I've fitted a new rear tyre - dunlop d908 not listed on the dunlop sites

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Mouse, Dec 7, 2005.

1. b0mb3r

b0mb3r Old Git

Oddometer:
    the tyre if possable please
  2. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    katoum, I presume you want pictures of the tyre worn a bit? I will be doing about 280km tar this weekend followed by some considerable kms on gnarly rocks and then I will post pictures.
  3. b0mb3r

b0mb3r Old Git

Oddometer:
    nice one thanks Mouse
  4. Katoum

Katoum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No I never requested any pictures, that was the new Katoom.
    Getting to be a lot of of same name, spelled different, Kat***m's here.
  5. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    sorry mistaken identity...

The tyre now has had 4 tanks of fuel and a thrash through sand, gravel and rocks.

It is about 50% worn and holding up very well.

I am a little concerned about the way my bike is handling at the moment, its very twitchy in a straight line though fine cornering.

I don't think its the rear tyre yet but am gradually sorting it out.

I think, and let me state I'm no expert, that the rear is sitting high. I had new springs fitted front, supposed to be next size up - 0.5kg- but ever since I had my suspension done and tyres fitted at the same time I've not been entirely comfortable with the handling.

As said its just twitchy but I'd hate to ride it without a damper.

I've backed my rear preload of to 2 turns and that seems to settled it a bit which leads me to think that either the front has dropped or the rear is sitting too high.

As far as I am aware, and my dealer will confirm this tomorrow, the rear suspension is stock.

The front is bottoming out heaps more now... go figure!

So by my estimation either the rear tyre profile is too high thus reducing the rake (I think thats the angle measurement) or the rear suspension has been jacked up some how or the front springs are wrong.

Will inform as I sort it out.
  6. b0mb3r

b0mb3r Old Git

Oddometer:
    did u take any more pics ??? :evil
  7. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    being summer here I am on a beach holiday so no pics as yet. can report I've now put through about 9 tanks of fuel on this tyre and its holding up well enough, intact but showing wear. I'd expect it to last about 12 tanks if you ride hard.

I'm running it at 30psi and the traction on gravel is limited, it seems great in the wet tho. I'm still tuning my suspension so that may increase drive on gravel yet.

Back to civilisation next week and full report then plus pics.
  8. Goldhelocks

Goldhelocks You had me at "2 wheels"

Oddometer:
    Wow, that is a VERY cool tire. (Grunt grunt grunt!).... Ok, can someone convert those speed and load ratings into SAE/American? I LIKE it!

What does it ride like on the pavement? Looks like cornering might become a bit bumpy and slightly unstable? I'll bet it is a beast in the dirt though!

Goldhelocks
  9. b0mb3r

b0mb3r Old Git

Oddometer:
    look forward to seeing them mouse
  10. b0mb3r

b0mb3r Old Git

Oddometer:
    :cry no piccy yet
  11. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    next week I am going to a d908 front and rear and will post pics then. The tyre has about 3200km on it and about 75-80% worn and still has god shape on the knobs etc. Will also post a pic of the old tyre as it comes off.
  12. b0mb3r

b0mb3r Old Git

Oddometer:
    thanks Mouse ... how and did u get the tyre ???
  13. gbranham

gbranham Kool-aid Drinking Infidel KVNY Los Angeles

Oddometer:
    This tire is bad ass, mounted it today but seat height is up an inch and a half over the old Scorpian. Haven't ridden on it yet but it is bad ass looking. It's a 140/80 so I think circumference is bigger than stock but just as wide.
  14. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    it is significantly larger in diameter!!!

Shall be interested to hear what you think of it. I had to fiddle around with the suspension a bit to sort out the new ride height v handling.

I am now going to fit the front and new rear next week. They are available in Australia and now I guess US of A.
  15. gbranham

Oddometer:
    Yes, I just reread the previous threads on this so I'll be ready for the change in handling, I hope. No damper though. I got the tire from a local guy here who bought 6 of them down in Cali. I'm thinking about a Karoo for the front. Maybe it's taller than stock too, to even things out a little.
  16. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    Who did you get them through and do you have any pics?? Thanks!!
  17. gbranham

Oddometer:
    Hey James, His name is Rick Bozarth. He has his own dirtbike shop here in Portland. He went to some convention down in Cali someplace and tried to buy a bunch but they would only give him six, I think. His number is 503-255-8971. He'll ship. I paid $120. Still loving the seat by the way!...Gary...Pix are on page 1 of this thread.
  18. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    my ride next weekend (on a tour) should be about 1500km tar transport, about 1000km dirt and should give me a good view of the front.

I like the rear, its pretty well viceless except that its so much larger.

I set my bike up with an emig damper, 20 degree offset, the D908 rear and MT21 front all at once and took a little while to work out what was going on.

I felt it made a significant difference to the handling of the bike. I've noticed as the rear wears down the bike has become more stable again.

I also note that the MT21 doesn't look like it will last much longer than the rear.

Speed rating for D908 front and rear is 170kmh (R rating)
  19. gbranham

Oddometer:
    Just took a short ride. My preload is always set to minimum. I've cranked up the front preload a couple turns and turned the rebound damping up two clicks after a few months of owning the bike. I only weigh 160 lbs. so I probably should get a softer rear spring. Hopefully Ti if they're not too $$$$. Anyways, handling with the 908 rear is affected significantly. Not good or bad but different. I knew going in that getting a full dirt tire will change things so I'm not dissapointed. Mouse is right on with his description although my bike is fully stock suspension wise.
    There is a hum that goes in and out as harmonics and speed go up. I got up to 80 mph and felt fine even when leaned over so it's not a bad street tire in the short time I've ridden with it. I've not tried the TKC's. It would be an interesting comparison, although the 908 would probably be much better off road.
  20. Mr Happy

Mr Happy dIcKhEaD

Oddometer:
    Mouse: Perhaps I have trouble with the spelling of TYRE, however I think I can still manage this one: OXYMORON (read BULLSHIT).