1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Jacket advice

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Amphib, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Motogasoline

Motogasoline Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These are really nice. They do everything I think I could need.

Attached Files:

08StangGT_CS and Amphib like this.
  2. radmann10

radmann10 Derf Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have First Gear jacket and pants, both good gear. I also have Rev It and Fly jackets. They all have their purposes, can't help with KLIM never had that much cash setting around.
    Amphib likes this.
  3. monzaman

monzaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just picked up a Klim Carlsbad jacket. Had a chance to ride with it over the weekend. I LOVE IT so far. I'm in Tn. so temps were in the low 90's during the day. If your moving there is good airflow with all the vents open. I can't speak to it's effectiveness in rain as of yet. The jacket is not to bulky or heavy. The material is reasonably flexible and not "scrunchy" like the badlands I had briefly. It looks good (imho). I really don't have anything negative to say about it at all. It doesn't have all the features of the high end jacket, but in reality a lot of that stuff is overkill for me. Hope this helps.
    Amphib likes this.
  4. Amphib

Amphib A mind is like a parachute....

Oddometer:
    Every post is helpful, thank you all. Great feedback. I'm hoping that the jacket serves the below 80° range for the most part. Getting too hot is definitely a consideration.

I was really impressed with the Rev it off track and sand 3. I just wish they didn't look like clown suits. (for me).... In this day in age, why in the hell wouldn't they make a plain black or gray, but the quality and feel of those suits was memorable. They should be sold at a haberdashery near the tuxedos.

I've got a month or two before I'm going to buy but I'm still leaning towards the latitude.....or possibly the carlsbad.

Spidi has a couple of good looking jackets, any of you have any experience with these?
  5. STLR

STLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amphib,

Consider the Rukka R.O.R., as you're already familiar with the brand.
    https://www.webbikeworld.com/rukka-ror-jacket-hands-on-review/
    https://www.webbikeworld.com/rukka-ror-pants-perfect-anywhere/

I am coming from Klim (Badlands (gen 2) and Adventure Rally Air), and had every intention of getting the Carlsbad until I tried it on. This is my first foray into the Rukka world, and fit and finish is what has sold me on the brand. I still am a Klim fanboy and use their lighter gear for layering in the dirt and dual sport realms. My goal for this new gear set was to get away from the overly heavy and complex adv kit but retain the function of a proper adventure touring suit.
    Kyle K and Amphib like this.
  6. Amphib

Oddometer:
    I was going to ask about this as well. I'm in love with rukka.... Trying to find some closeouts in my size. The r.o.r. I was not familiar with. Did you purchase armor or are you using a pressure suit? I've got some armor from a couple of other jackets I wonder if would fit.

Glad you mentioned this.
    STLR likes this.
  7. STLR

STLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have both, and use either dependent upon what I'm doing. For strictly touring/commuting, I use the armor pockets. If I'm on a BDR style trip, I'll use a harness or pressure suit so I can ditch the jacket in rougher terrain (reverting back to the layering approach).
    Amphib likes this.
  8. Amphib

Oddometer:
    My size 54 airway fits perfectly. Is rukka sizing pretty consistent?
  9. Amphib

Oddometer:
    I'm a life long hiker and I think I'm very attached to being able to layer. Maybe that's part of why I've not been happy with all in one jackets. My hiking base and mid layers are better than anything I've found in a motorcycle jacket.
  10. STLR

STLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure buddy as this is my first and only Rukka suit. Per the Revzilla video, sizing should be consistent.
    Amphib likes this.
  11. STLR

STLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    100%

That is my frustration as well, and why I have as much invested in gear as I do in a moto. Every "suit" I have has some significant compromises in the type of riding I do.
    Amphib likes this.
  12. BaldKnob

BaldKnob I Wanna Ride

Oddometer:
    Another vote for the Latitude... going into year 4 with mine and I love it. I’m in between sizes and went XL for layering purposes so a thin base, thermal and pac jacket will fit under for extreme cold weather. I go with the Induction once temps climb into the upper 80’s but the venting on the Latitude will keep things tolerable so long as you’re moving.

Other than losing a pull tab on a zipper... zero issues with the jacket. The hi-viz will fade rather quickly but expected.
    Amphib likes this.
  13. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The klim might be the be all for rain - dunno - but you'll still have to pull over to put on yer pants. You just have to do it - pants and a rain jacket - done. For cold, you can pile on a lot of stuff until they have to lower you on the bike like knights of yore, but electrics are the ticket. With that flexibility you can save a bundle on the jacket, be unencumbered by super heavy stiff gear, and really be ready for any weather.
    Junglejeff1 and Amphib like this.
  14. Amphib

Oddometer:
    Good points. I'm currently using the klim dakar pants which I love..... Not waterproof, but I don't get as wet as in jeans. I'm fortunate that other than my feet, my lower body doesn't really get cold or hot. I've been seen in shorts in the winter.

