It's Going to get Worse

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by bodine003, Sep 4, 2018.

1. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    You know what I think about? I am a big fan of vintage bikes and have a few myself. Because of that I wonder if there will be classic bikes from this era. As electronics degrade and tech moves on will there ever be someone still riding my GSA 50 years from now? Could there be a Cannonball Run featuring todays bikes a hundred years from now? All mechanical bikes can be rebuilt and even have parts machined if need be but how many shops are there that can produce all the sensors and electronics that a KTM 1290 will need 50-60 years from now.

That's not what this thread is about and honestly 50 years from now it won't matter to me as I will likely be dead. But I still wonder if we aren't unintentionally depriving something from future gear heads.
  2. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    There's still a pretty vibrant Commodore 64 community though - probably more of them in use now than some defunct brands of motorcycle! And there's a huge DIY culture around keeping them running and practically useful too. Just ask these guys in Poland: https://gizmodo.com/this-old-ass-commodore-64-is-still-being-used-to-run-an-1787196319
  3. BetterLateThanNever

BetterLateThanNever Inactive User

Oddometer:
  4. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    C'mon man, I am an Atari 2600 guy. Thumb cramps for life yo!
    BetterLateThanNever likes this.
  5. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    That's the biggest wad of crap ever.

With 3D metal printing and multi-axis machines, virtually every part on those vintage bikes can be replicated. Try that with a black box! I remember Jay Leno holding some weird oblong tank from one of his steamers commenting that this was such a rare unobtanium part... until it was able to be CAD designed, 3D printed.

Seems even race cars and bikes are being restored and even raced because those one off parts are easy to make now.
  6. William Wolfen

William Wolfen DR Guy

Oddometer:
    Yep. It's really an amazing set of technologies. Mechanical things will be around for a long time to come, I think.
  7. canoeguy

canoeguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Damn good point honestly. Shamefully I will admit that it never entered my mind to print motorcycle parts.
  8. BetterLateThanNever

Oddometer:
    Because where's the fun in being civil.

If you go back and follow the thread without quite so much red mist, you'll see that this was exactly my effing point: Some folks were waxing lyrical about carburetors, and I was simply suggesting that the way to keep riding long into the future is to also embrace technology. I can't see how one might distinguish between using a computer to print a part (which I'm very familiar with) and using a computer to reproduce an obsolete chip or rewrite a piece of engine control software. Your 3D printing vs. black box point is a spectacular false binary... one day, one way or another, computers will be how we fix bikes.

A reasonable person would see this as common ground.
  9. BetterLateThanNever

Oddometer:
    No doubt. And I'm sure we all look forward to the day when 3D printers are small enough to carry in a tank bag. You know, for those 'in the field' repairs.
  10. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades...

Oddometer:
    Sorry, just calling it as it is. I've said some wads of crap before and been called out too. There is a difference between saying something is a wad and making insults about someone.

Thing was you weren't reasonable. Otherwise you would have pointed out that now virtually every component can be made for about any bike. Problem with black boxes is knowing what's inside and being able to afford to deal with them. Right now they are still very proprietary and unless you have the right software and it has the capability for overwriting, you'd be SOL. But the real fact is carb parts are so plentiful that it will be a heck of a long time before parts would be a major issue, ignitions with points are stupid simple and can be modified to fit car points in many cases. The first high performance ignitions for Z1s were a car point replacement set up for the Kawasaki stuff, the name Dyna Rev is sticking with me.

If the governments of the world get too involved you are going to have a hard time dealing with any electronics relating to cars/bikes. They will be fixed. To replace them you'd have to know exactly what is inside electronically and duplicate it. That may or may not be easy since it is all micro computers. not quite like a slide or a set of points.

But at the end of the day, anything can be dealt with and that was really why I said what I said. You insinuated that old bikes were hard to deal with. For the most part they are not.

Yep, the mini computer will be needed to help the guys with the newer tech bikes as they age out, to deal with the software problems that crop up and a hand full of electronic bits to build a new box if needed. It's a bold new world out there.
  11. BetterLateThanNever

Oddometer:
    No, actually there isn't. Saying you disagree with something or that you believe it's wrong is part of debate. Characterizing it perjoratively as "crap" is uncivil.

And because you have this anger thing and are determined to believe that we are on opposite sides of some invented divide, I am not interested in anything else you have to say.