I've got both the Inreach Mini and Spot X; ask me questions

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by fhammond, Jun 7, 2018.

1. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh, that's good to know! I keep mine on a cheap plan most of the time, then upgrade to one of the all inclusive plans for trips, so free messages hadn't occurred to me.
  2. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Speaking of doing that, I was planning on doing the same, mostly because I'll want to send tracking points during a trip (once a year or so), but that won't be needed the rest of the year. Do you charged a fee for moving up and down subscription plans?

I also should note that the plans are a little different than I remember. I had thought the cheapest plan didn't include any custom texts, only the presets. Turns out you get 10, so you may not even have to pay the $0.50 to send it. You also get 20 of those non-free presets, so you could cover a lot of scenarios. I could see things "Mechanical breakdown" if your location is on the side of the road and not moving, to differentiate from a crash. "Going for a hike" if your location looks to be in the middle of the woods. If you're stopped somewhere to eat or rest, the map should be able to show your loved ones it's a place to eat, or a hotel, or campground, or whatever.
  3. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Moving up a plan is free. Going down costs $25. Most of the year I keep on the safety plan for $12 per month, which includes 10 texts and tracking points cost 10 cents apiece. When I take a long trip, I go up to the expedition plan, which includes unlimited tracking and texts.

I almost always forget to change back to the safety plan right away and end up paying an additional month or two. I'm actually thinking it may be cheaper in the long run to just stick to the safety plan and pay the per message and per tracking point cost on the trips. I'll have to look at my past usage and determine how much it would cost me...
  4. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    That was my understanding as well. So if a trip fits within a single month billing cycle, you'll be looking at $38 to go up to the Recreation Plan and then back down (I don't think I'd need unlimited texting, but maybe...). If you stick with the Safety Plan, that buys you 76 messages, or 380 tracking points. If you set tracking to 30 min intervals, that covers you for about 3 weeks of 8 hours/day tracking. If you set tracking to 1 hr intervals, you could track an entire 30 day trip and still have 28 additional messages (plus the 10 free ones you get).

Going up to the expedition plan, you could fund even more. The $63 gap gets you 126 messages, or 630 tracking points. For a moto trip, I don't think I could use that many unless I really felt I needed 10 minute tracking, which seems overkill.

If your trip spans two billing periods, the difference is obviously even greater.

I'll probably stay on the Safety Plan, set tracking to 1 hr intervals for most of the trip, and up it to 30 min intervals for especially remote/sketchy travel.
  5. ADVwxyz

ADVwxyz yep Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    On the web based mapshare Account, you will find an email- “Youremailhandle”@inreach.garmin(delorme).com.

They email that and that goes to the inreach. Coach users to treat it as an SMS or Twitter type of message, only so many characters...

Further, you can message inreach direct to inreach using sat network only. You need the inreach device ID’s I believe, update them into your online contact list- then, update your phone using the garmin app. This way if you separate from your riding partners... they can msg you. Came in handy in Baja when a rider went down with broken leg and the lead group had to return.
    RJAMT likes this.
  6. Green Boy

Green Boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great thread with lots of useful observations in it.

One question: I get that the Inreach will pair with an iPhone etc so that it works with the app via Bluetooth but will it also act like a GPS and show real time positions on say Google maps or other nav apps? Just toying with the idea of using a WiFi only iPad mini as a GPS but need a GPS signal source and thought if the Inreach did this it would be super cool.
  7. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    It will do it on Garmin's own app and map. Not sure it will talk to other map software.

You can cache google maps onto any device ahead of time and use only the GPS to show your position on it. I do this when traveling abroad or into to areas where I know cell service will be spotty.

