It's my first time on another continent

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by nikvuksa, Jul 11, 2018.

1. nikvuksa

nikvuksa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

We left Goreme in about 09.30 am. From Goreme to Konya we had abut 250km straight road, almost without any turn or curve. After that from Konya to Seydisehir and further we are getting into beautifull mountains, and expect about 200km of nice curves ahead, and for end we expect 100km road next to sea.

We ride on national road with more speed than we should. Speed limit is 82kmh (yes, 82, pretty weird), so we hoped someone will gave us signal for policy if there will be.

By the way, we didn't have any "situations" with police, only once, they stopped us from Istanbul to Ankara, and asked us to turn off headlights, but we explained we can't, they are automatic, and after that they released us.

Soon, we got on great mountain road, where we enjoyed in a lot of curves. By sign next to road, you can see how big is snow during winter, altough it is less than 100km from sea coast.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. nikvuksa

nikvuksa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Next break was on first gas station that we found. From 1800m elevation we got on 400m and only dozens km from road that goes next to sea. In that moment I notice that rear wheel and brake squeals weird. I did change all brake pads before journey, but we made already more than 2000km. :hmmmmm

From moment that we got on D400 road, we are riding in line. Unbeliavble traffic although we are 100km from Antalya. As much as we were getting closer to Antalya, it is bigger traffic and proportionally higher heat.

[​IMG]

Those last 100km, we've driven about 2 and a half hours. When we saw hotel sign, we were very very happy! One of our main goals we made. Felt totally proud but also exhausted from traffic and heat. :clap
    So far, hottest day on journey.

Istanbul welcomed us with free roads, despite our fear of being trapped in chaos and traffic. On the other hand Antalya was unpleasant surprise spending hours stuck in little movement mode.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Asap we finished with check in. Dinner starts in one hour, so shower and unpacking are priority. Next 6 days, for first time in our lives we will be in "all inclusive" hotel. Vacation may begin... :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    roadcapDen and DavidM1 like this.
  3. nikvuksa

nikvuksa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    07-11.06.2018.

07-11th day, vacation in Antalya. About 3km. :-)

About those 5 days, there is not so much to talk about. As I said earlier, it was our first time in "all inclusive" hotel, so there were no cons for us, only pros. :D In hotel we had everything we could imagine, pool, gym, turkish bath (hamam), private beach, a lot of animations during day and evening too. About food, we were thrilled, everything was soooo delicious. Breakfast, snacks, lunch, snacks, dinner, late dinner, open bar whole day, restaurant next to pool, restaurant on the beach. Finally we had beer, a lot of beer. :beer

Anyway, those 6 days, I think we've eaten and drunk more than we've paid for everything. :smile6
  4. nikvuksa

nikvuksa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. nikvuksa

nikvuksa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    yamalama likes this.
  6. nikvuksa

nikvuksa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    By the way, Antalya is city with more than milion people, more correct 1.3 milion, and in season with tourists more than 2 milions. One night we went to downtown, center of city, but it was so high humidity and so hot that we returned to hotel asap.

We spent days with entertainment on the beach and pool. Next to pool there was big slide, which we used like we've never used it in our lifes before. [​IMG]

Also, every night was something different on program. Acrobats, columbian dancers, turkish evening, karaoke's and many more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Translation is: "Look at those fools!" :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Two days before leaving Antalya we went to take full tank of gas, to clean our bikes, check oil, liquids etc. One more day of vacation, and from day after tomorrow going to Pamukkale and Kusadasi. :muutt

SteveTheLocal and yamalama like this.
  7. nikvuksa

nikvuksa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    12th, 12.06.2018.

Planned route for 12th day: Antalya - Pamukkale - Kusadasi. About 430 km.

Before we left hotel, first we thanked to all staff, which was more than pleasant and hospitality during our staying. From hotel we went on Antalya ringroad to city Denizli, close to famous Pamukkale.After only 10km, I felt some weird movement in rear wheel. Than it started to increasing more and more... [​IMG] First thought was that is flat tyre but it suppose it is not, than I thought that someone knock down motorcycle during night and something broke as two days before everything was perfect...

