"I've Been Everywhere, Man" Living the song on two wheels.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by swedstal, Jun 5, 2017.

1. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard Wingmom! Happy to see you here!
    swedstal likes this.
  2. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome wingmom! I’ve enjoyed your recent comments. Hope you get to jump in and travel with Brett on some future parts of his epic journey.
    swedstal likes this.
  3. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Wingmom on the tarmac :clap:clap:clap
    swedstal likes this.
  4. interceptor1972

interceptor1972 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome aboard Wingmom!! Glad to have you on board!

And so glad to see you're back on the road Brett!!! Just got caught back up again! You certainly have a gift - in so many areas (writing, music, art, just to name a few) and I can only imagine the amount of influence and inspiration you've been to so many people. And not just the ones you've met in person. Amazing work! Can't wait to see the rest of your chapter. Stay shining!!
    swedstal likes this.
  5. Mofrid

Mofrid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the asylum!!
    swedstal likes this.
  6. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got to host Brett and Betty in Davenport and I wanted to share my thoughts on their visit. I didn't post right away because I wanted to let Brett (and Betty) tell their story first, and because I don't write nearly as good as Brett does.

If you don't want to take the time to read this post, I'll sum it up for you like this:

To Brett, a stranger is just a friend he hasn't met yet.

I had never met Brett before our visit (except for a few texts and emails in the days and weeks before his visit). But when he got off his bike and we met for the first time, it was as if we were old friends who hadn’t seen each other for a while (at least that’s how it was for me). Maybe it’s because I have been reading his posts for so long, I feel like I already knew him in some way.

In case you are wondering, it's true, Brett and his mom are some of the nicest people you will ever meet.

The minute Brett took off his helmet, people started approaching him to ask him about his bike and his sign, and that led to an explanation of his trip, something I’m sure he has already done about 1,000 times. But each time he tells it with the same enthusiasm and answers all of their questions (again, probably for the 1,000th time). Betty is the same way. When people were not able to talk to Brett, she picked up the slack and told the story with the same infectious enthusiasm as Brett.

IMG_1294.jpg

If you watch the TV interview that Brett gave, you can see how relaxed he was. This was because (in my opinion) Brett wasn’t doing a TV interview, he was telling his story to the reporter (who was another friend he just met). It was a really cool moment for me because of how it all came together. Brett, you are right. I was proud of the task you were undertaking and how you are working through all of the tough times and enjoying the experience of it all. I was also proud of my son. It was amazing to watch as he worked with Yukare to set up and film the entire interview. For those of you who have seen the clip, be aware that the actual interview from set up to wrap up took over 1/2 hour (for us). Thankfully they cut out some of the goofs (although I'm sure I'll see them again at some point).

IMG_1299.jpg

When I re-watched the video of Betty riding the One-Wheel, it reminded me of how fearless she it (and where Brett gets it). What Brett didn’t show you was his attempt at riding the One-Wheel. Let’s just say it wasn’t pretty (just kidding Brett, you did great).

Brett commented on how I took a day off of work to meet with him. I feel lucky to be in the position to be able to do that, but it really was no contest: spend a day at work, or spend a day riding round and visiting with a world famous traveler. To me it was a no brainer.

Here is a shot from the top of the sky bridge. Don't let Brett's relaxed smile fool you. His mind was busy trying to work out the best way to get Annie past the flood barriers to get the ultimate Davenport Riverfront picture.

IMG_1305.jpg

At the end of the day, as we were getting ready to part ways, Brett asked me to cross Davenport off his list. As I did, it was at that point, that Brett let out a sigh of relief. He spent the entire day in Davenport, but it was not until the end of the day, that he felt the exhilaration of crossing another target off of his list. I think that this is another example of how this is not just a race to places. Brett really wants to spend time to learn what he can about the people and places in the song. It’s not until he has done this, that he feels he has truly ‘been there’.

