I've fitted a new rear tyre - dunlop d908 not listed on the dunlop sites

Discussion in 'KTM 950/990' started by Mouse, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    2200km and my front was stuffed - the rear will outlast it.
  2. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    I'm have'n a hard time tell'n if there is sarcasim here or not. So is it a bad choice for a light dirt bike.
  3. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    agreed, yogoi, tho it may be too stiff in the sidewalls for a light bike. I'd be looking to differing tyres.
  4. potatoho

potatoho Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer:
    It doesn't work so well for me. Really twisty in the sand, seems to want to dig in and run it's own line. Feels a bit like I'm plowing snow until I get up to speed. I think I'll go ahead and change it out. For me, it seems like it is lasting forever.
  5. sTE610vE

sTE610vE First on the brakes, last on the gas...

Oddometer:
    I think the D606 on front and a D908 rear looks like a great dualsport combo. The 908 rear has more rubber down the center for a longer road life, I'm sure that makes it "float" off road but if you want offroad grip buy a straight knobby, the 908 front looks a little like the knobs are to small and spaced for a confidence on the tarmac...jm2cw...
  6. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing you've not tried putting most conventional knobbies on the 950 as it kills them pronto.

The 908 front works well enough but the knobs about 1/3 way off centre wear out pretty quickly.
  7. ktm wrench

ktm wrench motorcycle enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I've been running the D606 on the front for 10,000km on my 950 and it is bald on the right side, but still got 5mm on the left side. The middle knobs have become squashed, looking like mushrooms, ie. the tops of the knobs have become bigger than the bottom, if that makes sence. I think it handles dirt better than a TKC and about the same as a TKC on bitumen. I usually run about 24psi. It only cost about $100.00. Good value and I have bought another one.
    The 908 on the rear has 4,000km and is only 1/2 worn. I usually run about 28psi, I think it is a little bit better than a TKC in the dirt but not as good on the bitumen when new but about the same as it wears, not sure if I would buy another one but what other choise is there, both are about $250.00.
    I do solo, 2-up, dirt roads, bitumen, rocks, sand, commuting to work, the shopping, snakies on wet bitumen, monos, hi (170kph) and low speed touring fully loaded with camping gear, in fact I haven't used my car for a year.

Cheers Gilg's
  8. terry aust

terry aust Born again KTM owner

Oddometer:
    Gilgs, might want to try the K60 Heidenau because it sounds like you use the bike on all different surface. I have seen you ride and would like to see what you think, I am happy with the one I have so far.
    Cheers Terry
  9. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    Any thoughts to the compatibility of a TKC front and 908 RR rear.

I have both the 908's yet to fit them, and also a 1/3 worn TKC combo. Looking for decent off road performance, but also hunting up some paved roads on my way to the dirt. The 908 front looks scary esp twisties in vermont...
  10. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    I have had the 606 up front and I had a rear Desert. I just mounted the 908 rear and I'm going to leave the half worn 606 up front.

I run the 606 at 25 psi. the rear is hard as a rock at 25psi.:eek1 Im thinking of drop'n it down to 20psi. Im surprised to see that you were running it at 28 psi. Any reason why?
  11. ktm wrench

ktm wrench motorcycle enthusiast

Oddometer:
    The reason I run high pressures is I was hoping to protect the rim a bit, and to help against flats.
    I think you get better tyre mileage with the higher pressure as well.

Cheers Gilg's
  12. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    The front 908 I reported I is not the RR spec tyre which explains why I probably wore it out in 2200km.

The one I now have fitted is shown here but the one I tested and reported on previously was a different tread pattern and marked as a D908F manfactured in japan which i suspect may be the original fitment tyre to the wr450f.

I'm off for a 3000km desert ride so I'll report my view when I get back.
  13. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    Just returned from a 2000 mile trip with these tires. Mostly 40-80 mph logging roads, rutted and very wet. Lots of mud. Hard higway running with 100 lbs of gear plus 210 lb rider. Here's my thoughts.

• Yep, they do require a modest break-in time.
    • I aired up and down, and finally settled on 20/25 for most all riding.
    • They rip off road. I did about 1600 miles of fast logging roads, spinning and roosting the entire time. Rear still looks great, no chunking. Front looks okay. Easily another 1500 miles left in both. Tracks well and slides with precision.
    • very stiff sidewalls, kind of a pain to install, esp when you get a flat in the middle of black fly season in Northern Maine.:D
    • Contrary to others, i found this tire to be excellent on road. It has rained for the last two weeks I was on the trip and I pushed the bike hard on wet tarmac. Handled it fine with no issues or squirminess. They do buzz more then scorps. they don't handle as precictable as a TKC, as they tend to fall into corners much more readily, but once you are used to them, they are fine on road. I was very pleasantly surprised with their on road manners.
    • as reported, a real pucker factor when new driving faster then 80-85 mph. Whole bike goes into a slow motion tank slapper. Disappears with one hand on the bars and after time goes away. Seemed much worse with panniers loaded.
    • My front rim now has a few more flat spots from hard rock shots, no damage to tire whatsoever.
    • VERY pleased with these tires, esp considering the wear and conditiones I exposed them to. My buddy was running TKC's, the 908's smoked them in every situation, on and off road. (he was riding a 650 BMW:evil). I can't think of an instance when I would want to spend the money on TKC's for what you would give up to the 908's. Lots of road riding? Maybe. Currently I have Scorps, TKC's and 908s in the shed. I'm all for one extreme or the other. The 908's have earned a very enthusiastic thumbs up.:freaky
  14. Nightstalker

Nightstalker YO BUDDYPAL!

Oddometer:
    I just swapped my tires out. Put the Dunlap 908 on the rear and a Pirelli MT21 on the front.

More 908 pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was replacing a Pirelli MT21 on the rear and a Conti TKC 80 on the front. I had about 1700 miles on the MT21 with about 25-30% left and about 3400 miles on the TKC 80 which had acheived the notorious triangle wear pattern.

My immediate first impression of the 908 is that it's going to be much better on the road than the MT21, next week I'll put it to the real trail test.

List price for reference:
    MT21 $90
    908 $170

I had planned to install another MT21, but my dealer talked me into trying the 908, I'm glad he did!
  15. Dale950

Dale950 Long timer

Oddometer:
    $170 for the 908 that's cheap havn't seen em for less than $260 , If in Oz who has em for that price ?
  16. Speedzter

Speedzter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just guessing at the way he spells "Tire" , he's not from around here !!:rofl
  17. urbanoyster

urbanoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Tooph dude, (did I spelll it right this time?)

I got some RR's TIRES from Prorider. $252 for the rear, and $135 for the front.

The Urbmeister
  18. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Sorry mate, that's USD$.

19. Nightstalker

Oddometer:
    Did a 200 mile ride on the new tires this past weekend. Mostly road with some easy dirt roads. The MT21 and 908 combo was awesome!! I just can't say enough good things about that 908. WOW!

Big dirt ride coming up this weekend. Offroad report to follow.

tz

20. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    the mt21 front is a howling bloody thing that offers ordinary traction...

we just had the finke desert race on.

The ktm factory bikes removed the front part of the cross on the centre knobs to about 1/3 depth. I had a look at one after 240km race speed and it was not very worn and otherwise totally intact. They reckoned they get much better traction out of it in the sand with the knob cut away coincidentally.

The number one rider, wonka, for ktm (mounted on a 610 sx/exe good for reputedly 70hp) fell twice the first day and rode it for 160km with a flat rear and finished just 25 seconds behind the leader. Second day (which in this race is the 240km ourse run backwards) he had a big big off early on and rode the last 200 odd km heavly concussed to finish second overall.