I've got both the Inreach Mini and Spot X; ask me questions

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by fhammond, Jun 7, 2018.

1. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    Yes, online. There's quite a bit of functionality you can't do on the app, accessing anything about those 3 free is one of them.

Other stuff you can't do in the app is program routes - so you can't create them on the fly, unfortunately.
    dad2bike likes this.
  2. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did they ever come up with a powered cradle for the mini?
    Having a powered cradle is the only reason I've considered the Explorer.

I'm hoping with the new Garmin 66i out the others may become a bit cheaper to get.
  3. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    For curiosity, what's the reason for a powered cradle? The screen is too small and limited to use for any real navigation, and a device like this is better served on me than on the bike, in my opinion.
    Wreckchecker and kickstandsup like this.
  4. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes I was asking about SENDING the 3 free presets from the App. Okay, can’t do it, that’s what it looked like. Thanks for the confirmation. It would be nice to do that but whatever. Fantastic system otherwise. Thanks again.
  5. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    Presently with my SPOT I just carry extra batteries. The unit is on my handlebar. I can see the flashing lights to know when to stop and swap them out. With the inreach it is internal rechargeable battery. If I forget the charge it in the motel overnight then I'm possibly screwed the next day.
    I run a Montana with a powered cradle so it is always fresh as well.

With my son returning to being my riding partner I can either get another SPOT again or get the inreach to add those capabilities while I'm at it. Been looking at the Explorer for the powered cradle. I just can't bring myself to put that kind of dough out for the unit. The mini has half the battery life hence more chance for me to screw up and forget to charge it. Of course I can plug in a usb power brick.

Sorry if that was a little long winded. :shog
  6. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    I'm still using SPOT like you :), but it would seem the best solution is to make sure you have some way to charge the Inreach while you're riding. Stick it in your tank bag, plug it into a USB charger mounted to your handlebars, fer instance? I dunno. Took the SPOT on a trip last week, worked fine, but I stayed one night in a very small town in the middle of nowhere that had no cell phone service. I had been expecting to be able to talk to my wife at home, but could only send her the SPOT's canned "I'm OK" message. She was fine with that, but I wished again that I had an Inreach with me and could actually communicate with her via live text messages.

We're all caught up in this increasingly "instant" world...sometimes I'd like to get off but it's hard to avoid.
    dad2bike likes this.
  7. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    @dad2bike not long winded at all, but I'd also suggest what @HardWorkingDog said. I can charge mine in my tankbag via a USB cable, and for long trips I also bring a power brick so I can use that to charge it as well.

I know the battery life is not long on the Mini, but given we're using it on motorcycles I've not seen that as a huge problem. I've used mine a handful of times and only charged the battery once because it got to 50%. Couldn't tell you the number of hours it was on by that point.
  8. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    I scored an in reach mini in the FM today.
    I'll be getting back with you looking for help in set up and ideas. Thanks for having this thread.
  9. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    Battery

• Type: lithium-ion (internal) rechargeable
    • Replaceable? Sort of (see review below for details)
    • Capacity: 1250 mAh
    • Manufacturer-claimed battery life: Up to 50 hours at 10-minute tracking with 2-minute logging (default); up to 30 hours at 10-minute tracking with 1-second logging; up to 20 days at the 30-minute interval power save mode; and up to 1 year when powered off
    https://backpackinglight.com/garmin-inreach-mini-review/
  10. JMforPres

JMforPres Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just go my Inreach Mini back from Garmin. The battery had gone bad and it would not charge. I spoke with Garmin Support and had a replacement in about 4 days. I'm happy with Garmin's support but am worried about the batter longevity.

Is there a robust Ram mount for the Mini?

Jon
  11. AllSeasonRider

Oddometer:
    https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-GA76U
    JMforPres likes this.
  12. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    I’ve been on 2 smallish trips this summer, both solo. Both times I carried my SPOT gen3, both times I wound up spending the night in a place that I expected to have cell service so I could check in on my wife at home, recovering from an injury. And of course, neither place did. :baldy

InReach Mini would've been a perfect solution. It will be on my next trip.
    Wreckchecker likes this.
  13. Addapost

Oddometer:
    My Mini seems to have just locked up. I had it charging off of a pocket juice power source which I’ve dine many times, and when it was done I unplugged it. Like always, when pulled off external power it shuts down. When I powered it back up it started to go through it’s boot up sequence telling you to always test it before using it blah blah blah, and it locked on the page that says, “Warning Messaging and tracking requires an active subscription.” I cannot get it out of that screen. It also won’t power down. None of the buttons work. Any ideas?
  14. Addapost

Oddometer:
    Garmin support to the rescue! All set now. Called a “soft reset” hold the power and back buttons for 15 seconds. It unfroze it.
    SebRex13, JMforPres and dad2bike like this.
  15. JMforPres

Oddometer:
  16. Addapost

Oddometer:
    InReach mini question: I just finished a 35 day trip. I used the mini. I had it set to record my position every 1 second and send my position every 10 minutes. It flawlessly sent each 10 minute position which then accurately showed on the map page that people at home used to follow me. My question now is, how do I get the full tracks, with the 1 second intervals, off the device? There is nothing I see on the Earthmate App. And when I plug the mini into my MacBook computer I don't see anything there either. I assume the device recorded my tracks at 1 second intervals but I don't see where that information exists. Thanks
  17. JMforPres

Oddometer:

Jon
  18. nibby

nibby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Question re above - Is it possible to record every 1 second but NOT send position every 10 mins? I ask because I don't want to pay for the sending of position but I've read that when connected to wifi/data the inreach will sync with your Garmin Connect account and you can use this to allow people to view your location status?? Is this correct or way out?? Cheers.
  19. Addapost

Oddometer:

Yes, all of that is correct. There are 4 different subscription plans to chose from to use the Mini, you have to subscribe to one of them. The only plan that charges for sending "Tracking Points" to the satellites is the basic, cheapest "Safety Plan". None of the other three plans charge at all for any "Tracking Points" sent up to the satellite. So you must be referring to that specific plan. On the device itself you can select from several different send "Tracking Point" intervals: 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour, 2 hours, 4 hours, or "off". So it sounds like if you had that Safety Plan and didn't want to pay to upload "Tracking Points" to the satellites you would select "off" in the Mini's menu and it wont send any.

That is different than the "Log" interval. That is just how often the device records your position in its own memory. You have options there too. None of those have a cost associated with them, Log interval only affects battery life. This is the information I was asking about. Turns out it automatically (for free) uploads to your Garmin page when you are on USB/wifi/bluetooth/magic whatever. I plugged my Garmin into my computer and somehow my Garmin page has received my full trip data from the device without me having to actually do anything.

Fantastic device.
  20. nibby

nibby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Addapost - thanks for the info - yes it's the basic plan that I'm going to sign up for at the moment so it's good to know that I can log everything and although not as good as using the tracking points to send from the device It might still be possible depending on my mobile signal or access to wifi etc, to allow someone with my garmin login info to view my location if/when they want.

If It's 100% needed I can upgrade plans but for the moment I'm going to use the device to send preset texts when I don't have signal and use it for emergency situation if needed. Seems like a no brainer to carry one to me, especially if riding alone.

Cheers
    Addapost likes this.