I've got both the Inreach Mini and Spot X; ask me questions

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by fhammond, Jun 7, 2018.

1. KTM 1190advR

KTM 1190advR Enema of the state Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don’t think it fits the mini but happy to be proven wrong. I have the mini and ordered a bike mount from Garmin that was described as compatible with the mini and of course it wasn’t... the mount’s "slide’n click" looks identical to the Ram, only problem is there are no slots on the back of the mini...

Edit: I’m an idiot obviously, never found the spine that came with the Mini, now that I actually looked for it in the box I found it...
  2. JMforPres

JMforPres Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The spine mount comes with the Mini, it has the slots needed. Once installed the mount woks well.

Jon
    KTM 1190advR likes this.
  3. KTM 1190advR

KTM 1190advR Enema of the state Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, knew there was something weird. Managed now to find the box it came with a year ago, inside was that mount you mention...:fpalm
    HardWorkingDog likes this.
  4. Jayinbend

Jayinbend n00b

Oddometer:
    Trip Log question: I was on the Idaho BDR and had the Inreach Mini plugged into my USB. I did this about half way into my trip to charge it and at a stop, turned off the bike and did some business. When I came back the unit was off and the cumulative trip time and trip distance was erased. Is there a setting that would prevent this from happening or to switch to battery power? Otherwise it worked flawlessly!!
  5. Ken in Regina

Ken in Regina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There should be two separate trips for that ride. Ie: the data for the first part of the trip shouldn't have been erased, just stored and a new trip started.

This shouldn't be an issue for you. You didn't go anywhere in between so distance is just the total of the two. The time from the end of the first trip to the start of the second is your down time.

If it would be useful to have them as a single trip, Garmin's Basecamp planning utility for the PC has the tools to combine multiple trips. There are also third-party apps that will do it.

...ken...
  6. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    just activated my mini, headed out tomorrow for a couple weeks. 2 questions after activating

1. I thought a contact could initiate a text message to my device but it looks like they can only reply to my text? If I initiate a text message, can't they keep replying throughout the trip _ I started with the basic "safety" plan since I don't have anyone to follow me when traveling so I need only a few texts per month. Or is there something about a map where they can locate me and initiate a message? But do I have to have "tracking" turned on for this to work?

2. the "preset" messages are free (and I can change them up) but the "quick" messages count against my monthly limit (and I can change them too)?

sry, more than 2 questions, maybe I'm making this too complicated.

EDIT _ answered my 2nd question re PRESET vs QUICK, the latter counts towards my monthly allowance
  7. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you initiate the messaging they can keep replying but the "link" does expire. I've forgotten the time interval, a couple of weeks if not more before you would have to do another send.
    PineyMountainRacing likes this.
  8. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm heading out on a 1 week Father Son ride around the state on Sunday morning.
    Last night got the Inreach SE activated. Set up my 3 preset messages and my share page.

For the 1 week trip I'll be running both the SPOT and the Inreach. Here's the share pages to compare in the end.
    Right off the bat I think I'll lose day 1 on the SPOT page as they only show the last 7 days.

https://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=08iGCJ7r99Dj2LNiHWzeMvLurzp3ypij2

https://us0-share.inreach.garmin.com/dad2bike

I'll be carrying around the inreach today to see how it updates on the page.

Once I'm all comfy with the inreach I'll pass on the SPOT to my son for future rides for when we separate.

Quick question- With the SPOT I could have the messages sent to a cell or email. It seems like the Inreach is email only. Am I wrong?
  9. ramz

ramz Professional Trail Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are wrong. I send text messages to my wife's phone every ride.

PS I'm watching you. You haven't traveled much so far....
    [​IMG]

Should I ignore the test message: "Need retrieval from this location." etc ???

:ricky
    dad2bike likes this.
  10. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    Sitting for breakfast. :lol3
    I sent a preset message that was an email. It had a ton of info. Location, url, text. I'll have to try adding a cell number to the list.
    We leave Sunday morning. Still plenty of stuff to get done.
    Edit- I intend to use the preset like I did on my SPOT and save the 40 text messages for events that require it.
  11. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    Here's a question for the collective- Is there a way to do a public share page and a private share page? While on a trip it is helpful for my wife or daughter to message me in an emergency.
    But having that button open to the public is very risky using a plan with message limits. :ear

EDIT-After discussion with my wife. There's nothing I can do until I'm back in a town again which would have cell coverage. No need for me to get hurt trying to get to the next town/ coverage on our trip. Family will stick to regular texting unless I send a private text from the inreach.

