Italian Cars. old, new, ugly, exotic, anything from Italy

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by AceE, Mar 6, 2018.

1. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    You want bizarre Alfas?

How about a Sprint Speciale

alfa-romeo-giulia-sprint-speciale-1965-3.jpg 1963_AlfaRomeo_GiuliaSprintSpeciale2.jpg

If that's not enough a Disco Volante...

Alfa-Romeo-C52-Disco-Volante-Coupe-19265.jpg

Perhaps open top?

alfa-romeo-disco-volante-13.jpg
    wmfleet2, MickeyDee, c-zulu and 5 others like this.
  2. AceE

AceE supermoco

Oddometer:
    that last photo I posted was just an experiment LOL

its one I resto-modded for a guy down in FL. this is the original:
    View attachment 1131125 its actually a '79 but I had a pininfarina parts car that we sourced the doors and other pinin specific bits to update his '79

this is another pretty nice '82 2000 I had:
    View attachment 1131129
    one of my 'trademarks' is that i use the chin spoiler off a Brava on the spiders. it allows more air to the front brakes but also looks better IMO

View attachment 1131132

View attachment 1131134

I like the alfas but they tend to go overboard with styling and such as evidenced by SnoDrtRiders posts (that last one is awesome though!) and the FIATs 'K.I.S.S.' principle or you could say 'function over fashion', I find much more favorable but I know Im in the minority with that.

my fav Alfa is the Milanos in DTR trim. they were a sight to behold on the tracks with the right drivers! but the Alfas for the most part are just too 'sexy' and kinda fragile because of that IMO at least, I'd really hate to drive one the way Ive driven many FIATs

GrassRoots Motorsports mag did a shoot out between one of my spiders and one of the Spruell's way back. we autocrossed them and took them out on Road Atlanta for the day and the pininfarina 2000 came out ahead in their mag review. I was very pleased because that cars initial 'shake down' was very limited due to time constraints and so the drive to the track for this -was- the shake down. and it was snowing on my way there LOL!

TS had been fine tuning that Alfa Spider for years too.
  3. AceE

AceE supermoco

Oddometer:
    Red is OK to me but I prefer other colors too, the italians did use some pretty ugly colors though. red is by far the most popular by far for new paint jobs on these cars. i try my best to talk folks out of changing colors unless its one of those really ugly ones they came with but some folks insist one repainting perfectly good ones to red!

a classic example is this one:

View attachment 1131161

thats just dew on the hood, this car had nearly perfect original paint but the owner insisted changing it to this:

View attachment 1131162

it turned out nice but "It was black for cryin' out loud"!

View attachment 1131164
    PUI205 and jkam like this.
  4. ddavidv

ddavidv Ignores Goats and Roadrunners

Oddometer:
    The ex-Fiat dealer I worked at was also an Alfa dealer. The 164 came out while I was there so that will give you the time period.
    I drove a lot of Alfas as a result and while I know they were more 'sophisticated' than the Fiats I never did understand the price premium. Much more expensive to fix with not much better performance.
    Unless it had the V-6. Then it was a much different story.
    The 164 was a tremendous car. We also sold Saabs and it was way better than the 9000 but nobody cared. Hardly anyone knew what Alfa-Romeo was back then and while they looked nice enough they weren't stylish like the new ones today are. The Milano was just a mess styling-wise but a good car under the skin. By then the Spider was so antiquated and just dressed up like an old actress with lots of Botox injections.

Someone once told me that the French and the Italians never understood the American car market. Fiat certainly didn't (the Strada??). Alfa-Romeo didn't. I'm still not sure Fiat does today (and they now own Alfa I believe).

The Fiat faithful say the Miata-with-a-Fiat-engine 124 of today is an Italian car but I am less sure. What was great about the Fiats of old was the sports cars were all derivatives of a common sedan model. They were all Italian. Now all cars are a mish-mash of multiple continents and manufacturers. The entire landscape has changed. I used to lust over Ferraris when I was growing up but the modern ones barely rate a glance. :dunno
    AceE likes this.
  5. ddavidv

ddavidv Ignores Goats and Roadrunners

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    So...flat hood, honeycomb grille with 71--> side markers. Probably 1608. X1/9 wheels. Bumper guards on upside down. Euro turn signal lenses. At least they picked the proper red and not that awful dull maroon that came later.
  6. AceE

AceE supermoco

Oddometer:
    '71/'72 was kinda like the '78/'79 no telling to be sure how it came, including the engines, i think thats when the oddball 1592cc showed up as well. here is one i picked up for the wheels:

View attachment 1131193

I thought they were the coolest ever since they look like the hotwheels toys HAHa! but as it turns out these wheels were homemade and the bolt holes were not even close to being centered and the casting was so porous they wouldnt hold air so they were junk! and it had five of them.. and this car is where i discovered the really rare tail lights that wrapped slightly around the side of the car too.

