I've got both the Inreach Mini and Spot X; ask me questions

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by fhammond, Jun 7, 2018.

1. HalcyonRider

HalcyonRider peaceful, prosperous, carefree

Oddometer:
    Just came off the COBDR using my inReach mini. It worked fantastically! There was one odd behavior I thought worth mentioning.

If I wrote a message using the Earthmate app. Sometimes it would hang in the system and be sent very delayed. I never seemed to have an issue sending presets or receiving messages. But you can see in my track below the anomolies caused by the delayed messages. I knew when it was going to happen because the app would say "problem sending location" and ask if I wanted to wait for GPS or send anyway. I imagine if I selected send anyway, it probably wouldn't have tracked so bad.

Overall, this was a minor issue because I wasn't in an emergency situation. And if I was I probably would be moving much.

I'm very happy with the inReach mini.[​IMG]
  2. Buckee

Buckee Scott

Oddometer:
    From my SPOT:

1) All OK, just checking in
    2) All OK but will be late, no worry
    3) No emergency but send help

The understanding is if she gets #3 once, it's mechanical help needed. Twice quickly means send med help.

The unwritten #4 of course is the SOS button.
    dad2bike likes this.
  3. rider911

rider911 Shortcut Navigator

Oddometer:
    Ive just bought the mini, and on the box it says "made for iPhone"
    Does anyone know exactly what that means?
    Are there functions on the Apple app that aren't available on the Android app?
    I was just about to tell Apple to shove their IOS dictatorship where the sun don"t shine
  4. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

lol, that's marketing !
  5. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you look carefully you will see that the Android robot is also on the back of the box, so fuck them too ;-)
    advmike.ca likes this.
  6. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Will the inReach mini perform well if I have it inside my jacket's pocket?
  7. motokeith

Oddometer:
    I've been carrying mine in the chest pocket of my Klim badlands Pro and it has been working just fine. Unlike the SPOT units, the inReach Mini has an actual antenna appendage so I don't think it's as sensitive about being orientated a particular way like the SPOT.
  8. Menhir

Menhir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use a similar set of messages:

1) I'm OK. Just checking in.
    2) I've reached my destination.
    3) I need roadside vehicle assistance. No emergency. Send help. Remember to let them know it's a motorcycle.
    4) SOS

I use the first one when I stop for gas or if I decide to go off-route. It's my way of letting Mrs. Menhir approximately where I am and that all is well. I'll check in a bit more often when I'm getting close to home so she can deduct if I'm going to arrive later (or earlier) than expected.

The second one is when I've arrived at my campsite or hotel. There have been times, before SPOT, when I told my wife I'd call her when I got to my daily destination and I found that there was no service. This way, she doesn't worry.

The third one is so she knows I'm personally OK, but I need a tow. Anything past that gets the SOS.

My daughter likes checking the web map in when she knows I'm on the road. She calls it the "daddy finder." :-)
    dad2bike likes this.
  9. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    The new one has an antenna.

[​IMG]
  10. Roux-80

Roux-80 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    With the inreach if you take the annual contract, like the safety plan, does the unused messages rollback the next month?
  11. max384

max384 Bandaided Supporter

Oddometer:
    With the ability to connect to my phone via the Earthmate app and being able to type out a message on the unit if the Bluetooth failed, I couldn't think of a good reason why I'd need presets. I never saved any presets, and when I stopped for the night, I texted my wife a regular message, filled her in on the day's ride, and she told me anything that happened that day on the home front. It was just like having cell reception, except that the messages were a bit delayed in comparison. To me, message presets on this device are a vestige of the past. YMMV though.
    advmike.ca likes this.
  12. Ocho NA

Ocho NA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It doesn't.
  13. Roux-80

Roux-80 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What are the tracking interval that can be set on the device? The safety plan is at 15$ a month in canada, no tracking included, but if you want it, its .15$ per tracking point so if I can set the tracking interval at 1 hrs, it wil be around 2.25$ a days for a whole big day of riding, still cheaper than the recreation plan, since I dont need tracking every time I go out.
  14. motokeith

Oddometer:
    The are actually two intervals related to tracking:

Log Interval is how often the device records it's position in its internal log: 1 sec, 1 minute, 2 minutes, 5 minutes

Send interval is how often the device reports it's position via satellite: 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours

Based on the behavior I've observed with my own device, I do believe it is the "send interval" that would dictate your .15c per track point. You can have the "log interval" set at high much higher frequency, like 1 minute, and that allows you to have a much more detailed and accurate track log that you can download from the device after the ride. Having the device paired to the Earthmate app on your phone, which I really recommend, makes it very easy to start/stop tracking and adjust these log intervals.
    HalcyonRider likes this.
  15. labenske

labenske Criminal

Oddometer:
    I've just picked up the inReach Mini. Did my first test this evening. When I'm logged into the inReach website I can see my track on the map. I see all the Tracking Points (every 10 minutes). My problem is that I've enabled the social site, but nothing shows up... it's public.

Any ideas what I'm missing to get my tracking points to show up on the public MapShare site?
  16. motokeith

Oddometer:
    I took a guess that your mapshare name is the same as your name here and I see 7 tracks from 9/12 to 9/16
  17. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I don't see a reason to include a breakdown/send help message as one of your three free ones, given how unlikely you'll need to use it. In the event you do need it, it's $0.40 to send (or free if you have one of the higher plans). If you need to think about if spending 40 cents before sending for help, you should probalby just stay home.

I'll be picking one of these up soon, I think my three presets would be something like:
    1) Heading out now
    2) Stopped for the night
    3) Taking a rest, everything's ok

3 of your presets are free to send, so that's the main reason to use them. I think you also get another 10 presets that are not free, but with how cumbersome it is to type on the device, they'd be useful to have in case you couldn't use your phone for some reason. For me, I would see keeping the phone on the bike (I use it for nav) and the device on me. If I got tossed from the bike, or fell down a ravine trying to take a roadside photo, or whatever, I'd be glad I could message easily on the device.
    max384 likes this.
  18. outdoorsman

outdoorsman Lets Ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
    This thread helped me made up my mind to get the Inreach mini. Thanks all!
  19. fhammond

fhammond Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve had to use the SOS button on my Iridium a few years ago and the experience caused me to change my third preset to “SOS you received was not for me. I am ok.”

A few years ago, I came across a rider in Death Valley who’d crashed and was unconscious. I sent out an SOS from the Iridium which got help quickly but in the process, I also freaked out my wife who got my SOS. Ever since then, I’ve used the third slot as a way to use the SOS and quickly tell her that I’m ok.
    Bayner, ADVwxyz, max384 and 2 others like this.
  20. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    That's definitely a good preset to have - not because it will be used often, but the need to get it out quickly is important. That said, I'd still choose to have that as one of my 10 non-free presets since it will rarely, if ever be used.