"I've Been Everywhere, Man" Living the song on two wheels.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by swedstal, Jun 5, 2017.

1. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unsure of what places remain on your list, without reading backwards, I don’t think many would hold it against you to pause for the winter weather to pass. Home for the holidays is always nice. Maybe you could make up a verse of your own and tour the southern US for awhile and finish off the north in the spring.
    Drybones, mrbreeze and WYO George like this.
  2. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    Finally caught up! Who needs sleep? Great RR, but I would wait until Spring to start chapter 4. Avoid The Rockies until June. Just my opinion.
  3. africord

africord Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bret, It was good to finally meet you. Maybe next spring we could take a shorter rider together? I'm not up for the kind of days you put in! Brian
  4. mrbreeze

Oddometer:
    2C6A9729-56F6-43C4-833A-BBBD7EA28E76.jpeg C56A51A1-4282-43DB-A4C1-29F263E08D79.jpeg A7E4BFCA-59D6-4DD4-ABEA-72E3D3644ED8.jpeg 0A1F819B-4B30-4843-B3EF-093DAB84749E.jpeg I noticed this Rambler at a body shop. I thought I would share.
    stilcrazee, WYO George and GregDavidL like this.
  5. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    Happy turkey day.
  6. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Absolutely amazing! How did I miss this? Well, I know full well how I missed it... the title. I grew up in a home force-fed a lifetime supply of Hank Snow and came to HATE the guy with a passion. In addition, my sister shares his birthday (May 9). Your title threw me off. Johnny Cash I can live with fine. What you've just done now has destroyed a week of my life with continued brilliance! I've read some fine RR's on the site (including Mitch's) but this takes the cake. You've saved me thousands of dollars as I now don't have to go to South America. I've been all through it in the past week.

:clap:clap:clap

ps. My sign guess on the half filled circles may be a high beam-low beam reminder. (???)
  7. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I always rag on my sister (both now in our fifties) that I share my birthday with Mahatma Gandhi and she shares hers with Hank Snow. :D

If Hank rode it would be on a KLR650. :jack
    Mofrid likes this.
  8. WYO George

WYO George Rosebud!

Oddometer:
    Hey gang, I just wanted to say that Brett hasn't been abducted by aliens or eaten by a Jaguar. His journey is on temporary hold while he takes care of more important things. I won't go into details because I didn't ask permission, but if you're a person of faith then please keep Brett and his family in your prayers. If not then I'm sure good thoughts are welcome too.

I apologize for being so cryptic, but that's all I'll say.
  9. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    No complaints here. Personal issues take priority and should be kept private..
  10. stilcrazee

stilcrazee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had one of those when I was 17 ish, white roof and a light turquoise/blue body. Three on the tree, used to street race with it... I don't remember it having the 550 on the trunk though.
  11. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    Prayers up for whatever he’s going through
    WYO George likes this.
  12. vicmitch

vicmitch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whatever it is, it's good that he's home with family.
    RedDogAlberta, KiwiPewe and SOLOKLR like this.
  13. mrbreeze

Oddometer:
    Be Joyful in all things!
    WYO George likes this.
  14. swedstal

swedstal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know where to start...

I guess I'll just start typing and see where this goes.

Dad

I arrived back in Nebraska about six weeks ago. I felt pretty good, despite having spent ten months riding around Latin America. I thought I would stay home for a couple of weeks, then begin the final loop of my trip.

There were lingering concerns about my Dad's health, however. For those of you who don't know, he was diagnosed with pancreas/liver cancer 16 years ago. A year later he received a liver transplant. The cancer returned shortly thereafter and he's had lots of ups and downs with his health. Still, he's lived his life to the full, joining me during several stretches of my journey.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I got home, Dad had been in a stretch of about two months where he had very little energy and almost no appetite. We were all starting to get worried. On October 24th, he went to the hospital for what ended up being an 11 day stay. He had lots of fluid on his lungs, some pneumonia and sepsis (infection in the blood). He improved a little bit while in the hospital, but still had no energy after he was released.