We stopped on national road by side of road and noticed that lip seal was out, so meaning it was bearing... All that squealing last 500km was from bearing! So, we left by side of the road my side cases, my wife and Ivana. They will wait us there while we slowly go back to city to find some service and repair it. It happened in about 09am. 30kmh we were driving back to first gas station, where I get someones internet hotspot and use it to google few services. Took few coordinates and we went further. Everyone was saying to us to go directly to "Dadas Yamaha", but it was the most far away, most than 30km, and my rear wheel was in more and more bigger trouble.

[​IMG]

That was the place, where we left our wifes and side cases to wait for us.

One service rejected us, than another and another, so on the end, we had only Dadas as option. There was police control on the way. I asked them to call service just to be sure that they can fix it. But...policemen of course doesn't know one word of english... Somehow I took phone from him, and asked directly service guy, who knows english. He just said: "You have to come here, we don't go out. What ever it is, we will fix it, don't worry."

Okey, than we know what to do, easily, slowly go to Dadas. Around 11.30am we finally arrived. As we are foreigns on the trip, we had priority than to local bikes that were broken.

Diagnose was that is not only bearing. All iron balls left from bearing and made damage on axle. As they explained, it won't be expensive, just it will take time. Service guy went with my rear wheel. I gave him small tip, just to take my serious, and that we need to go further as soon as possible...

Now to pick up the girls. Aleksandar left to wait in service, and I took taxi to go about 35km in one direction and go back to wait all together. I was in panic will I find them there, are they okey. They had only two bottles of water...

[​IMG]

Small shelter that they found

But thank to God, everything was okey. :clap

We went back to service, where we got information and promise it will be repaired till end of day, about 6 pm. So we had two options:

1) to re-schedule all our hotels for one day and to find one more sleep over in Antalya,
    2) to go direct to Kusadasi when we get fixed bike.

We decided for option number 2. We will ride directly those 430 km to Kusadasi. That means that we will come during night there, but won't lose one day. Now we have to wait and to spend about 4-5 hours in service (or outside on 40+ degrees :D)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. nikvuksa

nikvuksa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As that is Yamaha service, they are also selling brand new bikes. We were spending time in looking for new Yamaha models, MT09, MT09 Tracer, new Tracer 2018 and Tracer GT 2018, Super Tenere XTZ1200.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. nikvuksa

nikvuksa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    While we are waiting for wheel to be repaired, decided to go to take some lunch. Looking for any kind of snack, but as it is Ramadan, and Muslims doesn't eat during day, it is very hard to find it in that part of city. It is too hot to walk, also doesn't want to go far away from service. We entered in one shop asked for information where we can eat. He started to explaining to us, without knowing one word of English. After one minute of talking, when he realized that we don't understand nothing, he showed us to wait. He closed his shop, put us in brand new BMW and drove us to city center and showed us where we can eat. That is example how people are Turskih! How much kind, hospitality, friendly! He closed his shop, paused his job to bring us where to eat! Thank him very much one more time for that!!! [​IMG]

Getting back to service where bike was ready soon. Everything was checked and we are ready soon to go. Service was totally 300 liras, about 55-60 eur. I gave them like present few stickers of our trip, and get from them sticker for front fender and for topcase. It is all small part of our adventure, that makes it rememberable and not forgettable!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway, don't forget to replace your bearings before big trip! :D

And now, full throttle to Kusadasi, it was already passed 5pm! :muutt
  10. nikvuksa

nikvuksa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Those 430-440 km we rode with only 2 breaks for coffee. Road condition again more than perfect, and landscapes wonderful!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you thought that on some national road are too many traffic lights, just fyi that the most traffic lights are from Denizli to Kusadasi. [​IMG] Literally, on each 5km traffic light, and on 80% of them it is red light. True, it is less than half minute, but enough to stop you and to annoys. All time from Denizli we were going through many cities, towns. At first we thought it's some villages, but it looked like they have from 50-200.000 citizens.

