Its official. Cycle Canada is dead.

Discussion in 'Canada' started by PeterTrocewicz, Sep 26, 2019.

1. PeterTrocewicz

PeterTrocewicz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At least as far as print goes. The digital edition will continue. That sucks. I've been a subscriber since 1980. I wondered why I haven't seen one in a while.
    gpfan likes this.
  2. smoky

smoky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve been reading the digital version for years. Then last year Zineo stopped carrying them. I couldn’t find another supplier, and an email to CC went unanswered.

Magazines can never seem to handle subscription issues.
  3. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Reaver made me do it...

Oddometer:
    Who? What? :dunno

Don’t think they will be missed by many. Or even a few...
    CCitis, Dan Diego and R100PDave like this.
  4. Lycan1

Lycan1 Grizzly herder

Oddometer:
    There was a time, especially in Winter that I looked forward to the arrival of my Cycle Canada in the mailbox. It was more relevant, and well written and less biased than any of its American counterparts.

Budget cuts and loss of the better contributors hurt the magazine. Pandering to advertiser's more and finally, David Booth made me cancel my subscription. Sad to see it go downhill and die. I won't miss what it had become.
  5. devildogg

devildogg Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^+1 after 25 + years I let my subscription lapse a couple of years, once Max burns and the gang exited it went down hill
    gpfan and borscht zanetti like this.
  6. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been meaning to post this and just never.....
    I used to read cycle mags in Walmart and Books-a-Million while dear wife browsed. Not anymore! The cycle mags are all but fogotten in those two outlets. Oh, there are tons of four-wheel, four wheeler, custom and hot-rod magazines but nearly zero two-wheels. One of the realities of the digital age is the seemingly endless supply of whatever interests you on the internet! Forums, like this one, provide real information from real people with wide backgrounds and experiences that can be both valuable and amuzing! None of the writers have some editor directing the "tone" of their words. When someone on a forum says something sucks, for the most part it may be either an author's misconception or it really sucks! Either way, the reader will get closer to the truth here than any print magazine.
    16VGTIDave and borderlinebob like this.
  7. PeterTrocewicz

Oddometer:
    To me the downhiĺ slide started when they changed to the glossy format. They started losing the insanity of the newsprint days. But yeah, that slide was getting pretty fast the last few years. The pipeburn stuff was just crap. I still tried to support them though.
  8. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And to me, the (late) Bruce Reeve days was the high point.
    Still, sad to lose a once iconic piece of Canadiana. (Iconic to motorcyclists anyhow).
    I'll miss Michael Uhlarik's column. Not much else.
    Do you have a link to your source for the magazine's death notice?
  9. PeterTrocewicz

Oddometer:
    Here it is: http://canadamotoguide.com/2019/09/26/cycle-canada-ceases-print-publication/
    Like some others I didn't receive the email notification.
    gpfan likes this.
  10. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that link.

I followed this to an obituary for Bruce Reeve. Realise I feel a lot more saddened by Bruce's passing than the magazine's.
    gpfan likes this.
  11. PeterTrocewicz

Oddometer:
  12. GreatWhiteNorth

GreatWhiteNorth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Winterpeg - site of flatness beyond belief
    Thank you for posting that up. I bought the last print issue a while back, was thinking then already probably the last, sadly was right. Hopefully the digital on-line version carries on. It was available thru Zinio on our public library system, which appears now to be called RBdigital eMagazines.

Edit... just checked our Wpg public library RBdigital eMagazine offerings, and unfortunately it doesn't include a Cycle Canada subscription.
  13. sturgeon

sturgeon Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not like the download security is airtight :lol3
    GreatWhiteNorth likes this.
  14. 150miler

150miler n00b

Oddometer:
    When Bruce left it went south, then along came Neil and it was worth reading again. Then they railroaded him out and down it went again. The final nail in the coffin was David Booth. What a pompous ass. That made the decision not to renew my subscription pretty easy. I've got 4 decades of CC sitting is boxes if anyone is interested.
    Lycan1 likes this.
  15. spuh

spuh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dammmmmn! That sounds tempting. Is that from the beginning of CC as a newsprint rag to the oughts type of 4 decades? I've been keeping my copies since I settled down from a nomadic life in the nineties; before that I had no way to keep any. Think I might like to have a complete history of the run of CC.
    And I wonder how it will fare as an online only effort if it's still the dynamic duo of Booth plus a little Thornton?
  16. borscht zanetti

borscht zanetti Pura Vida ! ... eh?

Oddometer:
    Lycan1 likes this.
  17. 150miler

150miler n00b

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately I tossed year 1 to early '78 prior to a move. These are from late '78 to 2018.
  18. Schmittenhymer

Schmittenhymer Adventure Tourer

Oddometer:
    Booth is now gone.
  19. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Actually found the last issue ( I think) sitting in a Save-On Foods today. Took me 5 minutes to remember how annoying Booth is to read. And same goes for the self professed bike designer of the world, Michael Ulekuuok, or whatever his name is.
    Kind of sad to see, but this is a business wise trend, the printed word on paper. All the newspapers are dieing, partially because their news is indeed mostly inaccurate and partisan, nobody buys that crap. Funny thing is with motorcycle mags, there are a couple still doing ok, of note, Adventure Motorcycle Rider. That’s a good one!
    gpfan likes this.
  20. Schmittenhymer

Schmittenhymer Adventure Tourer

Oddometer:
    MotorcycleMojo in print is still available, problem is Booth went there!