IMG_20190523_174211.jpg

Which brings me to Ombobika. If you read about his trip to Ombobika, you will know that he has mixed feelings about if he really made it there. After reading about that trip and hearing about it firsthand, I would say that there is a greater than 50% chance that Brett will be making another trip up there at some point in his life. Maybe not this year or even next year. But someday, I expect to see a picture of Brett standing somewhere in the wilds of Canada with a handmade sign saying: Ombobika, Population 1.

Brett, it was my pleasure to host you and your mom. I believe our path's will cross again someday. Until then, ride safe, and be joyful.

Dale
  7. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dale there is nothing wrong with your writing! Nice to see the addition by one of his "hosts".
    swedstal and ThruTheDunes like this.
  8. HPPants

HPPants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dog gone-it, there goes my allergies again. I was doing fine until Wingmom started her stuff.....
  9. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town...

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    I’m betting that if word got out, he’d likely be able to hold up a sign that said more like “Population 20.” I’d sure try hard to go for that ride.
    powderzone, swedstal, rich_mc and 2 others like this.
  10. Daleah

Daleah Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I've had several allergy attacks reading through this thread. Including while I was writing my post last night.

I think that would be a pretty safe bet to take. In fact I think I would take the Over on the Over/Under at 20.

BUT. I'm not really a betting man so...
  11. swedstal

swedstal Open heart, open mind, open can of beans

Oddometer:
    Oh man, where do I even begin?.....

Mom's arrival to the site:

Now that @swedstal's wingmom is an official member of our merry band of misfits I guess some things will have to change. I'm sorry to say that there will be no more profanity, nudity, covert plots to overthrow the Lithuanian government, racist rantings about Canadians people, how to guides for hacking the FBI database or page-long discussions of the ideal spark plug gap.

....I guess when all that stuff is eliminated, there's not much left to see here. We'll still try to soldier on.

Seriously though, thanks for welcoming her so warmly. I've been trying to convince her to join for awhile. She will really enjoy reading all of your wonderful comments.

Dale:

Would you like to write some posts for me? Please? You really knocked it out of the park with your comments about our time together. I now feel the pressure of trying to live up to all of the wonderful things you said about me. I don't know who the guy was you were talking about, but I'm going to try to be like him. :-)

I always appreciate getting someone else's perspective on my trip. Yours was possibly the most well thought out and meaningful one that I have read. The connection we made is one of the reasons that I love this site so dang much. I am so thankful to have met you.

...and Ombabika? I'll have more news on that later. :thumb

100 pages:

Triple digits! Wooooooo!
    :wings:rilla:happay:kat
    I never guessed this RR would stretch so long. Thank you for all of your well thought out comments which have provided much needed breaks between my incoherent ramblings. I couldn't have done it without all of you.

Let's get back to the story....
  12. swedstal

Oddometer:
    Finally Facing my Waterloo

Sunday, May 26th, 2019

Marion, Iowa

We went to church with our hosts, Norma and Marlon, in the morning. The weather was absolutely perfect which seemed surprising. We didn’t feel like we had quite enough time to visit Waterloo, our final song place in Iowa, so we planned a little detour to nearby Anamosa.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This little town is home to the National Motorcycle Museum, a must visit for anyone with even a casual interest in two wheeled conveyances. At the risk of sounding repetitive, it is also the home to some good friends of ours. Meet Trent and Tami:

[​IMG]

Trent was actually my 7th grade P.E. teacher and they were members of our church. I hadn’t seen either of them in over a decade, so it was a pleasant coincidence that we would get to see them.

We took a longer route to get to Anamosa and had some great riding.

[​IMG]

In the museum parking lot, Annie was typically attracting attention. A guy named Scott told me that he had connections with the Motorcycle Hall of Fame in Sturgis. He thought that if I completed my quest I should warrant consideration for this honor. I doubt this would happen, but I felt very honored he would even suggest it.

