I've got S.O.A.L.!

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by motojunky21, Aug 24, 2019.

1. motojunky21

motojunky21 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMG_20211010_171434.jpg New version 9/30/21. Simplified the number of tracks, now one main track with options all color coded. Magenta main, red harder options, green shortcut to Bainbridge, blue Greenfield/Dayton connector IMG_20190804_140819.jpg This is what I call the Southern Ohio Adventure Loop, an approximately 190 mile loop from the Paint Creek area down through Shawnee State Forest area and back. Lots of good dirt,gravel and plenty of hills, a few creek crossings. Most of it is big bike friendly except for maybe Tobe Lewis Rd south of Blue Creek. Some cool natural features can be seen at the Seven Caves (Appalachian Forest Museum), the Chalet Nivale nature preserve,the Davis Memorial State nature preserve and the Shoemaker nature preserve is just off the route. The Copperhead fire tower in Shawnee is must do, one of the few that you can still climb. The Pike State Forest APV riding area is also on the route if you want a little more of a challenge . While not directly on the route but close by is evidence of use of the area by native Americans. Serpent mound is on 73, Fort Hill State Memorial is just of 41, and Seip Mound is on 50 just east of Bainbridge. While I routinely run this in 5 1/2 to 6 hours on my KLR, I would count on it taking quite a bit longer especially in you are a group and stop to explore some of the cool stuff along the route. Could easily be made into a great overnighter. Gets better the farther south you go, lots of good stuff down around Shawnee. Fuel and food available at the Blue Creek general store. Https:www.bluecreekgeneralstore.com which is about 80 miles from Greenfield, and if you pass by the Country Crust Bakery when they are open I highly recommend their sandwiches. Food and fuel also available in Latham and Bainbridge. Watch out for Amish buggys and bikes on the northwest part. Some great viesws, especially when the leaves begin to fall. Best dirt on the Western side. I prefer counterclockwise but mix it up for a change of pace. Plenty of parking available at the Paint Creek dam off of Rapid Forge road if you need to trailer. There are cabins that can be reserved right on the route at the Appalachian Forest museum, www.arcofappalachia.org and camping is available at Pike and Shawnee State Parks. Please be respectful as these are public roads and run by people's houses, children and pets. Check back to make sure you have the latest version. See how to get your free SOAL stickers on page 5 of this thread. If you like the SOAL, you should check out page 6 for more adventure. Also be sure to check out https://advrider.com/f/threads/southern-eyes-trail-il-in.1441498 and https://advrider.com/f/threads/south-east-indiana-loop.1480034 EDIT: GPX last updated 9/30/21. Simplified the number of tracks, one main track with options

Attached Files:

2. motojunky21

Oddometer:
  3. OhioKLR

OhioKLR When in doubt, throttle out

Oddometer:
    Nice, I was just at this tower a couple weeks ago
    motojunky21 likes this.
  4. wb416

wb416 Experienced pavement, n00b off-road

Oddometer:
    I was just checking out your tracks. Looks like a great loop. What does the Optional track feature? I can't really tell from google maps.

Thanks, Bob
  5. motojunky21

Oddometer:
    Just a slightly different route featuring a steep rocky hillclimb or decent, depending on which way your going. I prefer counter clockwise.
    wb416 likes this.
  6. wb416

Oddometer:
    I had an opportunity today to ride the Northwest section of the route between Rt 32 (Peebles) to Rt 50. I had no idea there were MABDR-like roads in southern ohio other than the fire roads in Shawnee. I'm looking forward to riding other sections of it as time allows. Thanks for the tracks!
    72478304_10156665246645835_2423056837134778368_n.jpg 72567293_10156665246455835_5602456788029931520_n.jpg 74579085_10156665246415835_366548937290547200_n.jpg 74701693_10156665246600835_4788407249594744832_n.jpg
  7. motojunky21

Oddometer:
    Glad you are enjoying the tracks, only gets better the farther south you go!
  8. rubberband

rubberband Will ride for tacos

Oddometer:
    total mileage of loop?
  9. motojunky21

Oddometer:
    I would say about 180 miles, the GPX is 249, but includes the run from Beavercreek. I do this as a day run fairly often, usually takes me 5 1/2 to 6 hours to run the loop from Greenfield south and back, but everyone else says plan on all day.
    rubberband likes this.
  10. wb416

Oddometer:
    I had a comp day and beautiful weather, so I finely got around to 100 miles of the southern portion of your route between Rt 32 and Rt 125, sometimes skipping roads around or east of Shawnee I've already done plenty of times. Awesome awesome route!! New SW Ohio favorite that isn't far from home!