Some initial feedback on the SPOT and Garmin share differences. I was happy how well I've gotten comfortable with the inreach. The Mapshare page takes much more effort to use rather than just a simple page like SPOT. Of course with more options comes more work. Each trip I go on will take setup changes. Just one more thing on the to do list for a ride.
  12. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can disable the "test-from-map" feature (whatever it's called). That is on your account's map page or maybe your contact page. Only people who you give your contact info to can text you. Or if you were to inreach text someone else who didn't have your contact info they could then respond back.
    dad2bike likes this.
  13. smiller

smiller Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The 'can people send me a message from my public Mapshare page' setting is on the 'Social' tab of your InReach web setup page, under 'Mapshare Settings'. As above, if desired you can turn this off and then send a message to the people that you do want to be able to send you messages and they can then just reply to that message as desired. In order to save custom text messages you can initially send them a free preset/canned message to their phone SMS address to establish the link, then they can then just reply to that if they want to send a message to your InReach (the temporary SMS reply address that they receive should be good for several weeks at least.)
    dad2bike likes this.
  14. dad2bike

Oddometer:
    We are still out on the road. Feed back from friends the in reach map share is winning the side by side comparison easy.
    I've been using my preset OK message often. I really like the acknowledge tone I get.
    If you want to look at them side by side go back a few posts where I put both links up.
  15. smiller

smiller Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just received an email update from Garmin, looks like there is no longer a $24.95 fee to downgrade on an annual InReach plan. When changing plans the change will be effective immediately and you will be charged or credited a pro-rated amount based on the new plan rate, and again no fee to downgrade. Nice! It is not clear from the email message how often you can do this (i.e. is there a one month minimum after a change, etc.)

This change makes the annual plan as flexible as the monthly plan, at a lower price per month (assuming you want annual service, and for me 'always on' is the only way to go.) This should make the annual plan much more attractive for some users, no doubt what Garmin had in mind.
    dad2bike likes this.
  16. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    That's good news!

I just recently bought a Mini and took it on a trip. Worked well. I admit I was surprised how small it is, and my initial thought was the text entering capability was useless and I was beginning to doubt my choice. The genius move by Garmin was the bluetooth connection to a smartphone. Entering text is all done on my phone and it worked perfectly.
    SebRex13 and dad2bike like this.
  17. Garnet Grylls

Garnet Grylls Old Low and Slow

Oddometer:
    Sounds like thrre's a little price war brewing.

Spot just lowered the Spot X basic service price to match that of a Gen 3 plus added monthly plans.

I was told by Spot yesterday that if I can transfer the balance of my anual Gen 2 contract to an X and they will upgrade it to Unlimited at no charge.
  18. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    If both parties are far from cell coverage can these things send messages to each other? Next month my daughter and I will both be in 2 different parts of rural Myanmar. It'll be the first time we'll be separated in different war zones* and so I wanted to get something we could communicate with each other in an emergency and know where she's at.

Can the 66i send text messages/location to the Inreach mini?

I know many think highly of Garmin support. But I'm hoping whichever products I get don't need Garmin support. It's been my personal experience that their support is indeed helpful WHEN YOU GET BACK TO CUSHY CIVILIZATION/cell phone service! Kind of like a parachute that didn't open with a company happy to explain their new update so the next one wont. In the past, I've found nothing as rock solid as a 60CSx for NOT needing to be updated/reliability etc. I'm kind of hoping these emergency devices don't need to be unfrozen/updated in a place that's impossible to do so and you're very dependent on them?

*I work for an NGO that relief work in disaster areas/war zones. 99% of the fighting has stopped in the place my daughter will be + she'll be with some of the most amazing SF guys on the planet! (This footnote is my meager attempt to show I am a responsible parent!)
    Buckee likes this.
  19. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nothing is perfect, even the black shit the SF guys use. Good luck to you guys, sounds like lives well lived!
  20. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    It looks like the 66i has gps sat-based 2-way text messaging, so I'd say yes, they (the inReach & 66i) should be able to communicate with each other using gps only. But don't take my word--I'm just some guy on the 'net.

My recommendations--get them set up ("activation" was a pain, and not particularly user friendly) and practice sending messages to each other well before you head out. There is a basic learning curve that you'll need to get over, and best not try to be learning how to use it in the middle of an urgent situation. Also, the inReach can take a few minutes to lock on to the sat system, and messaging isn't instantaneous like we're used to in cushy civilization/cell phone use.
    rickypanecatyl likes this.