I still have two 1592 engines, the other one from this coupe (same owner as the blk/red in question)

View attachment 1131200

IIRC the black to red one was at that show with us too. you probably 'judged' that day aswell it ;-)
  7. AceE

AceE supermoco

Oddometer:
  8. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    That pic of the Maserati MC12 Corsa is our race team at Ferrari of Houston, Risi Competizione. We were one of the first group of Maserati dealers that were launched through most of Ferrari dealerships in 2002. Ferrari took over the management of the Maserati brand a year or so before the launch of the previous generation Quattroporte in 2005, and they asked our team to campaign the MC12 in the American LeMans series GT1 class. It was the first Maserati to race in the states in 40 years, and really important for Maserati to position the brand. I think that was the 2005 season, between the Ferrari 360GT and F430GT (which was hugely successful, with 2 LeMans class wins, as well as Sebring and multiple Petit LeMans wins, and a couple of US championships in GT class). The MC12 wore bodywork that was determined to be illegal by IMSA, but it was allowed to race but couldn't earn championship points. I recall we had a couple of podiums that year, and the car was pretty competitive, but there were a lot of cooks in the kitchen and we never really had free reign to do what we do best.

The MC12 absolutely ruled in Europe though, and was still competitive for years even though it didn't get all that much development. I still think it was one of the most gorgeous race cars ever run. We had that car on display at Ferrari of Houston for a number of years after we raced it, and it was always a joy to be around. The car was a effectively an Enzo with steel brakes, slightly less output, and gorgeous bodywork (prettier than the Enzo IMO). Ironically the first Maserati race car to run in decades was basically an Enzo, and it probably won more races than anything to wear the prancing horse. I'm sure I've got a bunch of pics of that car and I'll try to dig them up and post them.

dlearl476 and AceE like this.
  9. Josephvman

Oddometer:
    The guy smoking the cigarette behind the car was Peter Kaczmar, aka PK. PK was a super-intense hard-drinking (is there any other kind?) englishman who was well-known and respected in ALMS. The teams back then would vote on the best tech in ALMS, which was pretty prestigious and also had a pretty nice cash payout. PK won that one season (maybe 2007?) and split the money with the other techs on our team. He bought an R1100S Boxer Cup and we rode together a few times but I think he just liked tinkering with it and keeping it perfect more than riding. He could be a pretty wild guy, and was banned by a number of bars near the shop. He got out of racing, moved to the northeast and was working on an international competition by one of the big insurance companies to build a high mpg vehicle, and his group ended up winning it. He was quite the character who sadly passed away a couple of year ago.

AceE likes this.
  10. AceE

AceE supermoco

Oddometer:

hey! thanks for chiming in with that info. it was great seeing that car out there! Maserati did come out and even had a very brief driving school at the track. still have one of my most prized race banners from them and those days.

I always had a sneaking suspicion that it was originally the F50 GT but never confirmed it. supposedly, this is the only F50GT to exist:

View attachment 1131232

can you confirm that? and what was the engine?

I have lots more photos of the Maserati MC12. (and the F50GT actually on track too) plan to start a new thread for all the racing photos Ive shot over the years soon. will post more of it there.
  11. jkam

jkam Nomadic Man

Oddometer:
    We had a 131 set up for SCCA rally races out west. It didn't last long and was too expensive to keep going.

[​IMG]
    AceE likes this.
  12. Josephvman

Oddometer:
    There were a few F50GT's, 3 if I recall correctly. One of them here in the states had a pretty bad crash in the early 2000's, was sent back to Maranello for a complete rebuild, and on it's maiden outing at the Monterey Historics a couple of years later it had another pretty bad crash. That's probably the car in your pic. My guess is that the engine is tuned to similar state as it is in the 333SP.

AceE likes this.
  13. jkam

jkam Nomadic Man

Oddometer:
    One of our mechanics loved the 850. He had all kinds of ways to hod rod one out.
    1000 cc engine with twin Weber carbs. Suspension modded, it handled and hauled ass surprisingly well.
    The 850 sport coupe is my favorite version.
    [​IMG]
  14. jkam

jkam Nomadic Man

Oddometer:
    And who remembers Cromodoro Wheels?
    They had some really nice wheels for these cars.
    A huge upgrade from the steel wheels with hubcaps.
    [​IMG]
    MagyarMan likes this.
  15. AceE

AceE supermoco

Oddometer:
    Cromodora was original equipment on many of the Italians, including the spider 2000 from '82 on:

View attachment 1131245

the ones on this car were called 'turbo alloys' but were later used on all the 2000s, they could be either cromodora or speedline. both were OEM suppliers. the speedlines have a noticeably sharper casting ( less rounded edges). both had their names in the face of the casting so easy to identify them.
  16. AceE

AceE supermoco

Oddometer:
  17. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    I just put an E3 on my Miata

[​IMG]
  18. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    We have one of these 2 door single seat Lamborghini's in the shop at the moment...

WP_20180308_13_21_50_Pro.jpg
  19. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Before I got old I looked real hard at one of those....between it and an E-Type....both those cars are are pure sex.
  20. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    I remember reading about this in Road & Track years ago, Jo Bonnier's Alfa Disco Volante with Zagato body.
    [​IMG]
    SCTrailrider and AceE like this.