I've got S.O.A.L.!

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by motojunky21, Aug 24, 2019.

1. josefmd

josefmd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The S.O.A.L loop like the one in southwestern IN are made utilizing “public “ roads, so anything like no trespassing signs I will continue to ignore! Do as you wish, but the homeowner’s around some of these “ unmaintained” roads are a little over the top with trying to restrict use of such roads….
    motojunky21, B-Mac and GAS GUY like this.
  2. Old 179

Old 179 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, people do put up illegal signage. A quick trip to the local county highway department can provide the info needed. This should be done with the road in this discussion! Our GPS can still show roads that have long been abandon. If shown, it does not mean they are still legal. Examples are the state/national forest area's.
    motojunky21 and josefmd like this.
  3. burnem21

burnem21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone plan on riding this route this week/weekend and would let another rider tag along? Ive day tripped and rode the southern portion some. I also went and camped out in shawnee forest with the intent on riding it all the next day but a big storm sent me back home. So yet to ride it all. Im on a T700 coming from slightly north of cincy/275
  4. Maxxxx

Maxxxx n00b

Oddometer:
    Not an expert here, but -once in basecamp- have you tried right clicking on the track and converting it into a route? Garmin won't provide turn by turn directions for a track.
    hope it helps!
  5. josefmd

josefmd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am thinking about going out Thursday to do more of the S.O.A.L. I am up north in Springboro.
  6. burnem21

burnem21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I shot you a message.
  7. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    In Search of S.O.A.L.
    Part Eleven​

[​IMG]

Alexander Hollow Road

We rode around the road closed barrier.​

A group of riders on shiny new 250's (Honda's and Yamaha's) were coming towards us from the other direction as we started our way down Alexander Hollow Road.​

The lead rider stopped me and asked, "Do you happen to know a way around that downed tree back there?"​

"No, I'm not familiar with the area and am simply following a designated route." Then I asked him, "Can you get around the tree?"​

"There is a rough way around, but we're not trying it. Good luck!" He said before throttling away.​

Hmmm ... and these guys are on little bikes. Doesn't sound promising. But I must see for myself. I'm not easily discouraged. Especially when another rider is present.​

When we got close, we dismounted and walked down to evaluate the situation.​

As we descended the downhill, eroded trail to the downed tree. There lay a rider on his side next to his DRZ 400 with blood on his face and dripping down his nose:​

[​IMG]

He said, "I got sucked down into that ditch while turning around and pulled something in my leg."​

He was with that group on the 250's and they didn't yet realize that he was hurt. He wasn't alone. Another rider was there with him, so he rode his bike back up and out, before walking back down to retrieve his own.​

The hurt rider looked astonished as I came rolling past him on the massive GSA.​

Later we would see them ride past as we were parking our bikes for lunch in Bainbridge at the Paxton Restaurant (decent food and fair prices).​

Now to get around this downed tree! On sloping terrain - after all of that rain no less.​

This was our last stretch of trail, before having completed the entire route, besides a few paved roads back into Bainbridge. We may as well finish off this grand adventure with an exclamation point!​

We had to negotiate somewhat of a short trials course through the forest here in order to bypass the tree. We had to leave the rutted road by way of climbing over a steep berm that you had no chance of getting square to before the attempt. Then you had to slide down a slick, wet, dirt hill before traversing a rock garden - slick with moisture and mud - while turning left to set up for a steep drop back down to the road. Kenny was looking apprehensive as I walked it. The whole time I was explaining to him the lines we would take and the techniques we'd employ. That's one thing about Kenny, you might not convince him ... but he is game regardless.​

I'd ride it first and then coach him through the the sequence.​

Before starting I gave him my phone for pictures but his photographic composition skills are not so stellar ... so my head is cut off in most of the pictures. Or they are blurry. Probably should have fired up the GoPro and had him film it as the action cam has a wider view. No worries though, as I snapped off some pictures when he went through.​