Do WiFi iPads not have a GPS receiver? I thought they did... If not, there are small and cheap-ish GPS receivers you can plug in to your iPad.
    Green Boy likes this.
  8. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    the Garmin will only send gps info over their own application ie, it is not a fully featured Bluetooth pairing line what you get between phone/desktop. the app is required. i tested this at a store demo, they may have updated the firmware since then but i seriously doubt Garmin allowing full Bluetooth access without their proprietary app ;-)

check out the Garmin glo, badelf , or similar if you want an external device with Bluetooth to feed your iPad gps/glonass info. or you can just pair it with your phone and use it's gps/glonass to feed the iPad. there are wired dongles also, but i doubt you want that hanging off the bottom of the iPad, while motorcycling :-)
  9. deeve

deeve Adventure Lite

Oddometer:
    Will the Spot X allow gps info to all apps?
  10. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this was asked yet, but can you pair your phone to both this and a bluetooth headset at the same time?
  11. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah no problem, bluetooth supports multiple device connections. I run with my iPhone paired to the inReach and my Sena headset. I also occasionally have the inReach in my truck in which case my phone is paired to the inReach and the hands-free system in my truck. Oh come to think of it, I'm frequently wearing my Apple watch, so in reality it's three devices paired.
  12. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    As it turns out, I got another bike so my boy can ride with me again. We used to each carry a SPOT. I since sold off his unit as he hadn't ridden in several years.
    I see an opportunity to have both the In-Reach and the SPOT gen 2 for our needs.

I now this thread was started about the mini. However it seems to have encompassed a bunch of info on the system as a whole.

Before I jump for the purchase I have a several questions to guide me.

With the prices for new units so high is it worth it to get the delorme version of In-Reach? Garmin keeping up to date with the new units?
    Considering the Se or the Explorer.

Opining a bit. I wish they would come out with a version with the texting etc and also have phone service in the background at a premium rate for those serious emergencies that you really want to talk with somebody. Like getting guided thru CPR or other first responder stuff. Cost be damned at those times.
  13. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Can't help with the phone option, but there are first aid apps for your phone that can walk you through some things.
  14. JustAnotherDude2

JustAnotherDude2 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I liked the OP's free preset messages (below). They cover most situations mentioned above as well as two instances of SOS being sent.

dad2bike likes this.
  15. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    mbabc likes this.
  16. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    Obviously you can configure yours however you like, but my point was I'm going to use my free presets for the kind of stuff I plan on sending all the time - the "happy" path, if you'd like - and not waste any on something I don't expect to encounter.

On any given ride, I expect to start out, be doing OK, stop to eat, and then get home late because I have poor planning skills - hence, "Everything is OK", "Stopping here for a bit", and "Running late", or some similar combination.

I don't expect to have a mechanical breakdown or need the SOS button for myself or anyone else with any regularity. And if any of those scenarios were to occur, you'd likely end up needing to send & receive custom messages, anyway, and the minimal additional cost of doing so would be well worth the price. Keep in mind you can have up to 20 "preset" messages which don't count as free ones, but do allow you to get a message out quickly. I do have a few made up that cover scenarios, like breakdowns, using the SOS for someone else, or to let someone know that I'm injured and need help but not life-threatening.
    Addapost and dad2bike like this.
  17. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is brilliant and having now read it I'm thinking, "duh! No shit! Why didn't I think of this." THIS is the right way to do it. Thanks
  18. RealOldDualSportGuy

RealOldDualSportGuy You Played it for her, you can play it for me Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very Informative

Thanks
  19. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok I just activated my new mini. I put the Eartmate app on my phone, edited all my info on the Garmin website, paired the unit to the phone, sent a couple free messages as tests etc. Everything went fine and seems to be very user friendly except for one thing that I can't figure out:
    I cannot find the 3 custom preset messages on the Earthmate app. The other generic messages that Garmin starts you with are there on the app but not the three unlimited presets. At least I cannot find them. I have to use the unit itself to send those. Why? Shouldn't I be able to use the App to send the 3 unlimited messages? What am I missing?
  20. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    You cannot send the 3 free presets messages from the app, only the unit. You can program up to 20 quick texts, which aren't free, but can be sent from the unit or the app.