He tried a pill-form of chemotherapy which was sort of a "hail Mary" in terms of treatment. The chemo was tough on him and his well-being continued to decline.

On November 23rd, we took him back to the hospital. A few days later, the doctors told my Mom to call her kids home as the situation was getting dire. It seemed that his cancer was finally getting the upper hand.

On Tuesday, November 27th, Dad said he was "ready to go." Something that we had never heard from him. Even my Sister, who is just a month away from giving birth to her first child, flew home from Vancouver, BC.

We began to make final preparations, both emotionally and logistically, over the following days. Dad was so weak and barely responsive. Even eating a cup of pudding would completely sap him of breath and energy. The doctors said that there was nothing more they could do in terms of treatment, instead just focusing on making him comfortable. Last Friday, the 30th, we brought him back home for hospice care.

But in the course of this whole process, it appears that someone forgot to tell Dad that he was dying.

He's really bounced back over the last few days. He's been eating well and acting like himself. We've had family time together that has been so precious. We're not really sure what this is, whether its some sort of miracle or whether it is just a "rally" that sometimes occurs when people are on hospice. Whatever it is, we're just enjoying it. He's the most perky his been in about three months.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Mom is doing a good job updating a Caring Bridge site on Dad's health (LINK HERE).

The Trip

A couple of weeks ago, I decided that I would be putting my adventure on an indefinite hold. Right now, I want to be fully focused on family. I'm in a unique position where I can be fully available, as I have no real commitments at this time.

I will finish this thing up, it's just not the right time right now. It does feel a little strange to be so close to my goal, but to hold off on completing it.

Me

Getting to my work has been a real challenge through this time. I'm a real mess of emotions right now. I still have a few posts to catch up on and am way behind in other correspondence. I have dozens of unreturned emails, comments and I haven't even checked facebook or my international phone in weeks. I think I'll feel better once I'm not so far behind.

I'll probably need to find a job and slip back into a fairly regular life during the coming months. It will be interesting to see how that all works out.

Finally, I'd just like to say another big thank you for all the support from so many people. I'm really overwhelmed with how many people have connected to my humble story. This is not the end, just a little pause. I would appreciate prayers for Dad and our family as we continue to navigate this process.

BA
  15. MotoBoss

MotoBoss Old Dog

Oddometer:
    Best regards Brett to you and yours. Prayers are with you, your father and family.
    techrider likes this.
  16. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    You've been 'almost everywhere' on this amazing journey, Brett. But in this moment, there's only one destination that counts: Home, with family. Your wonderful parents will be blessed by your support in this hour.

And when the skies clear and warming Spring breezes return, your ADV followers will be waiting for you to share the rest of the story.
  17. Daleah

Daleah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1
  18. interceptor1972

interceptor1972 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Prayers up for you, your dad and your family. Those can be tough times but having you there, close to family is what really matters at this time. Stay strong my friend!!

Manoj
    MizzouRider likes this.
  19. B10Dave

B10Dave Long timer

Oddometer:
    WOW; Brett, I don't know what to say. We almost lost my now 93 year old Dad to bowel cancer about five years ago. He wasn't ready to finish with life then and we still have him now. Prayers for your Dad and your family. Hoping for the best. Don't worry about anything concerning your trip. We will still be here to read about it even if it takes some time before you get back to it. Just know that you have many many friends out here in the ADV world that are truly concerned about how your Dad is managing.Prayers and good wishes to you and your family in these trying times....One of your many friends....Dave
    MizzouRider likes this.
  20. KiwiPewe

KiwiPewe Coddiwomple Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear that , but I hope he bounces back for good. MIL had just had her bowel cancer cut out this week, so I, as all the others here, understand that family comes first.
    Best wishes for you and your family , and hopefully a merry Christmas from the Land of the long white cloud.
    Kia kaha, my friend.
    MizzouRider likes this.