I made it through clean, other than a few dabs and the back tire sliding around. Getting up the berm and into the woods had my skid plate kissing the earth. Not only did you have to power up there, but then you had to exhibit flawless clutching, throttle, and brake control skills to stop instantly at the top, setting up for the slick descent. Then I'd employ an old technique of mine for descending the slick dirt by killing the engine, engaging first gear, and then modulating forward progress with the clutch and brakes. The bike will slide some but you use balance and body-english to reach the bottom in an upright position. Powered through the slick rock garden with the back tire thrashing about a bit. Then the steep drop back down to the road looked ominous but was simple compared to the other three impediments.​

Kenny did exceptionally well, considering he was on a more-or-less new bike and hasn't had the opportunity to ride much the last few years.​

He made it on top of the berm with only a brief over-revving of the throttle and slight misposition:​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He made it halfway down the descent before the bike slid out:​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After I helped him recover, he made it through the rock garden but ended up a little wide and stopped - but still upright. He was getting anxious now and spinning his tire while working too hard:​

[​IMG]

I told him, "Stop. Relax and breathe. Take your time and think. Don't let anxiety and anticipation rob you of your intelligence. We have all day. You only have 20-feet to go and their is nothing to get excited about. Be confident:"​

[​IMG]

Then he shifted his weight, used proper throttle and clutch control and powered out of the soft forest floor - with finesse - to stage and get set, before dropping back down to the road:​

[​IMG]

Fist bump!​

[​IMG]

Evaluate the obstacles, decide what line you will take and what techniques you will employ. Relax. Breathe. Be confident. Once you start forward - commit! You already made your plan. Don't ever second guess it or be apprehensive once you decide to tackle something. If you are, don't even attempt it, turn around instead.​
    (Pee Wee), simmons1, Myll and 4 others like this.
  8. Myll

Myll Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Relax, breathe and confidence. Never more true words. I've had to remind myself and others of that.
    GAS GUY and simmons1 like this.
  9. burnem21

burnem21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im thinking about running the route Sunday, I could either do a day trip or camp open to either. Im coming from a little north of Cincy. Anyone else want to tag along?
  10. Roose97

Roose97 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Had some fun exploring. Will be back!! Definitely some spots where caution is wise, depending on your skills. Found some areas that would great for dirt bikes too. That last pic, doesn't due justice for the elevation or looseness of those rocks.
    SOALBikes.jpg SOALCreek2Crossing.jpg SOALAlienPlanet.jpg SOALQuarry.jpg SOALCemetary.jpg
  11. cskochera

cskochera dummy

Oddometer:
    Rode half of the SOAL last weekend with my dear friends @hoffguy and derek (not an inmate uh oh) on 250 dual sports - NX250/WR250R/CRF250L. Started in Cincinnati, got on at Greenfield and went counterclockwise. We did a good amount of the TOT earlier this year and the SOAL was very similar. Great route. Lots of homemade "road closed" signs which was kind of suspect...most of them we ignored. Broke off at Pike Forest OHV trails and screwed around a bit.

Made it down to Armstrong Cemetery and got stickers. Thanks @motojunky21 , we left you one of our crew's stickers.

Split off from there to camp on a horse farm by Shawnee forest. Ate lots of pepperoni rolls and drank lots of whiskey. Was excited to finish the loop the next day but rain had other plans. Took 52 back to Cincinnati soaking wet but just in time to watch some WW2 planes do some formations.

Got lots of video from the ol GoPro and edited it down. Included are Pike trails (ignore my poor off-road skills), gravel, dirt, water crossings and Hank of course.

12. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    In Search of S.O.A.L.
    Final (Part 12 of 12)

Finishing up the route on US-50 through farmland, forest, and hills.
    Heading west into Bainbridge to finish up the entire route (SOAL):​

[​IMG]

While not centrally located on the route, Bainbridge, coupled with our (nearby) basecamp at Pike Lake, would act as the hub of our adventure. A point of reference as well as a food and fuel stop. It's a small town, but is located along the prominent US-50. Bainbridge is also home to the first dental school in the United States.​

[​IMG]

As we were parking the bikes in front of the Paxton Restaurant for lunch (on Friday), a unique architectural detail showcasing itself against the splotchy sky caught my eye and beckoned to be photographed:​

[​IMG]

Grabbing lunch before breaking camp and heading north:​

[​IMG]

Potts Hill Road (28) - Leading from Bainbridge to Pike Lake Road and the campground. As do so many of these wonderful Ohio roads, it passes through farmland and hills:
    [​IMG]

Same road - heading back towards Bainbridge while heading home:​

[​IMG]

We stopped and took a few pictures as we passed through Washington Court House, Ohio. I love these small, old Ohio Towns:​

[​IMG]

Some interesting history! And we think things are crazy now:​

[​IMG]

It happened to be coffee time, so we searched out and found a quaint coffee shop tucked down a side street:​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we stayed rolling 'till we made it on home. Woke Saturday morning feeling good. Started going through my pictures of the ride and jotting down some notes.​

Woke up Sunday morning feeling kind of rough.​

Went to bed Sunday night and I was freezing.​

Woke up Monday morning burning up, with a headache, and bad body aches.​

Called in to work and went to get tested for Covid. I knew it had struck. Positive!​

Quarantine and some rough days began. Then it got rougher as both my daughters and my wife became sick.​

My wife was the worst, she had a fever and temperature between 100 and 105 for a week. I was worried.​

The kids and I weren't hit too bad physically (overall), but the emotional side was a challenge. For us, this Covid had a dark, depressive aspect attached to it. We felt disconnected and lost as if we weren't ourselves. It was really bizarre.​

It took two weeks before I could really work and another two before I felt grounded and myself again. My smell is just now returning.

[​IMG]
    jpelaston, cskochera and XT Traveler like this.
  13. motojunky21

motojunky21 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jeff, boy you and Kenny really had an adventure, hope you and your family are fully recovered with no lasting effects.
    i4bikes and GAS GUY like this.
  14. osbo

osbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Late notice, but if anyone is interested in riding the SOAL tomorrow, Saturday 9-18-21 , let me know. I will be starting in Pebbles and riding counter clock wise. I will trailer in from Butler County. Kick stand up about 9 am. PM me if you want to ride with me. Fast or slow, new or expert, anyone welcome.
    12bridn likes this.
  15. 12bridn

12bridn I need throttle therapy

Oddometer:
    Watch the water crossings, lots of rain yesterday and forecast for tonight.
    osbo likes this.
  16. Munzo

Munzo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Two of us are riding up from Cincinnati this weekend. I'll be on a Tiger 955i and my buddy will be on a Versys. Will we have any issue with the stretch between 32 and 50 if we are both running 80/20 tires?
  17. 12bridn

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna try to head out there in a bit. Took the day off.
  18. 12bridn

Oddometer:
    Is it all this good?! Holy crap. I did the western part of the half below 32. It’s about a 90 minute ride out and I started late. Took my time and took a few pics. Can’t wait to get back!

is the first pic still part of the official track? I downloaded the one from post 1.
    00B1A2AB-7D72-431A-82E9-2AAE4A373EEB.jpeg 718D2A6B-5B2C-4F56-B286-670D75977DF4.jpeg 364756B7-4404-456D-A571-A3308777DB43.jpeg 44FCA45D-8C41-4018-8095-473F99660AD0.jpeg 1BBB5562-E485-4B8B-B9A9-CAA57761BDFD.jpeg 3B15785E-3EB3-4669-89E8-445E08FEF016.jpeg 8937DCCC-DB6C-4456-A813-0E45B3C49791.jpeg 45A21D07-B940-44F4-A412-98C3984E3BE7.jpeg 734F1C88-8800-4FEC-A918-F58EAD87B351.jpeg
  19. 12bridn

Oddometer:
    Roose97 and motojunky21 like this.
  20. motojunky21

motojunky21 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The first pic looks like Puntenney Rd, it's part of what I call a challenge section. The northern part isn't as good, but I did the best I could with what is out there. Glad you are enjoying it.