[​IMG]

We met Trent and Tami and they graciously picked up our entrance fees of $15 apiece. By current calculations, this equates to 567 miles of gas money. Upon walking into the museum, I was like a mosquito in a nudist colony.

[​IMG]

Evel Knievel exhibit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

McQueen:

[​IMG]
    scudo, SmilinJoe, roadcapDen and 6 others like this.
  13. swedstal

Oddometer:
    I love all bikes, but I think I’m more drawn to the one’s that are full of personality, rather than the ones that look shiny and new. I didn’t see any bikes covered with signatures though.

[​IMG]

Believe it or not, the monstrosity pictured below was actually the creator’s daily driver. It is easy for motorcyclists to get caught in the debates of what brands, tires, oil types, or even windshields are superior. For me, “ride what you love” will always be the most important axiom.

[​IMG]

1909 Harley:

[​IMG]

I was intentional in trying to see if they had a 1928 Harley somewhere on the floor. It didn’t take too much searching.

[​IMG]

I actually got to sit on one of these when I was hosted by the Carcarás motorcycle club in Brasilia. (Page 74)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A steam motorcycle. I consider myself to be fairly brave, but having a boiler between my legs is too much.

[​IMG]

A decked out adventure bike caught my eye. This mighty KLR 650 was used by Dr Gregory Frazier for one of his rides around the world. He is a successful author and has written numerous books about his adventures.

[​IMG]

Though when I read the description, I was a little confused. Boasting about the KLR’s reliability, it stated that it only required one oil change it its 19,500 mile ride around the world. Isn’t this a bit like a parent boasting about their child’s toughness by saying, “My child only needed to eat two times this week!” Doesn’t that say more about the parent’s neglect than the child’s toughness? Are there places in the world where engine oil is not available? Maybe I’m missing something here. Still, it was nice to see an adventuring bike featured.

I’ve always loved Honda Dreams. As soon as I have room/money for about four motorcycles, I will have one!

[​IMG]

I had emailed ahead of my visit and they asked to take some photos of Annie to be the “bike of the week” on their newsletter. I felt honored and hopefully Annie did as well. Our visit ended with making some new friends in the parking lot. It was nice to meet all of you!

[​IMG]

Some people have said that Annie should end up in a museum once this is all over. My initial reaction is:

[​IMG]

(I’m trying to add some variety to the Han Solo gifs)

I still feel like she has a lot of good miles left, but I suppose ending up in a museum is not the worst fate for a motorcycle. Though she lacks the classic sparkle of a traditional museum piece, she’s definitely unique. And though she would not be considered a “performance” motorcycle, her reliability and efficiency are upper echelon.
    scudo, rich_mc, SmilinJoe and 5 others like this.
  14. swedstal

Oddometer:
    After the museum, it was time to go to prison. The Anamosa State Penitentiary is a real piece of architecture. Trent and Tami told us that after it was constructed in the late 1800s, families would come have picnics on the lawn to admire the craftsmanship.

[​IMG]

We spent a few hours at their home, catching up and having a great meal. I especially enjoyed hearing about their travels to Liberia, where they’ve worked with a ministry focused on supplying clean water. I’m so glad that it worked out for us to meet up!

[​IMG]

We had another pleasant ride home, taking the long way and capturing some more scenic shots of the area.

[​IMG]

Nice work with the selfie stick, Mom.

[​IMG]

Monday, May 27th

Another rainy morning greeted us, but we had a great place to wait it out. Our hosts, Norma and Marlon made us feel so comfortable. It’s not just the size and dispersion of my family that’s impressive, it’s how well they take care of me.

[​IMG]

My Uncle Marlon left a distinctive signature on the top of my side case:

[​IMG]

You know how everyone has that one uncle who is kind of strange? I have eight of them. (…and I love you all!)

The day cleared up and Mom and I probably should have headed to Waterloo. Instead we went to the movie Detective Pikachu. This was special because my brother-in-law, a talented programmer and video effects artist, had his name in the credits!

