It's Sheetiron time again.

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by mootsuno, Mar 11, 2009.

1. SenorPeligro

SenorPeligro Proper Naughty

Oddometer:
    I thought that was you :wave

I still have plenty of oil. :thumb

Mongaux shared some XR-Zen with me and I'm much more chilled out about the whole deal. I need to get the horrendous sound coming from the e-start checked out and I'll get them to check into the smoking at the same time. Maybe it just needs to be broken in more...? :lol3

Chris, I hope you stop swelling up soon. :eek1
  2. skwidd

skwidd where does this lead?

Oddometer:
  3. skwidd

skwidd where does this lead?

Oddometer:
    Nice work stand to fix another flat

[​IMG]
  4. icngacsn

icngacsn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was my first and I had a blast. Posted my experience here:
    http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73846&page=6
  5. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    It was my first Sheetiron and I had a blast! Some of the hard splits certainly were challenging on a bike bike! FUN FUN FUN! Sure was a long drive from LA though :eek1 .

[​IMG]
  6. Creech

Creech Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Note to self: 2 up on the hard splits on a KTM950ADV really IS hard.

Note to OMC: Let's talk about this term "Moderate", shall we? (see roll chart, day 2, section 5... ) :)

What a great ride though! Thanks to Jerry from OMC for the tube. Kids, remember to check the freshness of your spares or they may just completely fall apart when you need them.

Other than the near heat stroke at Cow Mountain, the flat tire, dead battery and getting DFL at 9:30pm, We had a great ride. I'm hoping Louv will post the pix my pillion shot soon, since it was his camera and all...
  7. slackmeyer

slackmeyer Don't mean sheeit. .

Oddometer:
    That was mighty brave of you to work out all your DRZ problems in one fell swoop. I figure you're good for another few years with no problems now. I'll find my camera this evening and show everybody what we were doing at 10 AM saturday morning.
  8. scottmac

scottmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here are a few pics before my camera took a dump.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ADV slum camp on Friday night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]:evil :rofl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Regrouping at the top of the hill climb on the 2nd hard section

[​IMG]

Sunrise over Stonyford

[​IMG]
  9. skag

skag No Monkeys

Oddometer:

Good job getting through. Was the GS with you? We passed you on the first steep downhill, your passenger was picking herself up.
  10. dura-ace

dura-ace east bay moto scum

Oddometer:
    You said you wanted a " challenge "
    Mad Dog Dale
  11. Louv

Louv nerd with knobbies

Oddometer:
    Creech & Shoshana (KTM 950 Adv), Reed (KLR), and I (R12GSAdv) rode together through the hard splits in sections #2 & 3 on Saturday, and then Hard split #2 up Cow Mountain on Sunday. We barely made it off Cow (Pie) Mountain. F, it was hot.

Remind me never to let Creech navigate again.

Here's how my day progressed:
    Ride. Fall. Rest. Drink (water).
    Ride. Fall. Rest. Drink (more water).
    Ride. Fall. Rest. Drink (even more water).
    Ride. Fall. Rest. Drink (more, and more water).
    Ride. Fall. Rest. Drink (more water... how come I still don't need to pee?).
    ...you get the picture? Ok, now remember I'm on a GS-Adv. It weighs 4 times what I do. So half the times I fell, I needed help to get the pig up off the ground.

Shoshana (Creech's pillion, and the photog for all but this one) took these. Major props to her for the photos, and for being a passenger on those damn hard splits.
    [​IMG]

Some random single track... I'm sure I had fallen and friends (old and new) helped me pick up Pluto (the GS).
    [​IMG]

Are we going the right way? Can we turn around and go home? No? OK, let's press on through.
    [​IMG]

This was us, just prior to the hard splits. Imagine how bad we looked AFTERWARDS!
    [​IMG]

Note to self: Next time, bring a smaller bike. Or a crane. Thank goodness my friends were there... again... to help me.
    [​IMG]

Don't stop. Dont' fall. Don't stop. Don't fall. Don't stop... crap. At least I didn't fall. Discovery: Tech 10 boots are NOT waterproof. Just sayin'.
    [​IMG]

