chris" button, because I ain't hitting like for that. :eek7