[​IMG]

In this film, he wrote programs that can simulate the movement of thousands of trees and other environmental elements. It takes a crazy amount of technical and artistic abilities to to this. Way to go, Brad!
    scudo, rich_mc, SmilinJoe and 9 others like this.
  15. swedstal

Oddometer:
    Monday, May 27th

Waterloo day! Place 67 of 92. It’s always nice when you don’t have to do much thinking about the theme song for the day:

Probably a top 5 ABBA song, in my humble opinion.

The forecast didn’t look great, but it appeared it would be dry until late afternoon. It started raining soon after we departed and our short ride wasn’t too much fun.

[​IMG]

First up on our agenda was the Sullivan Brothers Iowa Veterans Museum. Mom and I managed to occupy nearly the entire coat closet with our wet riding gear.

[​IMG]

The Sullivans were five brothers who were killed on the USS Juneau in World War II. After the death of one of their friends at Pearl Harbor, they enlisted in the Navy with the stipulation that they serve together.

[​IMG]

Their heroic story was used to drum up support for the war effort, with their parents and widows touring to promote war bonds. A movie was made for them and two Navy destroyers have been named in their honor. It also caused the U.S. military to adopt the Sole Survivor Policy, which is the main plot point in the move Saving Private Ryan.

[​IMG]

The museum paid homage to them well and told their story excellently.

[​IMG]

The museum had another section which focused on the history of Waterloo. Mom and I spent a lot of time here, getting a better feel for what this town is all about.

[​IMG]

Waterloo is an industrial city. It has seen its share of ups and downs, with its most significant dip in the 1980s. To my eye at least, Waterloo has bounced back better than many of the Eastern “post-industrial” cities. They seem to have used economic hardship as a motivator for diversification in industry.

I also got to see an old friend of mine at the museum.

[​IMG]

I emailed the visitor’s center about my trip and they just said I should get a picture of this sign:

[​IMG]

As I was pushing Annie into position on the sidewalk, Mom was snapping some pictures “in case we get chased off.” Wow, she really is a good travel partner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You gotta watch your step in Waterloo!

[​IMG]
    rich_mc, SmilinJoe, GHOC and 12 others like this.
  16. swedstal

Oddometer:
    After a quick snack, it was time to visit the John Deere Tractor Museum. When asking Waterlooans(?) what would be the most iconic picture of their city, a John Deere tractor was a common response. The museum sits close to Waterloo’s John Deere factory, which is the city’s largest employer.

The museum entrance is free and we were greeted well by the staff there. Each person we talked to, from the guy cleaning floors to the guy running the tours, was friendly, helpful and interested in what I was doing.

[​IMG]

There really was a person named John Deere. He invented a plow in 1837 which was more suitable for the soils of the Great Plains. The company wasn’t into tractors too seriously until they purchased the Waterloo Gasoline Engine Company, makers of the Waterloo Boy tractor, in 1918.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The museum was really well done, offering good opportunities for interaction and information.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we were about ready to leave, the rains began again. We quickly set up Annie for some exterior pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you even have a casual connection to agriculture, or enjoy agricultural-related activities (eating food, for instance); this museum is a must visit. I definitely learned a lot.
    rich_mc, SmilinJoe, GHOC and 12 others like this.
  17. swedstal

Oddometer:
    We thought about calling it a day, but it appeared that the current rain system might blow over if we waited. We decided to go to a restaurant called Galleria de Paco, which was an incredible experience. Not many restaurants have a view like this:

[​IMG]

Evelin “Paco” Rosic was born in Yugoslavia (present day Bosnia). When the region became engulfed in civil war, the Rosic family was given refugee status to come to the US. Paco’s Dad, Jacky, welcomed us warmly and gave impeccable service. He helped us with our myriad of jackets.

[​IMG]

Paco always had a love for art, especially graffiti and street art. Eventually, he had an idea to remake Michaelangelo’s Sistine Chapel ceiling, completely with spray paint. This idea might actually be crazier than trying to go “Everywhere!”