The tracks I have say SOAL Part 1. Are there other parts published?
    12bridn, rbsride365 and motojunky21 like this.
  11. motojunky21

Oddometer:
    There's only one part, soalop1 is an slightly different route. My crappy phone will not let me edit tracks. Will lay down a new track when I get enough time to run the whole thing. Not enough light this time of year.
    wb416 likes this.
  12. wb416

Oddometer:
    No worries. Now that I've run your route, I can combine it with what I've learned from Gravelmaps.com and come up with infinite variations.

I also used a GPX editor to remove your inbound/outbound legs from Dayton and left the loop you ran.

upload_2020-2-6_9-2-28.png
    Maximus Power likes this.
  13. motojunky21

Oddometer:
    Did you do the Scioto Brush Creek crossing or bypass on 348?
  14. wb416

Oddometer:
    I bypassed it. I slowed down and thought, "that can't be right". It looked like a lane on a farmer's field next to the structure. Also, the embankment on both sides looks rutty and muddy, so I skirted around on 348. Maybe another time I'll cross there, or if I'm with someone else that can help pickup a bike in sketchy conditions.
    motojunky21 likes this.
  15. motojunky21

Oddometer:
    It's a road according to all the maps I've seen, even has a stop sign. Water can be deep at times, but that's part of the fun!
    wb416 likes this.
  16. wb416

Oddometer:
    Got to the OPTIONAL tracks yesterday.... the one on Carter Run Rd with the steep up and down hill. At first with all the paved road I was skeptical about these optional tracks, then BAM... there it was. I can see that if things were wet and slimey it would be a tough choice. Nice find!
    motojunky21 likes this.
  17. wb416

Oddometer:
    I have a question regarding a section at the southern end below SR125, in the Blue Creek area. I was looking at the road on Google, Gravelmaps, and Rever. Two of them don't show a road for part of that section, and Rever only shows it as Buckeye Trail. This is a short dirt road section. I'll try to attach photos.

How did you come across this section as part of your route? I'm curious as my wife and I were riding on it yesterday and wanted to show her where we had gone. I can't find it shown as a road anywhere (yet). Thanks.

It was definitely muddly sloppy on the hills there yesterday!

upload_2020-3-2_7-2-52.png

upload_2020-3-2_7-3-14.png

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    motojunky21 and Amphib like this.
  18. motojunky21

Oddometer:
    That section is shown as roads in the DeLorme Gazetteer and on USGS topo maps that I use to find routes. It's a non-maintained county road, as is the road it tees into near the top of the hill. Lots of good stuff down that way! I use Backcountry Navigator as my GPS app, it allows me to chose my background maps and I use old USGS maps. They used to be the best to navigate by back in the day before GPS and older versions sometimes show roads that don't exist anymore. That spot can be a little tricky when wet for sure, your wife is awesome for even attempting that one. Hope nothing was hurt but pride. Don't mean to imply that women can't ride as well as men, but I thought I saw that she has limited dirt experience.
    wb416 likes this.
  19. motojunky21

Oddometer:
    Rode most of the loop a few days ago, with all the rain we have had, saw no problems. Actually just the opposite, road crews put some new gravel in places. Wish they would just let it be! Also in these trying times we are in, I think it bears repeating, that these are public roads that run by people's houses and we may not be that welcome at the present time. Please show some respect, we are all ambassadors of our sport, slow down when passing homesteads. Plenty of places to stretch your legs.
    ZachM1, i4bikes, B-Mac and 1 other person like this.
  20. 625SXC

625SXC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was looking at the route in Basecamp and zoomed in.... about the " 3:00 position" i see a spot where the track takes a 90 degree turn west then turns back and continues on the track.............. I assume this is from a waypoint being put off the route by mistake.... or is there some point of interest to see off the track?