"I've Been Everywhere, Man" Living the song on two wheels.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by swedstal, Jun 5, 2017.

1. derblauereiter

derblauereiter Mostly made of cheese Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nebraska! I think...
  2. knight

knight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I only got 45K out of the rear shock on my NC 750
    swedstal likes this.
  3. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have at you! The Black Knight always triumphs!
    swedstal likes this.
  4. hankmoody

hankmoody Ummmmm?? REALLY?!

Oddometer:
    Keep at it Brett!!! The end is near!!
  5. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    ^ :nod
    swedstal likes this.
  6. BkerChuck

BkerChuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    87K on an OEM rear shock on any bike is pretty much way beyond its life expectancy. On my 2007 FJR I was on my 3rd rear shock when the bike was destroyed in a crash.
    interceptor1972 and swedstal like this.
  7. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    I've got over 112,000 miles on the shock of my VFR. I might be due for a new one.:lol2
    swedstal likes this.
  8. africord

africord Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to know the life of a VFR shock. Here I was worried that I should replace it at 17 years and 63,000 miles. I'm barely over half of the quoted 112,000+ lifespan of the part! Looking forward to the final arrangements for the end of this saga. "Ride" doesn't begin to cover it.
  9. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can't master E Minor. Drums are in my near future, I guess.

Densely Yours,
    Imu
  10. WYO George

WYO George witness protection file #7236

Oddometer:
    It’s ok brother, we still love ya. Even if you do become a drummer. :lol3
    swedstal and simbaboy like this.
  11. wetwider

wetwider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For all the wonderers here, Brett sent a note yesterday saying "I will probably be delaying the bulk of my writing until after my mission is complete. I hope people don't find this too cruel."

Of COURSE we'll find that terribly cruel but the lad does need to make tracks while he can. He was at his sisters in Vancouver, BC, yesterday with Annie's rear shock replaced (thank goodness - following him awhile the other day he looked like he was riding a pogo stick, maybe posting on a horse. He's become a very good rider to keep the bike under him with the busted shock for a couple thousand miles!). Anyway, a cold-snap brought freezing temperatures & snow to the Northwest & BC this week so I won't begrudge his riding instead of writing. His home beckons.

Wife & I had the pleasure of his company recently for a night on his way to his sis's. We savored his Swedish egg coffee; it's mighty good ~ and Brett is indeed the fine fellow readers perceive.

Hang in there Brett!
  12. WYO George

WYO George witness protection file #7236

Oddometer:
    I also spoke with him last night and gave him a weather update for the area between him and home. He seemed in good spirits, but road tired and dealing with a new issue on Annie. It’s not a major one so I gave him some tips on taking care of things on the road and made sure he knew to call me if he needs assistance. Im going to pass on joining him for the finale and let him get home and unpacked then I’ll blast over and spend the weekend welcoming him back to “normal” life and giving Annie a good post-trip service.

Ride safe young friend, see you in Nebraska.
  13. GHOC

GHOC FNG

Oddometer:
    When we last left our Nebraska man he was being lead away from the regional airport after a few too many maple syrup liquor.

Upon release by the Delta constabulary, the Nebraska man sought comfort at the 2010 Olympics athletes village. 100 different beer on tap probably was just a coincidence. One of Vancouver's many tame Americans, jdgmntday, was enlisted to try and talk him down.

IMG_0149.jpg

The next day the Nebraska man was spotted in a Starbucks parking lot.

IMG_0157 (2).jpg

He was later seen trying to understand poutine - really, it's a Quebec thing you have to ask Jacques for the good stuff - before going to greet someone's father somewhere far to the east. Anyone notice how sparkly white his teeth are? (foreshadowing)

IMG_0158.jpg

There was an odd smell about him; it was hard to describe. Not just the usual pungent unwashed sojouner on the land odour, but something more like moose with a hint of maple syrup.

You know you're a grizzled veteran traveller when... your jacket is so bleached it's only black where the sun don't shine.

IMG_0159.jpg

Winter is coming

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep

There's a lot of ground to cover before the snow arrives. This leaves stories untold but, winter is coming.

The Nebraska man has been persuaded that readers of this quality publication will bear with him because winter is coming. He will now prioritize enjoying the experience of completing his quest before the snow flies.

Patient readers may look forward to a well illustrated and highly polished motorcycle manuscript after the leaves fall. It is likely to slowly emerge as the winter winds howl and the hungry Yetis prowl the Anderson homestead.

Tomorrow the Nebraska man heads east from Vancouver. We are all sorry to see him go.

He has one mysterious, and previously unscheduled, stop (foreshadowing) before heading home to cross off the last location and truly be able to say, "I've Been Everywhere Man."

Winter is coming.

test-pattern.jpg
    DaleE, chilolac, DC950 and 18 others like this.
  14. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Meaningless sidenote to Brett. My paternal grandmother was born in Beatrice, Nebraska.
    interceptor1972 likes this.
  15. swedstal

swedstal Open heart, open mind, open can of beans

Oddometer:
    I can't wait to share the Crater Lake photo. It is probably one of the best, but not for the reasons I would have expected. :-)

:lol3 I think she knows it's been Everywhere, man. :-)

Perhaps for the best. Whiskey and weed could be a perfect concoction for a brutal, yet scenic, fall to your death.

I've actually had this song stuck in my head recently. It's a good "end of the line" description.

You're the best, Brooks. I could read your writing all day. :-) Thank you for the kind words and for appreciating my coffee. If you didn't, I would have major doubts about you. :-) I'll be barreling by later today, but I eagerly await the next time I can stop in!