[​IMG]

He used over 5,000 aerosol cans over the course of four months to complete his masterpiece. The whole story is absolutely fascinating HERE IS THE LINK to the story on their website.

We were fortunate enough to arrive right when they opened (5pm) so we could really take time to admire all of the artwork.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The amount of detail he was able to achieve is absolutely amazing. The food was great too and we were both so glad that we had stopped.

[​IMG]
    rich_mc, SmilinJoe, GHOC and 10 others like this.
  18. swedstal

Oddometer:
    It appeared that our plan to wait out the rain had worked and it was dry when we rolled out of Waterloo. Driving rain caught us shortly thereafter though.

[​IMG]

Perhaps Iowa’s immune system sensed an infection of two Nebraskans and was trying to do everything it could to flush us out of the state. It sure felt that way.

[​IMG]

…but we were not deterred. Coming around the last curve (below), you can see that Mom still has a smile on her face.

[​IMG]

We were pretty soaked…

[​IMG]

…but within minutes of arriving, Norma had hot chocolate warming our insides and hand-made quilts warming our outsides. She really took good care of us. That night she even sewed up my boot covers (which I had left at their place) so hopefully I will have no more ped-ponds.

Wednesday, May 29th

On this day we would have loved to take a ride on the Iowa Waterfall Route. Dale, our Davenport guide, had recommended this route to us. A rainy morning made us decided against it. Once the weather cleared in the afternoon, we decided to make a break for it and head home.

As my boots were still thoroughly waterlogged, creative solutions were needed:

[​IMG]

Thank you, Norma and Marlon, for being such wonderful hosts!

Mom and I developed a few hand signals to communicate while at speed. Flashing three fingers in a “W” shape signifies, “Would you look at that!” This was probably my Dad’s most common travel phrase. Shortly into our ride, I flashed the “W” and pointed at the sun. It was a real treat to see it!

[​IMG]

We had a nice calm riding day and decided not to push daylight, settling down at a hotel in Denison. One of the many bonuses of having Mom along was that she paid for pretty much everything. I still haven’t paid for a hotel in North America.
    rich_mc, SmilinJoe, DC950 and 8 others like this.
  19. swedstal

Oddometer:
    Thursday, May 30th

Kind of a sad day. The end of the Iowa loop for Mom and I. It’s really a shame, considering I was finally getting her to help with the morning inspection. The brake light test can be especially tricky:

[​IMG]

We were in full on “mozy mode” as we didn’t have much ground to cover on the day.

[​IMG]

We explored the Loess Hills area again, even getting onto some gravel roads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We made a final stop in Iowa, celebrating with a Twin Bing (made in Sioux City).

[​IMG]

Finally, it was over the bridge and back into the state which is number 50 in tourism and number one in our hearts.

[​IMG]

Soon, we leaned into our final curve together and reached home.

[​IMG]

Before Mom even had her helmet off, she was inspecting the progress of her flowers.

[​IMG]

What can I say about this special chapter of my trip? Having Mom along was so much fun and so good for both of us. As were going through this difficult time in our lives, I continue to be impressed by her. Her resolve to carry on joyfully is ever evident. Thanks, Mom, for being such a good passenger. Sorry about the rain and helmet-hair.

Stay dry, everybody

BA
    rich_mc, SmilinJoe, GHOC and 23 others like this.
  20. swedstal

Oddometer:
    Realtime update: I'm drinking down my last few sips of egg coffee from my home kitchen. In a few hours (hopefully) I will officially be back on the road. I'm planning to spend tonight in Omaha with my brother, then head to Kansas City on Tuesday. After that, Wichita, Springfield and Tulsa will be up (not sure about the order).

I recently added a new feature over on my blog called Places/Progress. It is a real time depiction of all the places in song order. (Link Here) It's fun to see them all in one place. Maybe I could make a similar page on this site, but I'm not sure where I should file it.

There's no turning back now! Let's finish this thing up!