"I've Been Everywhere, Man" Living the song on two wheels.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by swedstal, Jun 5, 2017.

1. 7t9cbx

7t9cbx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brett, i would be interested in your thoughts on merging back into " normal life" as time goes by? I have been following along for some time and wondered about a "let down" of sorts .
    What you have been doing is a desire most of us have in the back of our mind. I have taken a 3 month bicycle trip with my brother from Maine to Key west and 2 shorter trips of 1,000 miles also . I am retired but find myself constantly back in those places in my mind . I have been riding motorcycles for 44 years but have only managed 2 or 3 weeks at a time by motorcycle. I realize it may take some time to "experience" what "so called normal" life feels like again, but would be interested in your thoughts . How has it changed you and your expectations of life and yourself?
    KiwiPewe, oneodd1, GregDavidL and 2 others like this.
  2. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Brett I bet you're flush with all sorts of emotions starting the new job and the Chiefs going to the Super Bowl :jack

frT3sGJ.jpg
  3. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap:imaposer
    hankmoody likes this.
  4. DaleE

DaleE TransAlp Adv

Oddometer:
  5. swedstal

swedstal Open heart, open mind, open can of beans

Oddometer:
    Realtime update: So....I'm not really sure how it happened, but somehow Mom and I have ended up in Florida. We're currently enjoying the hospitality of @mikejana, who will be featured in my next update. I don't think I will be getting into the Super Bowl game, but I'm at least going to go down and soak in the atmosphere tomorrow. If anybody has any recommendations for good disguises to help me sneak in, please let me know.

Go Chiefs!
  6. sorethumb

sorethumb Wubba Lubba Dub Dub!

Oddometer:
    I am praying to the 8lb. 6oz. (3.5kg) Blue and Gold Baby Husaberg that @mikejana converts the author of this fine publication into a true believer of the 70 degree motor!

Btw, if you get some Dickies, a high-viz vest, hard hat, and carry a 24 foot ladder with a pal, you can walk right past *most* security. Nobody bothers a couple of guys carrying a ladder, they must have some work to do!

Good luck and have fun!
  7. Ummagummibear

Ummagummibear n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow, I made it to the last (for now) page! About a month ago, I saw a post on the NC700X forums saying that the Everywhere Man is just about finished. This was the first I'd learned about your trip, and being the proud owner of a litter-mate to Annie, I was immediately hooked (I can tell you that Kuma-Moto is insanely jealous). So I've been spending that time reliving your travels, and I'm kind of glad I got here before you got to the very end of your story, realtime updates notwithstanding.

Even though your tale only has four "chapters" I feel like I've been reading an epic novel, and enthralled all the way. Something on the order of Lord of the Rings. (And now I see that with your new job, you are indeed a lord of the rings – congrats.)

Way back in 2017, you rolled through Toronto (my city!) and a few posts later mentioned that you'd spent a lot on a parking garage here. I wanted to go back in time, meet you for a coffee or beer, and tell you that on-street parking in Toronto is free for motorcycles.

You'd made it to México (a country near and dear to my heart) by page 25. I was wondering how it could possibly take over 100 more pages to cover all the song places. But in fact your story-telling just kept (and keeps) getting better and better.

I travelled with you through much of Latin America, on the way learning of the existence of the Darien Gap and the difficulties of getting a motorcycle around it. I also got to know your amazingly supportive and loving family. (Not to mention your incredible extended family that seems to span the Americas. It's the Anderson's world: The rest of us are just living in it.)

I grieved when I learned that your father had passed away. It happened to be exactly one year later when I read that. And I was gratified to see how you and your mother were able to support and inspire each other in such a difficult time.

I'm not a football guy, but I was happy to hear that the Chiefs would be in the Super Bowl, and I was somehow not surprised that you had the foresight to bet on them winning that game when you were in Las Vegas. I also decided that I had to get to the end of the thread by Super Bowl Sunday, so that I could post this comment and say "Go Chiefs!" both for your sake and for the sake of Dr. Duvernay-Tardif, a Canadian MD who is somehow also a member of your team (but mostly for your sake)!

Your story has been a true testament to what one man's determination can accomplish, not to mention what a tough little critter the NC700X is. Reading about your journey has fired up my own wanderlust. I've been trying to rope all my buddies into getting their motorcycle licences so we can take a trip to México at least. But if that doesn't work out, maybe I'll try finding Ombabika on my own.

Lastly, I wanted to comment on the quality of your writing. That story you told in Utah of reaching for someone's falling phone, almost dying, thinking that that would have been an acceptable way to go, and then warning the reader not to trust anyone who portrays themselves as noble: that story summed up your character, your humility, and your wit. You have shown, through deeds as well as words that you live by the golden rule, treating others as you would wish to be treated. We need more people like that.

You've mentioned on occasion that your quest is pointless or silly. Maybe it was a little arbitrary, but with all the human (and other primate – Ha!) connections you've made, it's proved to be anything but silly. By sharing your story, by being generous where possible, and being gracious when others were generous, you've done a lot of good.

Anyway, I'm sorry I've written too much. I'm looking forward to the final Ombabika report, the journey home, and of course, the sequel. If you're ever again in these parts, give me a buzz. And meanwhile, I hope your prolate spheroid team wins!
  8. Drybones

Drybones Fish bones are on my truck seat cover, too

Oddometer:
    gummibear, You are nominated to write the forword to Brett's book :)
    2wingdoc05, simbaboy, jeep723 and 4 others like this.
  9. Geezerguy

Geezerguy In the shadows

Oddometer:
    One heck of a good first post!
    simbaboy, ScotsFire and Ummagummibear like this.
  10. mikejana

mikejana Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He got to ride the FX450 'berg yesterday, so I did my part. He was definitely smiling.
    If twisting the throttle on that fine piece of Swedish Engineering did not connect at a genetic level,
    he needs to change his handle from Swedstahl.

Oh, and Go Chiefs!
  11. Turbo Ghost

Turbo Ghost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has anyone visited the new Winnemucca sign yet? I'll be heading cross country later this year and plan on visiting it if at all possible.
    simbaboy, oneodd1 and derblauereiter like this.
  12. xl250k0

xl250k0 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Go Chiefs! If my Steelers can’t be in it KC’s next best thing.
    ScotsFire likes this.
  13. Flower Child

Flower Child Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m with you! Love my Steelers but tonight I love the Chiefs!! GO CHIEFS
    CharlestonADV, ScotsFire and Dirtleg like this.
  14. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    I’ve only watched one half a football game in my life, but I’ve been following the score on my phone and it’s looking good for the Chefs!
    hankmoody and simbaboy like this.
  15. emptyHead

emptyHead Rookie

Oddometer:
    This one's for Brett!
    Flower Child and WYO George like this.
  16. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    I was thinking maybe this one was for Randel
    vortmax, simbaboy, emptyHead and 4 others like this.
  17. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Chiefs just intercepted, game all but over, CHIEFS SUPER BOWL LIV CHAMPS !!!:clap
    Flower Child and borderlinebob like this.
  18. SnowOwl

SnowOwl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unbelievable finish! WOW!
  19. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-1/4 mile N of International Falls, MN
  20. mpenner

mpenner Heavy Cruiser

Oddometer:
    Thrilled to see the Chiefs win for Brett. Nice bonus that SF lost