"I've Been Everywhere, Man" Living the song on two wheels.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by swedstal, Jun 5, 2017.

1. swedstal

swedstal Open heart, open mind, open can of beans

Oddometer:
    Thursday, July 25th

I was up at 5am to make some coffee and head into town for some photo ops. The city seemed so different at the early hour, without the hustle and bustle of all the tourists.

[​IMG]

The lighting was really nice since the sun was up, but was yet to crest above the mountains.

[​IMG]

At the Palace of the Governors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also took some shots in Burro Alley, in honor of my own trusty pack mule.

[​IMG]

I went up to an overlook site to watch the sun come over the mountains.

[​IMG]

When I descended, I had a bit of a scare as my keys were not in my pocket. Part of me wondered if my turquoise keychain knew it was home and intended to stay in Santa Fe. I ran back up the hill and found them on the ledge where I had been sitting. Phew.

[​IMG]

Though I didn’t feel great about my time in Santa Fe, I decided to head out. I had really high expectations for this place, which went unrealized on this visit. Nothing negative happened here, but I was not able to connect with the people of this place. I didn’t really meet anyone with any level of enthusiasm. Maybe this is expected in a place with so many tourists. I guess I was just surprised that a place with so much culture and history felt so bland.

I hope I will be able to visit here again in the future. Perhaps with more time and more money, I will enjoy Santa Fe more thoroughly. It was unfortunate that I was unable to meet up with inmate @Romero , as he was out of town. Next time!
    Cloud-9, DC950, DaleE and 13 others like this.
  2. swedstal

Oddometer:
    There was still a lot to experience this day. I began heading north through the mountains. Route:

[​IMG]

I was interested to visit Los Alamos. There is a free science museum there which details the events of the Manhattan Project. It took just 27 months for the incredible scientists here to develop the atomic bomb. From a purely scientific perspective, this may be the most impressive feat of the entire 20th Century.

[​IMG]

I learned many things about the project which were new to me, but which are probably too boring to include in this quality publication.

[​IMG]

Though the museum is solely focused on the scientific achievements of this project, the ethical consequences remain a hotly debated topic. Would the Japanese have surrendered without the bomb? How many lives would have been lost in a land invasion of Japan? Was the dropping of the bomb primarily a show of strength to the USSR? Has the world been safer since the debut of nuclear weapons? What decision would Henry Wallace (the guy who should have been president) made?

Obviously, it is impossible to know the answers to any of these questions. There is a little corner of the museum where outside groups have expressed opposing opinions on opposing walls.

[​IMG]

The rain was pouring down when I left the museum, but I decided to ride on. When entering the area for the National Labratory, there is a checkpoint where you can be subject to a random inspection. Or if you are me, you can be subject to a really pleasant conversation about my trip.

[​IMG]

I continued on to the Bandelier National Monument. This is a heritage area located in a canyon which preserves the dwellings of the indigenous peoples of the area. I may not have visited, except that I now have a National Park pass (thanks Adam and Natalie).

[​IMG]

They even have ladders that let you climb up into some of the cliff dwellings.

[​IMG]

I’ve definitely slept in worse spots…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just a reminder…You might not always feel like you are heading in the right direction, but just keep growing and you will eventually find your way:

[​IMG]
    Cloud-9, DC950, DCrider and 11 others like this.
  3. swedstal

Oddometer:
    Even more dwellings were visible when I was back on the road:

[​IMG]

As I continued north, I hit a really tough storm. It was one of the most intense cross-winds I had felt in some time and the road was flooded in some spots.

[​IMG]

But Annie was really needing a wash, so I didn’t mind too much.

My goal for the night was to reach the little resort town of Red River. Here, I would be reconnecting with some very special Oklahomans.

[​IMG]

I stayed with Rocky (aka @vt700guy) and Leanna in NW Oklahoma for a few days, using their place as my jumping off point to visit Hennessy, home of Oklahoma’s largest quilt shop. (Page 107) I’d enjoyed getting to know their son, Ryan, and this time I got to meet their daughter, Lauren, too.

