It's Going to get Worse

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by bodine003, Sep 4, 2018.

1. IronButt70

IronButt70 You don't have to be crazy to do this but it helps

Oddometer:
    Do parts scattered about the living room count?:D
    nk14zp and Tinker1980 like this.
  2. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bodine's T-160.JPG Sold this one last summer. Spent more time inside than outside or on the road!!! all orig. and just over 10k on the speed-o-meter!!
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  3. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    I don't bother looking when driving the wife's Honda. I can see everything better with the camera than with mirrors. I do look side to side, outside the view of any mirrors, to make sure no one is coming those directions, but the rear view camera is definitely the best goodie in cars. Parallel parking is a breeze and would be even easier if I had a front camera I could see how close I am there. Only weird thing, they have right side camera view, you can see traffic on that side and how close to a curb, but not on the left side where it would cover blind spots.

For me the best thing they've done is the rear view/side view camera. They just should do it both sides. I like the self stop deal, especially if they would make it unable to be tampered with for distance back. Seems in normal setting you can't tailgate another car/truck. It's a shame it can't see motorcycles, which also means no bicycles or pedestrians now either.

The thing is none of that stuff will work adequately if someone pulls out too abruptly or a cyclist/pedestrian steps out and there isn't adequate braking distance.

I will also throw in that if I could ride a bus the 12 miles to work for reasonable money I'd do it. Straight and boring route I'd rather read a book. I don't ride because it is boring crap and I'd rather listen to NPR and sip my coffee. A bus or train would just make it perfect if it was reasonable cost/week or month.
  4. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    ...and a "tiny" WR250R turbo can outwheely anything that either brand produces. It'd probably also be smoother on the slab at 70MPH too.
  5. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    All motorcycle licensing should be done on a kickstart and carb'd bike.
    Bultaco206 and nk14zp like this.
  6. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right. And what's odd about my car is that the proximity sensors that help with the park assist and the rear cross-traffic alert can pick up something as small as a dog. So if I were a total moron, I might assume all the systems in the car are equally sensitive and go on my merry way picking lint out of my navel while the adaptive cruise control pancakes every cyclist we come up behind.

I'm pretty open minded to new technology, but I really think this stuff is a lot further from being figured out than we're led to believe.
    nk14zp likes this.
  7. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Flag in the window...
  8. millican

millican Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The thing about modern cars and cameras: they're designed in a way that they need a camera to make up for the loss of visibility. If they weren't all shaped like a doorstop, we'd still be able to see around us.
    lostonwheels, Tall Man and nk14zp like this.
  9. rockitcity

rockitcity Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yeah, saw that too. Wrong flag to back up a Triumph, but the avatar has it right.

Saw a documentary about Lynrd Skynrd the other night. They used to proudly display the Stars and Bars at their concerts before it got hijacked by the extreme alt-right. Surviving member even made a comment that they didn't consider it any kind of a political statement, just a symbol of their southern roots. Times have changed.

But hey, cool living room bike, and no oil drips!

Oops, just noticed the drip pan. Gotta save Momma's carpet.
  10. Tall Man

Tall Man Priest, Temple of Syrinx

Oddometer:
    CSM is down and to the left, boys. The flag isn't your concern here, nor anyone else's.
    canoeguy likes this.
  11. Desce

Desce Finished Pig

Oddometer:
    Some curtain you have there.
  12. Desce

Desce Finished Pig

Oddometer:
    Nah, it's racist and a concern to me.
    Bar None likes this.
  13. bodine003

bodine003 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here concern yourself with this. My racist wife going for an CJ& Bonny.JPG CJ& Bonny.JPG ABATE toy run on her 01 Bonny
    Tall Man, canoeguy and William Wolfen like this.
  14. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Having lived in the south all my life I can honestly say I never saw this flag used in a racist context except by a very few idiots. It was always more of a southern pride thing.

Now it’s never been my style personally but I know until the left decided to make it an issue it never was and I for one don’t allow people to change the narrative just to suit their needs.

Nor do I give two shits about the opinions of idiots trying to divide our country by applying labels to others to suit their needs while they burn the American flag.

Though I have never in my life desired to display it in any manner the people trying to change the narrative to suit their agenda has just about pushed me to do so.

Yeah, politics!
  15. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well this WAS a decent thread about the future of motorcycles.......
    daveinva likes this.
  16. markk53

Oddometer:
    The tough part about the stars and bars is the fact that it is a cool looking flag. I doubt it would be near as popular if it was something like this:

upload_2018-9-8_19-38-54.png

Kyrugyzstan. Picture that flopping behind your rusty 4x4!
  17. markk53

Oddometer:
    I was going to say I can't wait for my steer by wire motorcycle! :p3rry:jack
  18. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    I don't know how some of you survive the outside world.
    Mouse and Mofo Flake like this.
  19. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    You need to get with the times...............

The "outside world" doesn't count anymore, reality is whatever gets the most hits on the internet.

That's why 750's are considered small now, and not having ABS is akin to suicide.
  20. SocalRob

SocalRob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Adaptive cruise control on my wife’s Subaru works great and does see motos.