Italian Cars. old, new, ugly, exotic, anything from Italy

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by AceE, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Cowboy

Cowboy Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer:
    How true! I'm 5'11', and I really preferred driving my X with the top off. When I re-uphosltered the seats I took a bit of cushion out of the seat bottoms, replacing the padding with thinner but stiffer foam, and enjoyed driving it much more.

This whole thread is making me miss my Fiat driving days.

DSC05787.jpg
    DSC05524.jpg
    Scoozi, SCTrailrider and AceE like this.
  2. Cowboy

Cowboy Ceteris non Paribus

Oddometer:
    Twenty years ago, I "met" Scott Phelps on the Mirafiori forum, and always admired his X1/9 and matching trailer. If I remember correctly, he had it set up to haul his "competition tires" to autocross events. How may cars do you see competing in autocross with trailer hitches? :scratch

Scott is an inmate here at ADV now too, but I can't remember his username. I'm pretty sure he hasn't posted in this thread yet.

[​IMG]

And Scott's old license plates. He auto-crossed a Yugo too, which has the same Fiat 128 engine/tranny as the X1/9, only mounted up front like the 128.

index.jpg
    AceE likes this.
  3. AceE

AceE supermoco

Oddometer:
    it was a red headed stepchild in some ways but have a look at what they are worth today. it became one of the most sought after classics. shared V6 engines as the FIAT Dinos.

and I think the current Ferrari F1 car is a V6.

wow, I love the Scorpion/Montecarlos too LOL had the extra power the X/19 needed and also great handling. not as great as the X/19 due to the extra weight but both very capable machines when dialed in and in their elements.

Ive seen that one at one of the FLU events. your old FIATs look good too. really cool how many I-car guys are on here!
  4. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    It looked even better after I chucked the 5 MPH Grocery Cart Defending Bumpers, and at 17 it was something other than a 396 Chevy with a Slush Box that my peers were driving! :rofl
  5. AceE

AceE supermoco

Oddometer:
  6. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only color a Dino should be.

72-74Ferrari_Dino_246GTS_1.jpg
    Scoozi, wmfleet2, chazbird and 2 others like this.
  7. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    _DSC0500_zpsd5fa5756.jpg
    Scoozi likes this.
  8. AceE

AceE supermoco

Oddometer:
  9. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    There was a classic version of one of these in town many years ago. The guy had kept skinny wheels and tires on the front and added wide wheels and meats on the rear (of his FWD car), and he had a huge tunnel scoop on the hood, a little lift to make it look like a gasser, nice paint. I'm sure it fooled quite a few folks.
    Southest US Thumper likes this.
  10. AceE

AceE supermoco

Oddometer:
  11. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider I've been lost here before...

Oddometer:
    Brings back memories... Or is it nightmares?

When I was at the Alfa dealer I had the "pleasure" of trying to get a set of Webers tuned on a Scorpion. Some one had installed (or was sold) way too much carb for the engine.
    It did get me out of the shop for hours quite a bit taking it up on the highway and doing plug checks and jetting changes. Never got it 100% but it was driveable and the owner was happy.
  12. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    Maserati 3500 GT. I really thought this was a beautiful car. Saw one in the Harrah Museum that belonged to Carroll O'Conner.
    [​IMG]
    Scoozi, MickeyDee, anotherguy and 2 others like this.
  13. AceE

AceE supermoco

Oddometer:
    Ive updated three scorpions to FI now using the later model Lancia OEM FI, its tight but doable. Ive heard guys have also used the spider FI system and it may be easier (no firewall mods) but the Lancia system seems a better option to me anyway.

man.. doing plug chops! LOL thats old school. dont mis it a bit either now that we have O2 sensors available to work with. even with carbs I just weld a bung into the exhaust. I do it on the bikes now too. saves a whole lot of time and frustration.

I think in one more generation dialing in weber carbs and will be a lost art. most dealerships wont touch them now. not to mention multiple distributors each with multiple breaker points.
  14. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    Anybody remember the TransAm Alfas?
    [​IMG]
    fullmonte, MagyarMan and AceE like this.
  15. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    Brag time here, not even a humble brag. (told elsewhere in ADVRIDER) In 1982 friend and I went to an estate sale in Monticeito, CA. (Santa Barbara, where he was living and I hanging out) and scored two of these, one a full Abarth. Not pretty, but both runners. Also got two vintage scooters, a Vespa and a Lambretta. In door three was some boxes and a small crate. Vintage clothes in the boxes and a fresh Fiat 600 engine in the crate!

We had showed up a day early, and started sniffing around the garage. Was told we could have everything in it for xxx if we hauled it away. All the above was in it, along with some worthless junk. The xxx amount was $300. I kept the Lambretta for a year or two. Friend kept the Fiats for quite a few years. He petitioned the city to allow him to use the Fiats as taxi cabs because "Santa Barbara was a Mediterranean style city" and there already was a guy using a pimp mobile Lincoln MkIII as a taxi. He was turned down. The Abarth wasn't exactly fast, but nonetheless tremendous fun, albeit scary on the highway amongst normal sized vehicles.

That friend was a master at fast talking deal making. We also, some years earlier, scored a nice Fiat 128 for $50. It only needed a new distributor cap. Fun car. We took it on a celebratory surf trip to Mexico and totaled it by driving it at night ( against my advice) into a cow.

Those are most of my Italian car stories, save my brother having a '68 Fiat 124 Sport, pre 5 speed.
    AceE, fullmonte and High Country Herb like this.
  16. chazbird

chazbird Long timer

Oddometer:
    Named after his beloved son. Not a Ferrari?
    Best sounding V6 ever. Wonderful.
    Saw one for sale in LA in the late '70's or maybe '80 for $7000. Better than Microsoft stock.
    AceE likes this.
  17. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think the prettiest Daytona I ever saw was a dark blue metallic spider with tan leather interior. It was at the old SLC Ferrari/Fiat/British Leyland/Lotus dealer where my family bought our Austin America and Fiat 850 spider one day when I was up there for something, service or parts.
  18. dlearl476

Oddometer:
  19. dlearl476

Oddometer:
    image.jpeg

The mechanic who worked on our car in Denver bought a set of 15" for a customer's GTV6 and got screwed because they were the Alfetta 4X98 bolt pattern that Alfa used to use. With the GTV6 they went to more common 4X100 so I got a great deal on them. It came with the Ronal A1 "phone dial" 14" factory alloy option. I never liked them on the Guigaro cars, but they look great on an Alfetta Sport Sedan.
    image.jpeg
    SnoDrtRider likes this.
  20. dlearl476

Oddometer:
    One of the top 5 most beautiful cars to ever comes out of Maranello, IMO. Years ago there was a crazy Italian guy that came to BYU from Italy and ended up being the best (of very few) Italian car mechanics in my town. He had a blue/tan Fiat Dino that he bought for nothing because the kid who brought it up from California to school overheated it and warped the heads. Not as pretty as a Dino by Ferrari, but a beautiful Italian semi-Exotic anyway.

Max's Fiat was this color combo, but a coupe.

image.jpeg
    Scoozi and MickeyDee like this.