The jacket I chose will probably be followed by matching pants.

My entire motorcycle career has been about bundling up, trying not to get too cold or wet, using carhartts or other non motorcycle specific gear. In the last couple of years I've made a concerted effort to get more protected... Didn't used to even wear helmets! I have noticed that my riding experience improves with better gear..... I'm not needing the best, or most expensive, but gear is part of the hobby for me. I like to travel, ride year round and I'm looking at this next jacket as kind of a base point for future acquisitions. I have a dainese explorer.... It's Ill fitting, leaks like a sieve, zippers and velcro are failing, stitching is coming out. I have an ill fitting old fieldsheer adv type jacket. It vents poorly, but I can fit my down Patagonia under it and other than my hands be fine down into the single digits.....its fairly waterproof and I'm saving that jacket for only the coldest days.

Electric gear is in my future, but I'm not ready to go that route just yet.

I'm kind of looking at this purchase like I approach buying tools. If it's something I'm going to use every day, I'm buying the best. I never buy the cheapest unless I'm treating it as disposable, or only rarely used. Most of my fretting and the reason for this thread is I'm hoping that between this next jacket and my rukka, I'll be upper body set for at least a few years.
    SASteve and scootertrog like this.
  15. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    As I get older, I want to screw with less gear and make it simpler. The three jackets I have plus the rain suit cost far more than a Klim jacket and pants, and not having to predict what to wear because of the weather, or pull over to put on or remove a rain suit has incalculable costs.

Heated liner, like the Warm&Safe is a revelation! Layering becomes a non-issue as well. :)
    Junglejeff1 and Amphib like this.
  16. SASteve

SASteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Totally get that, age and wisdom changes things, and having kids changed a lot of things for me too, I was a no helmet T-shirt guy for a long time but now i'm an ATGATT guy most of the time and I research like crazy and get the best gear I can afford
    ssgmiddleton, CaseyB and Amphib like this.
  17. Amphib

Oddometer:
    How do some of us even make it this far! :lol3
    Junglejeff1 and CaseyB like this.
  18. ssgmiddleton

ssgmiddleton Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have always pieced together different bits of riding gear based on what was on sale or what fit me at the time. This year I bought a full set of used Klim gear from a good friend and I love it so far. Granted I got a different model than you were looking at, mine is the Kodiak suit. It is in all black which I'm not a huge fan of but I don't mind it either. Everything about the suit seems great to me. The fit is pretty slim on that model as it is European sizing and it has D30 armor. All in all the Klim gear is just a different category of quality compared to anything else I've ever had in the past. So far no complaints and I may hve become brand loyal to Klim after having this suit.
  19. Greg the pole

Greg the pole There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Oddometer:
    Klim badlands pants and jacket.
    Jacket is now going on 7 years use, avg. of 15k km a year. Fits great, water proof, no liners to screw around with. Very good ventilation. 1st gen armor was very stiff. It's a heavy jacket, but you get used to it.
    I've had it in for warranty for one zipper (free of charge). Now the same zipper has given up the ghost. I will file another warranty claim this winter.

Pants. The original pants fit well, and lasted six years. I started having leaks in the crotch area...:1drinksent the pants in. Got a brand new set of pants back. Free.
    They fit well, and the updated armor seems to provide more coverage. Also more pockets, and better venting vs the old pants. Again, no liners or bs.

I ride from about -5C (if I have to) to whatever..commute in season.
    We don't have real hot days here, but have seen 35c. For cold days, I simply run a heated inner jacket (sleeves, collar heated, on a t-stat). Too lazy to layer.

I would def. buy again. Not cheap no, but it's my only gear, and it gets used daily when I ride.
    Junglejeff1, bbanker and Amphib like this.
  20. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Second the Klim opinion above. I wear it 3 seasons - have a revit vented jacket for the summer. I have the Badlands, and the Lattitude pants. I'm 6'1 and #250 so got the XXL Jacket and the XL tall pants. Love them. Similar issue with the wet crotch, sent back and sent them back repaired for a "seam fracture." No charge. Sometimes you get what you pay for. I also use a Gerbing heated jacket liner in the winter. Love it. Never had a leak in the Badlands Jacket.

Edit - that's not true. I've gotten wet in the Badlands jacket but only because I didn't get everything adjusted the way I needed to. Water down the collar or I didn't get a vent all the way closed. Operator error only...
    Amphib likes this.