I've got both the Inreach Mini and Spot X; ask me questions

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by fhammond, Jun 7, 2018.

1. 250senuf

250senuf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Maybe slightly off; I have the Delorme inReach SE and have sent/received messages with someone with the same device, so I'm guessing you two should be able to. Some messages were delayed because they sent when in dense cover but went out once they got to more open terrain.Test it before leaving civilization?
    HardWorkingDog typed faster
  2. smiller

smiller Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any two InReach devices can send messages directly to each other. It has nothing to do with GPS, the messages are transmitted solely within the Iridium network.
    rickypanecatyl likes this.
  3. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Got it. I didn’t realize Iridium was a completely separate mesh of satellites.
  4. smiller

smiller Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In order to send messages directly between InReach units, go to the 'Account' tab on your InReach web page and look for your InReach Address, it will look like <something>@inreach.garmin.com. This is the address that others should use when sending you a message from their InReach device to your InReach device. (Note that even though this appears to be a valid email address it cannot be used outside of the InReach network, the only way external users can send a message is via the web page or by responding to a message you previously sent.)
    HardWorkingDog and 250senuf like this.
  5. Garnet Grylls

Garnet Grylls Old Low and Slow

Oddometer:
    Can someone reply to a preset message?
  6. smiller

smiller Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes. Sending a preset message is a good and free way to provide someone a way to send messages to you.
    Garnet Grylls likes this.
  7. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can confirm this. I just looked at an OK message I sent on my last trip. There's a link to a share page that gives the option of reply.
  8. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    Huh. Really appreciate you pointing this out. I assumed it was a valid email address and had my wife put it in her address book as a way to reach me. (I confirmed it isn't a valid email address just now by trying to send myself a message using <me>@inreach.garmin.com. Didn't get to my inReach account although I never received an <invalid address> error, either.)

I'll make sure that anyone who needs to reach me while I'm in the boonies understands this.

...did I miss this important bit of information discussed in the owners's manual? I thought I'd RTFM, but if it's in there it didn't register...
  9. Garnet Grylls

Oddometer:
    Another noob question:

Can you set up presets to go to different people?

As in: I'm OK goes to person A
    and : I'll be an hour late goes to person B
  10. dad2bike

dad2bike Retired! Cranky Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes. You can send to different numbers as well as emails. Mine are mixed and vary. I also include my email in the list so l to confirm the message went out. Leftover from my SPOT usage.
  11. smiller

smiller Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The owner's manual is very basic and minimally useful. The web site has more info but you do sometimes have to dig a bit for information.
  12. XFlyBoy

XFlyBoy n00b

Oddometer:
    Can an Inreach mini communicate directly with a spot x? I am thinking of buying an Inreach and some of the local towing recovery outfits have spot x.
  13. Garnet Grylls

Oddometer:
    If you their Spot X dedicated phone number and you put it in your contacts list then I don't see why not.
  14. PatrickG450

PatrickG450 point, aim and twist

Oddometer:
    I have a InReach Mini, using the safety freedom plan. When I log into my account I was able to set up 2 sets of messages. Preset and Quick text Messages, I get unlimited preset messages. Does this apply to BOTH Preset and Quick Text?
  15. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    No. Quick text just saves time, but is charged as a regular message.
  16. SK_in_AB

SK_in_AB LOOKin to GS

Oddometer:
    This was a very helpful thread for me. I have Spot3 and was thinking of getting the X for the keyboard and return text features. I think right now in Canada it is $250 vs >$400 for the Inreach and the new plans are monthly or annual and similar cost.

so my question is whether the keyboard pauses referred to in the early posts have been fixed on the SpotX..... I thought I heard they had done an upgrade to that. With the above comments on how to develop a series of common texts I’m now thinking the keyboard is less critical but still useful

Also have recent buyers of the X experienced any failure to send events? That for me would be a dealbreaker

PS: Mapping or tracking features are not a big deal for the type of riding I do. I really just want the check in return texts and of course SOS
  17. halejl

halejl Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I’m also leaning towards the SpotX. Where do you carry it? Does it work from inside a jacket pocket as I understand the Inreach Mini does?
  18. trailrider383

trailrider383 867-5309

Oddometer:
    I carry mine in my hydration pack at the top clipped to a loop so it hangs with the antenna pointing up.
  19. HardWorkingDog

Oddometer:
    As do I. Has always worked well. It stays inside the pack for a bit of protection.
  20. RonkoRider

RonkoRider Wrong Island, NY Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can someone give me a estimate of the charges to activate an Inreach? It sounds like it’s going to cost almost $200 a year to run (Activation and monthly fees). How does the freedom plan work? As usual, Garmins website is for sh*t with these details
  21. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This page and links from this page should have the answers to all your questions. https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=QK8DnECaKb0JVz1ep2zKI6

As you know there are 6 different plans to choose from- three in the annual subscription and 3 in the Freedom plan. If you have one of the Freedom plans they do charge you $25 a year to maintain that in addition to whatever monthly charges you have for activating your subscription. I have the mid-level Freedom plan (called Recreation) and it's $35 a month. It costs nothing to turn it on and off whenever I want. When you do turn it on it is for month long increments. So if you need it for 5 weeks you will pay for two full months. I only use mine in the summer so I turn it on in June and turn it off in September or so. So for me to have it active for three months its- $25 (annual fee) + (3 months x $35) = $130 total. Just keep adding $35 for every month you have it active. If you are going to need it all year long then one of the Annual plans is probably the way to go. Hope that is clear.
    HardWorkingDog likes this.