[​IMG]
  11. nikvuksa

nikvuksa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We arrived in Kusadasi about midnight, exausted and very hungry, after total 510 km that day. For me, it was hardest day of journey, because of whole day, problem, heat, exhausting ride and broke on my bike, and also that we skipped to visit Pamukkale.

[​IMG]
  12. nikvuksa

nikvuksa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    13th day, 13.06.2018.

Planned route for 13th day: Kusadasi - Efes - Troy - Canakkale. About 440 km.

We were expecting the warmest day on our journey. Aware of that, we planned to be in Ephesus (ancient city) as soon as possible so we won't be there at hottest part of day. As we arrived last night very late, and very late went to sleep, getting up that morning very tired.

About 09.30 am we are on parking lot of ancient city. We totally changed our clothes, as in Ephesus, all that marble is very hot, so to try to be as fresh as possible. All equipment (helmet, jackets, trousers, boots) we left on motorcycle, hopefully no one will be interested into. :D

[​IMG]
  13. nikvuksa

nikvuksa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We paid tickets 40 TL by person, about 8 euros, and we took local guide for 30 eur, who will make tour more interesting to us.
    City is now about 10km from sea, and in ancient time it was city with harbour. It was one of most urban cities from that time. There have been lived about 250.000 people in one moment. It had 3rd biggest library in the world, which was restaurated 1975. They had canalisation, fresh water, city lights, sidewalks, amphitheater for 24.000 people and many other things! When you walk on streets of this city, you really feel special and think about how people used to live 2000 years earlier! Everything is astonishing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. nikvuksa

nikvuksa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nika - goddess of victory. As you know trademark Nike got name by Nika, and also it had same shape (if you can see it) .

[​IMG]

Public toilet - or that our guide would say, first internet caffe (chat room) :D.

[​IMG]

Mark of left women foot, which was symbol that bordel was in that street from left side of it.

[​IMG]

Now, where you see green meadow, sometimes was harbour and sea.

roadcapDen likes this.
  15. nikvuksa

nikvuksa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After visiting Ephesus, we continued through Izmir and national road next to beautifull Aegean sea to next destination, historic place, famous, Troy. As it was too hot that day, we were making a lot of breaks for refreshment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we supposed and knew earlier, didn't expect from Troy too much. So we decided just to check it, and not to waste too much time. So it was, we just took photo of "famous horse" and move further to Canakkale.

[​IMG]

As we were so hungry, decided first to take something to eat, and later to go to hotel. Find place next to sea, better say, next to Dardanelles where we was waiting for meal almost 45 minutes, but we were sooooo hungry so we would go in that moment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. nikvuksa

nikvuksa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That was the best "tavuk doner" that we've tried in Turkey so far. No one from us didn't get idea to take photo of it, we were sooo much hungry.
    Last night in Turkey we spent on walking and exploring famous city from World War I, Canakkale. Very very nice, small city. Very lifeful, with so many restaurants on the street with traditional turkish cuisine and delights.

We went to harbour to check informations about ferry for tomorrow morning. We took photo of it, so will easily to decide about time of ferry.

[​IMG]
    yamalama and DavidM1 like this.
  17. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Absolutely outstanding! You've turned me on to Turkey. The food looks exquisite and the architecture and scenery marvellous. I'm literally exploring Turkish restaurants here in town.

More please. :clap
    DavidM1 likes this.
  18. DavidM1

DavidM1 Resting

Oddometer:
    Yes, it's a great country for adventure riding. I keep going back for more (3 times on my own bike and 7 fly-rides in the last 25 years).
    RedDogAlberta likes this.
  19. nikvuksa

nikvuksa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is great country and great people. It was first time I were in Turkey, and definitely I'll be back in few years!
  20. nikvuksa

nikvuksa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    14th day, 14.06.2018.

Planned route for 14th day: Canakkale - Kavala. About 340 km.

We arrived in Harbour for departure in 08.30am. For four of us, and two motorcycles we paid tickets only 20TL!! Yes, only 20 turkish liras or about 3.5 euros!! Crossing easily the Dardanelles, second strait on this journey. First was Bosphorus now Dardanelles. With arriving on another coast we are officially back in Europe. :-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]