1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Jacket advice

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Amphib, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Hey all. I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a new jacket and feel I need to pull my head out of the rabbit hole and take in some other points of view....... the whole analysis paralysis thing.

Research pretty much got me focused on the Klim Latitude or Carlsbad. After finally getting a chance to touch the Latitude and try it on...im kind of in between a L and an XL,iI really liked it and the XL would work great with winter layering. The shop had no Carlsbad, but I did get a chance to try on the Rev It Off-track and Sand 3...im a 2XL!!?! I hate the flashy color schemes, but jackets felt very nice and well constructed and designed.

What was attractive to me about the Klim is the waterproof shell and they sell bland color schemes. I usually wait to long to pull over and zip in a liner..... Oh it'll pass, I'll dry out quick....

My thoughts are this next jacket would serve the winter part of my 3 seasons. I have a rukka airway for the summer.

My price range is up to about $600-700.

Am I missing any really good options here? Is focusing on a waterproof shell a good thing? Will the XL that fit me in the latitude be the same as the carlsbad? How good is the venting in the Klim?

I've been dealing with hand-me-downs and random good deals second hand here. It's been a mixed experience and I feel in my gear progression it's time to find something that I specifically seek out and purchase new or barely used. I live in asheville nc, like to tour, ride realistically 70% on the road 30% off.

Tia!
    Cameleer and Fat Toney like this.
  2. Biggesthead

Biggesthead Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How often do you ride in or through the rain?
  3. Amphib

Oddometer:
    I don't commute. Rain doesn't stop me from riding. I've been on some trips it rained the whole time and some it never did. I've probably put my rain suit on 6 times in 14,000 miles this year.

Edit. And many more where I didn't bother stopping and got soaked, or there was no good place to pull over. I can deal with being wet in the summer.

I would absolutely skip the waterproof shell jackets if I could only wear them below 60f. I do want some temperature flexibility.
  4. Ccieurzo

Ccieurzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went through the same thing last year trying to decide between the Latitude and Carlsbad. From a sizing standpoint I felt the Latitude fit a little better. It’s a thicker material, and the same size Carlsbad felt a little too baggy (and a little less protective) on me. I ended up with the Latitude. Venting is very good, and the jacket is comfortable in temps up to the mid 80s, depending on humidity and whether you are moving or stuck in traffic.
    Just to make your decision a little harder, you might want to consider Aerostich for their Roadcrafter or Darien jackets. They don’t look like much, but they are waterproof and last forever. I sold my 21 year old Stich two piece last summer and it still worked fine. It just didn’t fit me all that well anymore.
    Amphib likes this.
  5. Amphib

Oddometer:
    Great feedback, thank you. What made you go with the latitude vs replacing the aerositch?
    Ccieurzo likes this.
  6. Ccieurzo

Ccieurzo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It was a pretty superficial reason, actually. I needed some high vis on the jacket so I wasn’t required to wear a reflective vest on base, and the Klim was much better looking than the Stich. Also, I really liked the arm vents on the Latitude. It definitely provides better ventilation.
    Amphib likes this.
  7. Amphib

Oddometer:
    The aerositch offerings certainly seem like an incredible value. I was just reading up on them. I do prefer more of an understated look, but I'm keying in on your ventilation comment. I think where I live and ride, I'll favor better venting.

Thanks again for commenting and giving me a hand with this.
    Ccieurzo likes this.
  8. shinyribs

shinyribs Thumpers for life

Oddometer:
    I'm very happy with a Scorpion Yosemite jacket. I live in SW VA. Plenty of venting for summer and all the vent zips are waterproof. It uses a zip in waterproof liner that I've never tested as I just use a stand alone rain suit. But without the thermal liner installed, just using the vents, I'm good from 60°-100°+.

Never been a fan of flashy gear either, but I got the red/light grey version and immediately saw people noticing me vs my other blacked out gear, so it's not a bad thing to consider a little color in your life.
    Amphib likes this.
  9. AUTOT3K

AUTOT3K Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I went with a Klim Badlands. I originally wanted to check out the latitude but decided to try the badlands pro, ended up loving it and getting it and have zero regrets.
    Due to my build being on the shorter and muscular side (5'11 and 225lbs) the XL was way to long but the large fit fairly well. I can cram a hoodie under it but I found a good hiking sweater to be perfect. Thinner yet warmer and the size doesn't go outside the jacket meaning nothing to become a water sponge.
    I don't live in an area prone to rain according to statistics but the last 5 years have all had record breaking rain and this year I've had more rain days then not plus I go to the west coast a bunch so a ready to go water proof jacket that isn't gonna weigh 85lbs with a soaking outer layer is key to me.
    My hottest is about 34*C and that's less often thankfully. Usually I'm riding in 22-28*C for most of summer and then 4-13*C for the spring and fall months.
    The venting on mine works extremely well. At 22*C with a slight sweat and all the vents open at highway speeds it actually gets chilly enough to give goose bumps.
    Also don't forget the Klim has your back guarantee so if you go down within 5 years you get a replacement, that means something to me!

