IZH Planeta Sport Flat Track Project and a search for 'MATTY'

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by lowisdmr, Apr 4, 2020.

1. lowisdmr

lowisdmr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_1443.JPG IMG_2744.JPG IMG_2969.JPG IMG_5725.JPG
    spokester likes this.
  2. lowisdmr

lowisdmr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just getting to grips with posting here hence the group load of pictures with no writing..

Ive been on ADV for a few years using the wealth of knowledge on previous posts to answer my questions.

So now its time to post about my own bike !
  3. lowisdmr

lowisdmr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I picked up this IZH planeta sport a year and a half ago.. in the condition above.

I got it running pretty much straight away with the intention of building a flat tracker

Once i got it running a test ride prooved that it wouldnt rev much above halfway through the range so stripped and cleaned the carb, this made no difference, then replaced the carb which did change the way the bike rode but it still hit a pretty defined limit half way up the range.

Compression was OK and the cases/inlet seemed pretty well sealed so it suggested spark/timing.

After pricing up all NOS parts i decided id have a crack at fitting a modern CDI ignition as this allowed me to run without a battery (the IZH uses an electromagnet alternator so requires a battery to produce power + spark)

The internal windings were chiseled off the internal rotor to leave me with a shaft which we turned a taper on the end to take the modern flywheel and i also made an adaptor to bolt on the modern backplate. This was successful and the bike runs and revs all the way to the top of its range.. without a battery.
  4. lowisdmr

lowisdmr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Which brings me to the search for MATTY.. he has been a good source of info on these bikes from what ive read of his forum posts. Anyone that doesnt know IZH is a Russian brand and although there is info out there about them its not as easy as the more common Jap stuff.

For whatever reason i cant start a conversation with MATTY as he must have the PM receive feature turned off...

So if your reading this mate id love to get in touch as i have a few questions for you and loads of original parts i no longer have a use for you ,might be interested in.
  5. lowisdmr

lowisdmr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here it is since adding longer rear shocks, different bars, new tyres and adapting the frame to take the tracker seat and after being painted.

TVQM2785.JPG
  6. lowisdmr

lowisdmr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And here again back together for its first test ride. Its now currently stripped as the engine/gearbox wants new bearings
    PDPJ4905.JPG
    spokester and altf4 like this.
  7. spokester

spokester Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesomist IZH ever!:clap