Of course Greg and Reed made it through with no trouble.
    [​IMG]

FYYFF. Yeah. n00b on big pig makes for entertaining attempt a jumping tiny log. Result. Dirt nap. Again. Don't try to count them... I lost count, and I was there.
    [​IMG]

Harder stuff after missing a turn in the hard stuff.
    [​IMG]

Bad afternoon for Greg. A dead battery AND a flat tire. The helper now gets the help he has repeatedly earned.
    [​IMG]

I have a ton more (of Shoshana's) photos, all proving that a GS Adventure, a 2-Up KTM 950, and a KLR can make it through the hard splits. If they help each other. And they allocate more time. East splits, sure we coulda gone that way. But this was an Adventure, not a milk run. Nothing went as planned. That's OK.

I dropped the GS over a dozen times. I broke several hundred dollars worth of pricey german engineering bits and pieces... but the bike kept going... and going... and doing amazing feats of climbing up (and down) things I didn't think I was capable. Yeah, I broke off part of my shifter lever, but hey it wasn't like I needed to get out of first gear on the single track. And then, the 2 hour (street iron) ride from before Nice to Stonyford? 4th gear. The whole way. Good BMW, you get an extra donut.

My apologies to anyone who felt I slowed them. I kept to the right, and tried to let y'all go by, YFF.

Huge thanks to Creech, Reed and Shoshana for picking me and my bike up numerous times. And for an excellent all-around expereince. They might even invite me back next year. Maybe. If I promise to ride a Trail 70.

And thanks to the ADV Krew at the Brewing Co for making me feel welcome. Have a round of lemonade on me!
    :freaky

Don
  12. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    Impressive... that stuff was tough on an SE.
  13. Super Suz

Super Suz N00b with B00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you to everyone who came to the Sheetiron this year!

I hope everyone had a good time and that the ride was challenging for those who wanted it to be. Looking at these photos, I think the route scout did alright.

Thanks for your feedback in this thread too. I'll pass it along to the rest of the OMC.

We were indeed able to pull off a movie/slide show night on Fri.
    Thanks to Larryboy for a fantastic slideshow of his ten day trip to Death Valley on his Husky. Lots of people were around checking that out and many were asking, "who is this guy" and "That guy has nuts" and stuff like that. To me, that's a sign that they liked it.

Did everyone get their photo button? If not, then let me know and I'll see what I can do. I'll need a PM with your rider number, color of helmet and upper body clothing (jacket or jersey), brand and model number of your bike, and any other tell-tale signs you can give me. We had a few unidentifiable rider number buttons and we want to try to get them to the owner. The photos came out nice and crisp this year, thanks to digital and Bungee staying up till three a.m. working on them in the hotel room.

Did you get a chance to dip into the resevoir?
    [​IMG]
    Just turn left from the campground and you'll be there in about 10 minutes

Hope everyone had a chance to see the schwagg / door-prize goods. We had some great stuff from really cool sponsors. I hope someone here won something they liked and could use.
    [​IMG]

And now about the fireworks....

The fire chief came by on Friday night. Although fireworks are fun, it turns out that it was not at all cool in Stoneyford. The OMC was seriously scolded.

Please, folks, no more fireworks in Stoneyford. We may already be in serious trouble for this year.

Suz
  14. Cpt. Ron

Cpt. Ron Advrider #128

Oddometer:
    Welcome to my neck of the woods, TT. If you learn to ride big bikes in stuff like this, you can ride just about anywhere.

To all of you on the big bikes, good job. I was amazed at what those bikes rode (and passed my BRP) last year.

Anybody got GPS tracks?
  15. dura-ace

dura-ace east bay moto scum

Oddometer:
    I got Jen from werkstatt to ride alot of the hard splits sat. with me, Both of us on 950s, THAT CHICK ROCKS !!!!!
  16. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    I couldn't get my DRZ together in time, but my wife, Zina, volunteered her bike, and gave up her spot so I could go. Do I have a great wife or what??!!

We arrived late-ish Friday night and camped at the Rodeo grounds.