So get the Klim and don't look back!
    Amphib likes this.
  10. Gerg

Gerg The Destroyer

Oddometer:
    The struggle is real.
    I have:
    First Gear Kilimanjaro Air (no longer made)
    First Gear Kilimanjaro
    First Gear Scout (full leather)
    Joe Rocket Air
    Motoport (first jacket I had. Multiple liners)
    And a couple more.

Liners... you're wet before you get the liner in. You turn it into a internal shower by the time you get it in.
    Probably the best jacket has been the Kilimanjaro. Water tight, warm enough except for the dead of winter. Vents well enough in the spring and fall. The Kilimanjaro Air covers the fringe seasons around summer and dead on summer. It has a waterproof liner that'll add insulation and water resistance when needed.

Klim has always been a bit rich for me.

Follow https://www.motorcyclegear.com/ (used to be new enough.com) for some good deals. Until you start down the slippery slope you really won't know what works for you.

PS the First Gear Scout is by far the best protection. Good thick leather and absolutely windproof (warn too). Does everything good except rain.
    Amphib likes this.
  11. Amphib

Oddometer:
    I sure like the price of the scorpion and kilimanjaro... Both have a color scheme I could live with.

I appreciate all the input. I'm enjoying having other options to consider. This process would be easier if my budget was north of $1000. But I'll save that for down the road.

I'm still thinking of sticking with the waterproof shell. I hate heavy jackets that won't dry overnight and I concur with @AUTOT3K.....the only times I seem not to get wet is when it's raining before I get on the bike.
  12. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mosko moto basilisk- breathable, waterproof shell. Also in your price range

Only two colors and the green was really the only option for me.

Very happy so far. Been in the rain and it kept me dry. Haven’t been on a real trip w it yet but look forward to it.

Im coming from a Klim traverse. I would say it is a bit heavier and doesn't breath nearly as well as the basilisk.
    Amphib likes this.
  13. Amphib

Oddometer:
    I wasn't really considering going with component protection, but that looks really great. What are you using for impact protection?
  14. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I just went through this whole jacket soul-searching thing as well, and last week pulled the trigger on the Klim Latitude. You are 100% correct about the getting wet part. Although I have a very nice set of rain gear (AlpineStar's Hurricane - fits and works great!) here's the real-world issue that never goes away;

1. Riding along and notice ominous-looking rain clouds on the horizon.
    2. Start guessing when I will need to stop, drag out the rain gear and put on.
    3. Keep riding, thinking "I might get lucky and the rain will either be just a mist for a few mins, or totally miss me".
    4. OK - it's just starting to drizzle. I'm not really getting wet, yet, just a few more mins and I'll be safe.
    5. OK, dammit. I need to pull over. This is even worse if there are others in the group, gotta get them to stop or at least know why I stopped before they get too far out of sight.
    6. While I'm getting wet, I'm frantically digging my crap out of wherever I put it, lol. At best, it's a minor annoyance, but still a drag. Hopefully it's not warm or hot out, as now I'm probably going to sweat while wearing the rain gear.
    7. Well..... it quit raining, for now, but still looks like it could rain any time. Whack-a-doo, what to do!?

Everyone that has ridden much at all has been there and knows this scenario well. My last trip (5,200 miles in July) had me riding in the heat (high 90's) to mountain tops (low 40's). Saw a couple minor rain showers, nothing drastic, but enough time to see how others that had Klim gear on react to the weather. When wearing gear that has a bonded layer of GoreTex to the outer shell, rain will be a total non-factor. When planning on multi-day trips, paying close attention to weather patterns trying to determine what gear you need to bring just sucks after awhile. Rain gear takes up space and is one more thing to keep track of.

What I did see on this last trip - two of my friends were wearing the Badlands jackets, not sure of the pants, and they did get pretty warm a couple days, but still tolerable. In the Badland's defense, we did see close to 100° one day and nothing is comfortable in that environment. Seeing that, and my high tolerance to heat, the Latitude made more sense for me. The Latitude also is much less "busy", I don't want or need pockets everywhere, lol. While I have not yet had a chance to put the Latitude through any tests (just got it this past Friday), I've worn it around the house a bunch and sat on the bike with it to make sure of the fit/function before cutting off the tags. Everything looks great and I don't have any worries that it will serve me very well and meet my expectations. I will say though, it's design is best for "inside the cuff" gloves, so I will most likely be ordering some shorties. Also, use MotorcycleGear.com's sizing advice, as I believe their chart is more reliable than anyone else's charts (they use real-world human forms to check fit). For reference - I am 5'9" tall, 178 pounds with a 40.5" chest, athletic - build. The Medium Latitude fits me great, I have just enough room to wear a t-shirt and my Warm&Safe heated liner. That'll keep me warm down to 30-ish degrees, if the temps are lower I can wear a thermal t-shirt instead of a normal t-shirt.