I'm looking forward to Annie getting some post-trip love. She really deserves it. Any reason is a good enough excuse for us to get together. :thumb

I don't even want to add anything to this. It's perfect the way it is. Thanks for everything, Rob. It has been such an honoUr to get to know you better. :-)
  16. swedstal

swedstal Open heart, open mind, open can of beans

Oddometer:
    Endgame

The saga is coming to a close. This post is a realtime update about how I foresee the final days of our journey.

The road ahead

I am still in Vancouver, BC, taking off in an hour or so. I am intent upon revisiting Ombabika, the abandoned settlement in Western Ontario, before returning to Nebraska and ending my quest. I didn’t quite find it on my first try (Page 6) and still feel like I have some unfinished business there. I have a plethora of new information and connections which makes me extremely eager to return. I can’t wait to tell that story.

Between me and Ombabika stands over 2,000 miles of what will probably be the coldest riding of my entire trip. I’ve been studying forecasts to try to make my timing ideal, but I don’t think it will be possible to completely avoid inclement weather.

I’m planning to log most of my miles back in the US (cheaper gas, possibly warmer, more people that I know) and eventually reenter Canada somewhere in Minnesota. I’m trying to stay flexible enough that I can change my plans quickly as more current weather forecasts become available.

After Ombabika, home will be in my sights. Nebraska will be the only box unchecked from my sign.

The ending of this quality (…but definitely not timely) publication

Writing has been extremely tedious for me throughout the last six weeks or so. The quality has still been pretty good, but it seems to take me four times longer to complete an update. I thought I would get some catch up done while I was here in Vancouver, but it’s still been really hard to make progress.

At this point, I think the best thing for me to do is to focus on the task at hand rather than the tale at hand. Snow might stop my riding, but it cannot stop my writing. If I were to delay longer to get this publication to a more current standing, I might risk losing out on the chance to return to Ombabika. The road there will close for the season sometime within the next month. Once that happens, spring would be my next opportunity to revisit there.

(One other note: If you happen to be following my live tracking on the day that I go to Ombabika, I will be shutting the tracker off once I get close. I’ll explain the reasoning for this later.)

I may be able to publish one post before I am back home, but I can’t guarantee that I will have time. I hate to forgo regular updates right when this journey is reaching its climax, but I think that is what I am going to have to do. We once had to wait 16 years between Star Wars movies, so I don’t think delaying my story by a few weeks is too sinister.

The finish line

I’ve really gone back and forth on this one. Sometimes I’ve felt like I wanted to have a party at the finish line, inviting friends, family and other aficionados of this quality publication. Other times, I’ve thought that just a calm, peaceful finish would be the right thing. Ultimately I’ve decided that I will finish this journey quietly, with no pomp and circumstance. A few factors have contributed to this decision.

Pride and self-glorification are things that I need to be really careful with. I know they are stumbling blocks for me. I want to continue to grow in humility and I think making a big deal of the completion of this quest could jeopardize that. Even if it is something that I want, it is probably not the best thing for me.

Additionally, anytime I have visualized a finish line celebration in my mind, Dad is always there. Honestly, I don’t know how I would react to be faced with that harsh reality at the moment of completion. My Dad was the most supportive parent ever and there is no way he would have ever missed the finishing of my trip (even if I told him it was in Schefferville). I think I will check off the final place in the cemetery in Wausa where my Dad is buried. It just seems like the right thing to do.

I still plan on pushing Annie the last mile, which will probably happen when I return to my home in Lincoln. She definitely deserves it!

For anyone who was looking forward to celebrating the finish with me, I apologize. An invitation still stands to anyone who would like to come meet Annie, Sonic and maybe even me. Honestly, I’d prefer time with individuals rather than a large group anyway.

Annies condition

The new rear shock is on, which feels amazing. I also developed some leaks for the first time around my fork seals. I cleaned them out and they were OK for my test ride today. I’m getting just a bit concerned about my chain, but I think it will make it the rest of the way.

In conclusion

Everywhere has been waiting for 57 years. Now it only has to wait about ten days. I know there will be unexpected challenges as well as unexpected blessings in these final miles. I’m ready to finish this thing strong and with no regrets. As always, thank you for accompanying me on this journey. It has been a true team effort.

Ombabika or bust!

BA
    vicmitch, SmilinJoe, DaleE and 26 others like this.
  17. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not remembering where the heck Ombabika is, I googled and low and behold! The first result is from our faithful correspondent on the road. Bret, if you can get this next visit to show up as the second result, I'll nominate you for a Nobel Prize in Googling (2020, as 2019's are done).

ombabika.JPG

All the best on the last leg!
    simbaboy likes this.
  18. Coldstreak

Coldstreak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, thank you for bringing us along. It is with a mixture of sadness and happiness that most of us view the end of this most excellent RR. Sad that a true adventure and saga is drawing to a close and we'll need to find another one to live vicariously through. Happy that you will have accomplished your extraordinary goal.
    I hope you are able to avoid the snow storm which is happening now in the Dakotas and western Minnesota. If you make it down close to the Twin Cities I have a place for you to stop and rest. I'm sure I feel like most of the lurkers on this blog that it would be an incredible honor to help out in some manner.
    ScotsFire, B10Dave, KiwiPewe and 6 others like this.
  19. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Whatever route you decide on, just take your time and please don't feel pressured in any way shape or form!! Stay safe and keep the rubber down!! :deal
    MizzouRider and Davidprej like this.
  20. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Concluding this quest at the cemetery in Wausa is absolutely the right choice. Those of us who have followed from the get-go, checked AdvRider daily for updates, savored the whole unfolding saga, understand and approve. My father passed 30 years ago. I miss him every day.
    ScotsFire, Milosh, B10Dave and 8 others like this.