(sorry, for some reason I can't get links to the photos to work from my site, so here are links to a photo-hosting site with pix)

http://alanzina.zenfolio.com/p449415988

So, yeah, I rode an 11-year-old, 36k mile, DR650 with a freakin' purple saddle with fringe and chrome skull conchos. It ran generally without a beat, which is more than I can say for my bike, although it did blubber a little with the altitude.

I took the easy splits for a couple reasons -- not the least of which is the DR doesn't have a bash plate, and even on the easy splits, my 265 lbs bottomed out the suspension hard a couple times. And, honestly, I didn't want to be so cocky and try the hard stuff on my first West-coast rally.

In the morning, I paired up with brothers Steve on a DRZ, and Mark (or Mike?) on a KTM who were really enjoying themselves, and took a good attitude toward the event --- it's not a race, we're just here for fun, and we have to go to work on Monday. It was a good group, and enjoyable company.

Zina had the idea to meet me at Lake Pillsbury for lunch...... driving my Camaro. I didn't realize what a crazy idea it was until I got to the lake and discovered that there were no paved roads leading there. We did eventually meet and did actually have lunch. My wife had quite the adventure getting there from Stony Ford -- apparently, my Zumo directed her through several cattle ranges and on some single track that resulted in a dead end. Thanks Garmin, I'll send the bill for buffing the scratches out my car to HQ in Ireland. Zina said the quote of the day was from a ranger who said "Sooooo, just how did you get that fine autombile all the way to Lake Pillsbury?"

After lunch, I met up with Louv on the GS1200, Greg & Shoshana on the KTM 950, and Reed on the KLR at a grocery store where we were all guzzling drinks trying cool off and re-hydrate. I was welcomed when I asked if I could ride along with their group. Louv decided to take the bailout due to the heat.

Literally IN the infamous mud pit, someone tried to pass Greg & Shoshana and wound up crashing due to over-enthusiastic use of the throttle, right in front of the big KTM, which tipped over and stalled. I remember thinking "Hey, this guy just nailed THREE squirrel line items AND a 5-point bonus for an attempted roosting of a girl."

After a tow to the crest of the hill (involving an unfortunate incident with the meat and two veg) and the subsequent re-starting of the 950, the rest of the trip to Ft. Bragg was enjoyable and uneventful.

I opted to bail on the second day because my legs were pretty rubbery and sore, and I didn't think I'd enjoy the ride back nearly as much.

I had a fantastic time! Huge thanks to OMC, and thanks to the riders that let me tag along with them. I believe I'm going to be a regular at this event! Uh, and maybe I'll hit the mountain bike so I can do both days next time.
  17. traveltoad

traveltoad Aaron S

Oddometer:
    I think so... I have not uploaded them yet.
  18. mongox

mongox ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer:
    Great ride, awesome views. Thank you Suzs and all the OMC folks, you guys put on another rockin event. I even won a pair of Rock Straps. And when I got home, my new Fieldshear adv. jacket that I won at warp was waiting for me. Seems to be my year to win. You folks that did the hard splits on the huge bikes, :thumb , I did most on the xrl and it was a challenge on it. We didn't do the hard splits on Cow mt. because it was so freakin hot, I think we should have because as all those that took the "easy Way" through found out how much the road sucked, can you say, how come my front tire won't hold, that was like riding on ball bearings, but it was still fun.
  19. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

I heard that quite a bit too, that's a good sign!! :thumb Thanks for the chance to show it to a motorcycle crowd!! I tried to stay awake with all of you daywalkers to see my own movie, but I hit the wall at 36 hours without sleep...that and the tequila at the saloon and I was done for before dark.:lol3

We had a ball!!!

[​IMG]

:huh:

[​IMG]

We didn't take a lot of pictures, but I've got enough to put a slideshow together with some trail video action...later...sleep now.:eyes
  20. SenorPeligro

SenorPeligro Proper Naughty

Oddometer:
    Run into some bother with the locals? :lol3

It was neat to watch your DV adventure nicely spliced. :thumb

Crazy mofo. :deal