Before I even had my rain gear peeled off, I made a nice connection with some another couple staying in the hotel, Brett and (I totally lost her name. I had it saved on my phone which is now dead). She seemed drawn to my Dad’s signature, almost magnetically, which allowed me to share about what an incredible man he was. Shortly thereafter, she gave me some money to assist me in my trip. It was a brief, but deep, interaction.

Rocky, of course, noted that when he is around people just seem to consistently give me things like money and quilts. I guess he probably deserves a 10% finder’s fee.

They took me to a bistro called “Brett’s.” The food was really good, but I was disappointed that they did not have a Brett-specific discount.

[​IMG]

My long day drew to a close with some old and new friends around a crackling camp fire. They made room for me in their hotel. Having a roof is always a nice treat.
  4. swedstal

Oddometer:
    Friday, July 26th

I was initially planning on heading out in the morning, but my plans were about to change. Rocky and his family come here often in the summer and one of his favorite activities is enjoying his morning coffee on the hotel balcony. After joining him for this ritual, it became clear to me that I was not going to be making any progress this day.

[​IMG]

Most of the day was very relaxing, with good food and new friends. I met the owner of the hotel who had met Johnny Cash in 1955, before he was really famous. He had good things to say about Cash’s down-to-earth personality.

We took the truck out for a drive up the mountain in the afternoon, taking in some spectacular views.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Perhaps the only thing truly epic on this day was our battle on the go-kart course. Rocky already posted this photo a few pages back, but I just love it. You can tell that we aren't just having a good time, we are fully focused on racing. :-)

[​IMG]

This was a special day off and I was amazed at how the generosity of these Oklahomans stretched beyond their state lines (…and not even the first Oklahomans to do so). Thank you so much for letting me be a part of your family for a few days. It was just what I was needing!

I’m still a bit unsure of how to sum up my time in New Mexico. I guess if I were giving it a grade, it would have to be “incomplete.” I just didn’t spend enough time there to make any sweeping generalizations. Although I must say, I’m a bit surprised that the highlights were a staircase and some Oklahomans.

11 to go!

Keep spiraling, everybody

BA
    Cloud-9, DC950, DaleE and 11 others like this.
  5. swedstal

Oddometer:
    Realtime update: I’m still in Colorado. No, I haven’t taken up permanent residence here, I’ve just been having some very special time with friends and family. I’m planning to be back on the road tomorrow, hopefully reaching Utah on Thursday. I’ll do some National Parks, cross off Cedar City, then head down into Arizona.

As referenced in this post, my primary phone is dead. I’m hoping to resurrect it, but for now I’m using one of my old ones. I probably have some unresponded to messages that got lost in the shuffle, so please get back in touch with me if I haven’t responded to you.

Also, I'm planning to stop by the Mosko Meetup in Denver tonight. Thanks, @gianttrack , for bringing this to my attention. If you've grown tired of calling me a loser on the internet and would like to tell me to my face, please stop on by. :-)
    DC950, GHOC, Oznay and 6 others like this.
  6. GregDavidL

GregDavidL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So it was a cool looking staircase.

:-)
    swedstal likes this.
  7. WYO George

WYO George witness protection file #7236

Oddometer:
    I was worried at first when I saw the picture of all the motels, it was looking like a trend, but then you quickly redeemed yourself (not that I'm serious or that my opinion would really matter if I were) with tent camping in the "forest" by Santa Fe. I've been through that town a dozen times and only stopped once for lunch. I should stop in next trip to ABQ.
    swedstal, Oznay and ScotsFire like this.
  8. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Just a silly house keeping question given your unenthusiastic thoughts on the city but unless I missed the answer, who checked Santa Fe off the list?
    swedstal and oneodd1 like this.
  9. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Your side trip on RTE 66 reminded me of my trip in the early 2000's. I tried to ride as much as possible as well of the old road and stay at the local motels and eat at local diners also. Many locals appreciated that for sure. A famous quote comes to mind here...

“Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything.”
    ― Charles Kuralt

Another one for Micky D fans....:-)

"You can find your way across this country using burger joints the way a navigator uses stars.”
    ― Charles Kuralt
    swedstal, B10Dave, AnthonyD and 2 others like this.
  10. HPPants

HPPants Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spent a night in the Blue Swallow Motel in Tucumcari, NM in 2017. It was really neat to sit outside the room in the evening with a cold beer and the neon.

Ride on, brother....
    swedstal and ScotsFire like this.
  11. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO

Oddometer:
    You love New Mexico!! And Old Mexico
    @swedstal
    swedstal likes this.
  12. stilcrazee

stilcrazee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My dad moved to Rio Communities- Belen, NM back in 1973 but had purchased his home that was being built in 1972. My wife and I drove our VW camper out to see the area on our honeymoon in August of 72. We drove out every year thereafter to visit dad and made tourist type trips with him to Santa Fe and other places in the area yearly until he passed in 82. He had worked part time at a "convenience" store in Belen and became friends with many locals including native Indians. Several times while we visited we got to go into homes in the Isleta and Los Lunas pueblos to purchase silver and turquoise jewelry and receive fresh warm loaves of bread.
    In Santa Fe we found that most small business in city center were operated by people that had moved there to start and run their "artsy" businesses and weren't very interested in small talk. JMO
    swedstal, DC950, KiwiPewe and 2 others like this.
  13. africord

africord Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised you didn't pack a spare set hidden on Annie. I figured that a spare set of keys at home when I'm on a tour probably won't do me any good. I've never lost a set, but I did misplace my keys on a tour last year. They showed up about two days later in a pocket it didn't remember using.

swedstal and KiwiPewe like this.
  14. DC950

DC950 Microadventurer

Oddometer:
    Brett,

I think I started reading this a few days after you started but got behind on one of my many hiatuses from this site. A long time later I found it bookmarked and started reading again when you and your mom were riding together. It became clear really quickly that I needed to go back to the beginning. Since my family lives in NM, it has been great to have something to do after work.

It's taken weeks but I'm finally caught up. I really want to say thanks for all of the work you put into this report. I've learned so much - I really believe if you aren't learning you are ossifying - about places I've never even heard of. It really is one of the best reports on this site. Take it from someone who has been here a long time, it is easily Top 10. Maybe even top five.

Thanks again for your honesty, enthusiasm, thoroughness, and abiliity to let who you are show through. Even the crazy Jesus stuff. Especially the Jesus stuff because so many who claim to love him, deny him (or at least keep him in their pocket).

On a practical note, you've made me interested in a bike I never would have been. If you go through southern NM, you have a place to stay. It's worth seeing more of NM. My son, a high school senior who rides a DR250 to school, would love to talk to you about gas mileage and travel. He claims to hate the DR but he really likes 70mpg. My wife is used to strange motorcycle people showing up at our house. I hope to run into you when you are up in OR.

Oh yeah, you do realize you are going to end up a school teacher, don't you?

DC
  15. 531blackbanshee

531blackbanshee n00b

Oddometer:
    checking in from skiatook, oklahoma(30 miles north of Tulsa).
    i have enjoyed your travels thus far.
    nice to see oklahoma represented so well by the people you have met in your travels.
    if you find yourself in need of a place to stay on your way back through,or a shop for maintenance or repairs don't hesitate to get in touch.
    nineone8sixthree8oneseventhree8

leon
  16. derblauereiter

derblauereiter Mostly made of cheese Supporter

Oddometer:
    swedstal likes this.
  17. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    Bumped into Brett in Denver and again in Utah, missed each other all over South America then twice in a week our paths cross, great to meet him

DSC00313.jpg
  18. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been on maybe a dozen week-long trips
    Did you get a pic of you two together? This is a historic meeting of two Advrider/Inmate legends!
    swedstal and interceptor1972 like this.
  19. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding...

Oddometer:
    brett did, i'm sure he'll post later