The Klim jackets (and other high-end stuff aka Aerostitch, ect..) seem expensive upfront, yes, but still cheaper in the end than the nice 3 jackets I have that I have to juggle depending on the weather. I'm looking forward to laughing at the next rain storm or cold weather I encounter. :)
    JMZ, rvp7777 and CaseyB like this.
  15. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve used the Thor impact rig for years and have zero complaints. It certainly has saved my bacon a few times.
    [​IMG]
    It's more comfortable than it looks.

It's become a bit worn so this year I've been trying out some sixsixone stuff. https://sixsixone.com/collections/evo
    Their stuff is more for mountain bikers and I may have gone a bit too light weight.

Like a lot of others, I like to layer on my own. With a pressure suit you're covered for protection, then it's just about controlling comfort (hot day) and staying dry through the rain.
    Thats why I really like a good shell.

*For reference: I'm 5'11" 220 lbs and went with a XL on the basilisk. Fits well.

**I don't commute with the bike and I like to get dirty.
    nk14zp and Amphib like this.
  16. BMW-K

BMW-K F800GS FTW!

Oddometer:
    I much prefer the Revint gear over Klim if for no other reason than the fit. I find the Revint gear much more intelligently made - it's really the little stuff where you can tell how much thought Revint put into the designs.

Having said that, the one piece of gear that works absolutely best for me (*Mind you, SoCal here) is my BMW Rally 2 Pro. Pick an edition, it's still the one piece of kit I can totally build around for touring.
    tlwood99 and Amphib like this.
  17. Maverick2076

Maverick2076 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another vote for the Scorpion Yosemite. It vents well enough to wear in the heat of Texas summer. With a thermal layer underneath and the liners zipped in, it’s good down into the 30’s.
    Kyle K likes this.
  18. Hollywood D

Hollywood D Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got a revit Poseidon jacket brand new on eBay last year for $600. It’s full goretex but doesn’t sound like you really want that. I waited around a few months before I found the right deal.

Klim stuff fit like crap on me. Revit is just right.
  19. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One thing I’ll throw out on this subject since you’re 70% road is convenience. When I first started out with the Adv thing I was against all in one and wanted separate layers for flexibility, but after taking forever to get dressed all the time being able to throw on a jacket and pants over top of whatever I was currently wearing became a lot more appealing.

Having a jacket with built in protection that fits over top of your current clothes is convenient. At times, stopping somewhere and taking off my jacket rather stripping down my jacket, jersey, and compression suit is convenient.

On the other hand, separates are a huge advantage off road. With an all-in-one style jacket I have a choice of taking it off and riding unprotected or leaving it on and dying of heatstroke. With separate armour I can take off the jacket and still be protected.

I have a Klim Carlsbad. This year it’s rained more often than it’s not rained and I’ve never gotten wet in it. I chose black and the moment the sun started beating down on me in stop-and-go traffic I regretted it. On the open highway I’ve had no issues, but I’d recommend the grey or brown versions unless you like black enough you’re willing to suffer for it.

When I’m on-road or riding high speed trails I just wear the jacket with its built in pads. It’s convenient.

When I’m offroad I pull out the Carlsbad’s built in pads and wear a separate chest/shoulder/back protector (Leatt) over top. That way I get the jacket’s abrasion protection on the highway, but I can ditch the jacket when I start getting hot on the trail.

I have a compression suit (Fox), which was great for Mx with a jersey over it but on the highway it required owning oversized clothes/jackets to fit over it and I didn’t want to buy a bunch of new clothes, so it was cheaper/easier to switch to an external chest protector. YMMV.
    Amphib likes this.
  20. SASteve

SASteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the new Klim Lattitude also, really nice jacket and looks great too. I have two gripes with it though - at speed ( above 80 or so) the upper arms flap like crazy, way too big there and no cinch strap and really obnoxious at high speed. Goretex breathes compared to other waterproof stuff, but not nearly as good as non waterproof stuff, and anything over about 85 and that Lattitude is HOT if your going slow. With the vents open, and the collar held open by the (brilliant) hooks that hold it open its just fine when moving say over 25 or so, but if going slow working on the bike or just sitting in traffic it's an absolute oven
    Amphib likes this.